Surrendering alcohol prior to boarding at ports in Australia?

R & R Carroll

We will be cruising Australia and New Zealand in February departing from the White Bay Cruise Terminal in Sydney. The website for the port states, "Duty-free, tax free and personal alcohol purchased on shore must be surrendered by passengers at embarkation or prior to boarding at any port." :eek: We will be passengers on Oceania which does allow passengers to bring alcohol on board at all ports of call. So I'm a bit confused (not quite panicking...), if our cruise line allows it will the port authorities, or will our wine be confiscated? :confused:

Our amazing TA contacted our cruise line who in turn contacted the port authorities. The only restrictions are the ones the cruise lines impose. The restriction regarding surrendering alcohol that I quoted in my original post only applies to Australian ships. :D

This is the response I received from the Port Authority. The cruise ship and not the port restricts the alcohol.

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifclear.gif

RE: Cruise Ship and Alcohol

Enquiries (Enquiries@sydneyports.com.au)

Add to contacts

10/22/14

clear.gif

Dear Jean,

I have been told before that alcohol is usually not allowed on board cruise ships – unless operators expressly say their guests can bring one or more bottles of wine with them. Cruise line representatives would need to sort out any dispute that arises on the day.

Confiscation is not a risk in your case – provided you comply with the alcohol allowances of your chosen cruise line.

Kind Regards,

Brendan Elliott | Community Engagement Manager

Edited by TERRIER1