Las Vegas to Long Beach

MichFish

I see from searching on the web that the expected drive time between Las Vegas and Long Beach is 4 hours. Has anybody driven from LV to the Long Beach terminal? Is 4 hours accurate? This will be on a Sunday Morning.

Having driven that route numerous times, I would say that in the best of traffic conditions it will take you four and a half hours. But as one response said, leave very early to hopefully avoid traffic snarls that can happen at any time in California.:)

Personally I wouldn't drive it on the day of the cruise.:)

Or there could be a massive traffic jam in the middle of nowhere (where there are no alternate routes, BTW), which happens on I-15. Another reason to leave early is Sunday is when all the Southern Californians return from their weekend in Vegas. Sunday can have big westbound traffic jams in the Big Empty. And those that are trying to beat it are leaving Sunday morning, so you want to beat those folks who are trying to beat the later rush.

Go the day before.

Or there could be a massive traffic jam in the middle of nowhere (where there are no alternate routes, BTW), which happens on I-15. Another reason to leave early is Sunday is when all the Southern Californians return from their weekend in Vegas. Sunday can have big westbound traffic jams in the Big Empty. And those that are trying to beat it are leaving Sunday morning, so you want to beat those folks who are trying to beat the later rush.

Go the day before.

I was just going to post the same thing - I've been caught in that traffic jam before and it's a mess. No alternate route and no where to stop. If it was a weekday it probably wouldn't be an issue, but I don't think I would chance it for a cruise that leaves on a Sunday. Especially when you can leave on a Saturday, which most likely you have off already so it's not like you would have to take an extra vacation day.

Go the day before.

I was thinking this, and would definitely echo those who suggest getting to the LA area on Saturday, the day before your cruise. It always seems to me that the Vegas specials are during the week and not the weekend because there's so many people who go for the weekend.

A friend is a 911 dispatcher and her area covers a stretch of I-15. Once every 1-2 months there's inevitably a bad accident that completely shuts down the freeway (most stretches are 2 lanes). Due to the remoteness, there are no side roads to use as escape routes, and the shutdown is often several hours for emergency crews to respond, a lifeflight copter to fly in, investigators to collect evidence, and crews to clear the vehicles. Friday into LV and Sunday leaving LV are when it's most likely to happen.

Even with no accidents or construction, traffic builds steadily from 10am into the late afternoon. Another tip is that mapping programs may recommend Rte 91 west, once in the LA area. That often backs up even on weekends....consider using either 210 or 60 west, then 605 south into LB.

As others suggest either make the trip on Saturday night, or allow 6-7 hours just to be totally sure you won't miss the cruise. If it's a rental car, you will have to allow time to return the car and shuttle to the dock.

Listen to the Desert stations of 96.9FM, 98.9FM & 103.7FM for traffic info in the desert. 1070AM once you are down the Cajon Pass.

If you have a smartphone http://cad.chp.ca.gov/

Areas are Barstow and Los Angeles.

If you find out about a bad accident between Las Vegas and Barstow you can head down the 95 to the 40. At some points the 95 is one lane and like a roller coaster. This will had at least two hours to your drive.

Sadie has good advice. If there's something major, it will be on the news in LV, so check before you leave the hotel, or ask the concierge.

Once you get to roughly the NV/CA border you're pretty much committed to I-15. There are a few points farther on where you can detour off I-15 and cut over to I-40, but it involves secondary roads that aren't well-marked. Be absolutely sure of what you're doing if you decide to venture off of I-15.

Chances are everything will be fine, just allow plenty of time.

If you find out about a bad accident between .................quote]

Should have said "Before you leave Vegas and hear about a bad accident........."

Wouldn't recommend anything but the 95 or 93 out of Vegas as an alternate to the 15. The only safe recommendations once you are on the 15 would be the 58W to the 14S out of Barstow or the 18W before the Cajon Pass to the 14S.

If the Cajon Pass is blocked your best bet is to fly.

maps.google.com

Archived