African American ladies

I will be going on my first Carnival cruise next year. I am trying to figure out how I'm going to wear my hair. How do you usually wear your hair on your cruises?

It depends, do you plan on swimming? you can wear it natural or get a sew in, braids, is it long or short? wear a wrap or phony pony, By the way i love your avatar pic!:D

I have worn braids, twists and also my natural hair. I find the braids and twists get heavy and take a while to dry after swimming or snorkeling, but they are convenient and worry free. When I wear my natural hair I usually pull in back after I have gone swimming or snorkeling and add a ponytail or bun.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

On past cruises my hair was cut short so it was easy to just wrap it at night and bump a few curls in it. But this past cruise I wore micro braids on this past cruise and it was so convenient and so easy to style for every occasion. I'll probably wear them again for my cruise in December.

i normally get it braided. But since it's been 2yrs without the "creamy crack" i think i'm just going to go with my natural hair. Unfortunately my fro is not as "froish" as i would like (fine texture) so i'll probably add some curling promenade and go.

Depends on your hair texture, your current hair state, and how much water activities you plan on doing.:)

I LOOOOOOOOVE my micro braids! I've been wearing micros using deep wave hair for about 4 years now. Because the hair is already curly, I don't have to do anything to it. Don't use synthetic, use human or a human blend. You can see pictures of my hair in my reviews linked in my signature.

A full sew in is another option. I had a full sew in for my recent trip to Aruba. That will be a lot more high maintenance if you plan on getting your hair wet though. I learned the hard way that Remy hair and salt water aren't friends. :eek:

I have a perm and have used braids in the past. With the amount of water activities, I prefer to wash and bump with curling iron or use a head band, gel and air dry. Just go with your preference, don't over think.

I've been wearing braids for a year now and find them to be so easy. virtually zero maintenance. Prior to my braids I would wear my relaxed shoulder length hair in a wrap that way I could pull it back during the day and down during the evenings. I would usually bring a phony pony or a bun as a backup. I've even gone to the salon on board and had my hair washed and blown dry. Was very pleased with those results too!

I wear my hair short. Very similar to Monica or Hally Berry. I always make sure I have a fresh relaxer and cut prior to my cruise. Therefore when my hair gets wet, all I need to do is mold it down. I use Motions Foaming Wrap. My hair will air dry in roughly 2 hours.

When I went to the beach in Nassau, I used a scarf to hold me over while enjoying the port after swimming. I wrapped the scarf in a Gypsy style...not the Mrs. Butterworth look LOL :p

The scarf was some fabric I purchased at Joanns. I made sure the fabric matched my summer dress and I think I looked great. Once I got on the ship, I washed my hair and molded it down.

My daughter had a sew in with curly hair on the cruise and her friend had a quick weave. Be careful if you do the glued quick weave b/c water will be your enemy :eek:

I LOOOOOOOOVE my micro braids! I've been wearing micros using deep wave hair for about 4 years now. Because the hair is already curly, I don't have to do anything to it. Don't use synthetic, use human or a human blend. You can see pictures of my hair in my reviews linked in my signature.

A full sew in is another option. I had a full sew in for my recent trip to Aruba. That will be a lot more high maintenance if you plan on getting your hair wet though. I learned the hard way that Remy hair and salt water aren't friends. :eek:

Hi, GAPearl!

I read your Valor review, which was great, and saw your pics. Your braids are beautiful. I have been natural for 13 years, had locs for 10 1/2 years, and doing my own hair is a process. It takes me four hours to do mini twists. On my last cruise I got braids and they were awful because they were actually slipping out. They were only 2 weeks old so I blame the technician. Taking them out took forever. I wanted to know what kind of hair you use and do you get them wet? I had what was supposed to be human hair but they used boiling water to curl it, doesn't sound like human hair to me.

I cruise again in October so I have time to figure it out. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give me.

Melissa

I am 100% natural however I wear protective styles with sew-in weaves. I invest in really good virgin hair so if it get wet it can be washed and it will revert back to its standard wet & wavy look. However when it's first done I wear if curled in the Kim K look and I just take my flexi rods and/or curling iron with me. IMO you can't go wrong with a wet&wavy hair on the cruise you can wear it down, head band, pin it up or let it get wet! Good Luck!

One of my big beefs with Carnival is that there is nobody on the ship that can do African American hair in their salons.

On one of my cruises, about the second day of a 7 day, I was on the lido, minding my own business reading a book. Out of nowhere comes somebody from the "fun patrol" armed with a super soaker. This idiot literally saturated my book, hair and everybody else around me. It wouldn't have been so bad if we had been lounging around the pool in a bathing suit, but I wasn't, nor were the other victims. My hair was wringing wet and when it dried, I had an afro, previous to that it was freshly permed.

I complained to guest services and they offered me a free service in the salon, but nobody there could do African American hair, nor did they have the appropriate curling irons. I had to go around that ship with my hair in a disgraceful condition, apologizing for how it looked. I was mortified!

I am 100% natural however I wear protective styles with sew-in weaves. I invest in really good virgin hair so if it get wet it can be washed and it will revert back to its standard wet & wavy look. However when it's first done I wear if curled in the Kim K look and I just take my flexi rods and/or curling iron with me. IMO you can't go wrong with a wet&wavy hair on the cruise you can wear it down, head band, pin it up or let it get wet! Good Luck!

What brand of hair do you use?

Sisters, I am reading this post out of and smiling because some reading out of curiousity are probably wondering, "How do you SEW hair in?" LOL.

I remember trying to help my husband understand that the hair that he sees may not be the hair that was grown. LOL He's in his 70s and I will be 70 next week, so the new options women have today are totally new to him.

I have short hair that curls more when it is exposed to moisture shall we say? I gave up relaxers several years ago when I started doing water aerobics for my knees. I'd rather be relaxed, but the knees are more important than the hair so now it's just, "It is what it is."

Loving your responses and knowing that there is always a community of African American women willing to 'help a sistah out.'

Happy cruising to all of you !

Same with me. Oh and thanks for the flexi-rod tip! I live for them but never thought to bring them with me.

I love the virgin indian curly hair. It really is so easy. Its usually straight for the first day or two, then when it hits water it turns curly and thats usually how I keep it for the remainder of the cruise. I bring my own shampoo and conditioner wash thoroughly after being at the beach or in a pool.

Theres no way I would be going on any cruise to spend hours fighting with my natural hair every morning lol...nor would I ever assume the ships hairstylists were equipped for this sort of thing. Very particular about who does my hair and I want it to be as worry free as possible. I find the sew in does that for me.

I usually wear braids on a cruise. I recently had microbraids installed in my shoulder-length relaxed hair, but they made my hair break. I think I'm going tlo go with pencil braids this time. They worked great on my last cruise with no breakage.

I'm considering a sew in, but I'm concerned about the leave-out hair. How do you ladies manage your leave out hair after it gets wet?

Sisters, I am reading this post out of and smiling because some reading out of curiousity are probably wondering, "How do you SEW hair in?" LOL.

Guilty as charged! I've been finding this thread very interesting, but somewhat of a foreign language to me at times.

Archived