Combining cruises to circle the globe

anandaindonesia

I hope to do a world cruise some day.

However, I am afraid I will be bored if staying in one ship for a very long time.

I am playing with an idea to combine a few cruises on different ships or even on different cruise lines, and eventually circling the globe.

Anybody has the experience doing this? Please share your thoughts and comments.

Thank you.

However, I am afraid I will be bored if staying in one ship for a very long time.

I am playing with an idea to combine a few cruises on different ships or even on different cruise lines, and eventually circling the globe.

Thank you.

See my post under "Planning for a World Cruise".

We did 144 days around the world over 4 Princess cruises -loved the great variety. This was done in a 35 month period. We did not set out to do it but once we had done 3 cruises I loooked for the last one to complete the route.

Ft Lauderdale to Rome (14 days). Rome to Sydney through the Suez (48 days). Sydney to LA and La to Rio de Janerio (60 days). Ft. Laderdale to Buenos Aires (22 days).

The only duplication was the stretch between Rio and BA.

The 48 day was on one of Princess small ships while the others were on the larger ships.

We did 144 days around the world over 4 Princess cruises -loved the great variety. This was done in a 35 month period. We did not set out to do it but once we had done 3 cruises I loooked for the last one to complete the route.

Ft Lauderdale to Rome (14 days). Rome to Sydney through the Suez (48 days). Sydney to LA and La to Rio de Janerio (60 days). Ft. Laderdale to Buenos Aires (22 days).

The only duplication was the stretch between Rio and BA.

The 48 day was on one of Princess small ships while the others were on the larger ships.

Hi,

May I ask if you stayed in each port until the departure of your next ship, or did you go back and forth from home? (I presume either one is a possibility considering your entire world tour occurred over 35 months but you were only at sea for 144 days...)

Our around the world set of voyages was done over 3 years doing late fall/early winter cruises and a spring time trans atlantic. Other than a few dyas in port pre cruise we were home the rest of the time ,

To try to paste something similar toghether using one or more cruise lines as one long vacation would be very difficult due to the fact that many exotic itineries are really repositioning and are only offered once or twice a year. Since repositioning cruises tend to be only certain times of the year it's hard too do a string of them to make up a custom world cruise.

I did look into seeing how far I could go on Princess last year and found you could start in New York mid summer (Ocean Princess) and sail to Southhampton via Greenland/Iceland and then on to Rome. Spend about 6 weeks doing Med cruises and then do Rome to Singapore, to Sydeny and then to Tahiti in January. You then fly to LA and do a Panama Canal cruise to Florida giving you a near world cruise. I am not aware of any 1 way Tahiti to LA or Florida up to NY needed to complete the trip

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I once spent a morning doing a fantasy RTW booking several years ago after reading the blog of an elderly gentleman who did MSC cause it was the cheapest. I told him I could get better pricing and I did. Only a few land days between the legs. They treated him awfully. These days a more diverse collection of longer cruises to combine.I may do it in a few yrs. Like Oceanias Insignia RTW itin. O and Celebrity would be my preferred lines. (In my price bracket).I have observed lines use older, marginal ships for World cruises. Not good.

Edited by zoncom

• 5 months later...

Thank you.

I managed to stringed the following cruises for a " World Cruise"

Mar. 22 - Apr. 05 2015 Singapore - Dubai Celebrity Century

Apr. 05 - Apr. 20 2015 Dubai - Rome Celebrity Century

Apr. 20 - Apr. 27 2015 Rome - Rome Costa Fascinosa

Apr. 27 - Apr. 29 2015 Rome - Fort Lauderdale Flight.

Apr. 29 - May 14 2015 Fort Lauderdale - San Diego Legend of the Seas

May 14 - May 24 2015 Ensenada - Honolulu Legend of the Seas

May 24 - Jun. 11 2015 Honolulu - Sydney Legend of the Seas

Jun. 11 - Jun. 25 2015 Sydney - Singapore Legend of the Seas

As I am from Singapore, World Cruise that starts and ends at USA or UK is not a good option.

The above schedule is a good substitute and save us the hassle of the air travel.

Furthermore, the total cost is much cheaper than the traditional World Cruise.

May be you would like to look at it

I managed to stringed the following cruises for a " World Cruise"... ...

As I am from Singapore, World Cruise that starts and ends at USA or UK is not a good option.

The above schedule is a good substitute and save us the hassle of the air travel.

Thank you for sharing this. I wish I could!

2015 we have committed to taking our grandchildren on Mariner OTS in Feb, and Canada on board Crystal Symphony in Sep-Oct for both of us.

Wish you a happy World Cruise!

Looking forward to reading your reviews.

Bon voyage.

PS - very true. The itinerary should starts and end in Singapore for us.

I planned exactly what you are talking about for January 2015

I am at work so I dont have my file with me but I remember most of them

In the end cost cheaper then staying on one ship. Plus all the OBC u get for each new cruise etc etc.

Looked like this

Early January Los Angeles-Fort Lauderdale on NCL

then 2 cheap caribbean cruises from FLL or Miami ( many choices but we picked MSC Divina and Carnival because we never tried them before...

Then Princess RUBY end of January for her big around South america voyage. We choose to book it as 3 segments for OBC reasons as well as getting to elite faster...need to exit ship then to reboard but we dont mind

so leg 1 FLL-Rio

leg 2 Rio-Valparaiso

leg 3 Valparaiso-Los-Angeles ( price is same booking 3 legs seperate or 1 trip)

From Los Angeles we are doing one or 2 short trip on princess then we fly to Australia

From there we do a New Zealand tour on a princess and also a repositioning 1 or 2 day cruise in Australia.

After that we are catching a HAL grand voyage doing Australia to Los Angeles so u do all the polynesia and fidji with stops in Hawaii.

Finishing the whole thing with a Celebrity cruise to Alaska from LAX.

Total cost is way cheaper then a 111 day around the world cruise.

You also get more ports andless sea days.

Now that fits us..might not fit others

If someone is interested I can send my spreadsheet with all the cost and comparaisons I made with other world cruises

Pete

Edited by PeteBull64

Great schedule, my only concern is the lack of a spare day between joining ships, especially the flight from Rome to Fort Lauderdale. At least the time difference is in your favour.

Good luck and enjoy.

Congrats Pete, I just booked Shanghai-LA on Oceania Insignias WC segments. I have done Ruby. A heads up about dinner upstairs in Cafe Caribe, back end of buffet. They do a different theme every night. Had open seating, would review both nitely menus, usually ended up in Cafe Caribe. Not crazy about Ruby MDR dinners. Saw your Ruby SA itin. Looks great.

• 2 months later...

Many people prefer to stick with one cruise line because they get perks after a few cruises such as free laundry. We have been on several and not accumulated anything.:rolleyes:

I would only do segments because I travel for the itinerary and the destination. Each disembarkation and re-embarkation day is a lost day to me. There is also the danger of not being on schedule if you do not insert several days in between.

Our two next trips are combinations of cruise and land trips.

That sounds like fun ..

• 3 months later...