Port Park or Hotel Park -Mobile

:confused:DH and I are sailing Holiday from Mobile on Oct 19. Having a hard time deciding whether to park at port and pay $75.00 or stay at Renaissance with parking and shuttle for $119.00 plus tax. DH wants to make sure vehicle is safe, but also wants convenience. Driving in from North Atlanta, but want to stay night before depart to insure no problems. Anyone else have experience doing one or the other, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!

:confused:DH and I are sailing Holiday from Mobile on Oct 19. Having a hard time deciding whether to park at port and pay $75.00 or stay at Renaissance with parking and shuttle for $119.00 plus tax. DH wants to make sure vehicle is safe, but also wants convenience. Driving in from North Atlanta, but want to stay night before depart to insure no problems. Anyone else have experience doing one or the other, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!

Your vehicle would be safe at either parking facility. You didn't mention if you would be parking at the Renaissance overnight for at least one night but I would think it would be a better deal to use the park and cruise with the shuttle. The Hampton Inn which is across the street from the Renaissance also usually offers a cruise parking package if you haven't checked with them. Their parking is in an open lot though instead of a garage if that matters to you but it is new - just opened in February.

The Renaissance hotel is very nice. I work across the street from the garage and park my vehicle there daily and have never had a problem.

The Renaissance is actually walking distance if you wanted to do it. Be sure to request a south facing room so that you can see the ship out of your window when you wake up in the morning. You will have a secured parking garage at either the port or the Renaissance. The value, convenience and money thing will all be up to you, but as far as security, one is as good as the other. Parking at the port can't be any more convenient, though, as the garage is part of the terminal. You pay at ground level and unload your bags, turn them over to a porter, park and take the elevator into the terminal.

Thank you for the comments. DH and I talked again and we are going with the Renaissance package. Thanks also for the advice of asking for a south facing room. It would be great to see the ship from our room in the morning. Adds to the excitement. Have either of you eaten in the restaurants at the hotel or could you suggest something else in the vacinity? We would probably be arriving around 7pm, so wouldn't want to go to far. We pretty much like all types of food. Thanks again for your assistance!

Thank you for the comments. DH and I talked again and we are going with the Renaissance package. Thanks also for the advice of asking for a south facing room. It would be great to see the ship from our room in the morning. Adds to the excitement. Have either of you eaten in the restaurants at the hotel or could you suggest something else in the vacinity? We would probably be arriving around 7pm, so wouldn't want to go to far. We pretty much like all types of food. Thanks again for your assistance!

I have never eaten at any of the restaurants in the Renaissance. If you just want a quick bite there is a Quiznos in the Hampton Inn across the street (Royal Street). There is also a small restaurant in the Battle House Hotel (Royal St - North about 1-2 Blocks on the right) they serve pizza and a few quick items.

There is a Subway on Dauphin St. - Walk North on Royal left on Dauphin - less than a block and several other bar/grill type places (HopJacks - Pizza; Heroes - burgers, etc.) further down on Dauphin that you can try if all are adults- I wouldn't go there at night with children as they are more bars at night but we eat at most all of them for lunch during the day.

If you like seafood there are several excellent Seafood Restaurants on the Causeway - you would need to go through the tunnel at Government St or on I-10. If you take Government East, when you exit the other side of the tunnel get into one of the further lefthand lanes as the far right one goes up to the interstate. If you take the Interstate East take the exit for the Battleship (first one). My favorite is on the right about 2 miles down - Ed's Seafood Shed( building on piers) here is their website. http://www.edsshed.com/

Thanks for the info on this post, we are going on the Holiday in 3 weeks and I just booked this morning so I have lots of travel prep to do in a short time :) I usually book about a year in advance. I was able to find the info for the park and stay at the Hampton but not at the Renaissance. Someone mentioned that it is close to the port, within walking distance? both hotels? We will only have one suitcase and 2 carry on's so that might be an option for us. Thanks again for any help.

Thanks for the info on this post, we are going on the Holiday in 3 weeks and I just booked this morning so I have lots of travel prep to do in a short time :) I usually book about a year in advance. I was able to find the info for the park and stay at the Hampton but not at the Renaissance. Someone mentioned that it is close to the port, within walking distance? both hotels? We will only have one suitcase and 2 carry on's so that might be an option for us. Thanks again for any help.

You will probably have to call the Renaissance and ask for their deal - it is normally $119 per night. 251-438-4000 is the direct dial number.

It would not be an easy walk with luggage. Interstate 10 is between the hotel and the cruise terminal so you would have to walk around and under the overpass. I personally wouldn't attempt it.

Archived