What currancy do I need?

Cheerysmom

Hi - I am doing my first Uniworld river cruise - Basel to Amsterdam - Castles on the Rhine. Will I need to bring some Swiss fancs to use in Basel if I walk around? or will they take Euro or dollars. Also in the ports of Germany and Holland - Euro? Is it better to bring Euro from home or get them while abroad?

Thanks in advance.

There are many opinions on getting currency. You will need Euros for Amsterdam and Germany, and Swiss Francs for Basel.

I always order the currency from my bank. I get a good exchange rate, and there is a charge of about $6 for messengering it to the branch.

I have always felt that it is a good idea to have some of the country's currency when you first arrive.

On our first European trip many years ago, we arrived at midnight, 12 hours late! The only exchange office had a huge line of the people from our flight.

We just passed them and headed to a taxi, because we had got our currency beforehand.

If you need more, you can use a bank ATM. If you have any left over, you can put it in the tip envelope.

I'm a believer in getting local currency when I arrive in Europe.

An ATM withdrawal there gets converted at the interbank rate and a foreign transaction fee that, depending on your bank, is 3% or less. Recently I looked locally and the banks here were getting between 7% and 10% premium plus a $15 delivery fee.

As far as Basel goes, in two days there we spent no cash. Transit pass was included with our overnight stay and there were plenty of merchants and restaurants that accepted our chip and pin credit card. The exchange was at the interbank rate plus the FTF that ranges from nothing up to 3%, bank dependent.

Basel is expensive . . . the dollar and franc are exchanging at about par.

The exchange rate is incredibly low right now and predictions are that it will go even lower for the Euro, and quite possibly the Swiss Franc (CHF). Right now, it's about 1:1 which is awesome!

We always order some cash ahead of time at: https://www.wellsfargo.com/foreign-exchange/

We usually order enough so we don't have to pay the shipping fee. I've never waited longer than 48 hrs. to get the order at my home. The only negative is that they sometimes give you huge denominations. Once we're in Europe, if we need additional cash, we use an ATM.

Just remember that you won't be able to get 300Euros out if you have a $300 daily maximum on your account. You'll get less than the $300 because of their exchange rate and fees. This isn't too big of a problem for mainland Europe but for the UK, it can really eat into how much money you walk away with and who wants to go to an ATM every day while on vacation? Just something to keep in mind.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
sp!

Just remember that you won't be able to get 300Euros out if you have a $300 daily maximum on your account. You'll get less than the $300 because of their exchange rate and fees. This isn't too big of a problem for mainland Europe but for the UK, it can really eat into how much money you walk away with and who wants to go to an ATM every day while on vacation? Just something to keep in mind.

Not sure I follow this?

It doesn't matter if it is the UK with GBP or say France with Euro, you are still going to get $300 worth of currency if that is your limit.

So right now you'll be getting around 270 Euro or 195 GBP but they are not worth the same either so you are not 'worse off' in the UK than in France.

I always save Euros from previous trips so that I arrive with some local money. Coins for toilets are good to have available! Then I hit an airport ATM for cash to see me through the next few days.

The comment about limits is true, but on most river cruises you aren't going to need much cash unless you're going to be doing SERIOUS shopping. All meals are included and ship charges (mostly bar tab and tips) are all done via credit card.

FuelScience

Hi - I am doing my first Uniworld river cruise - Basel to Amsterdam - Castles on the Rhine. Will I need to bring some Swiss fancs to use in Basel if I walk around? or will they take Euro or dollars. Also in the ports of Germany and Holland - Euro? Is it better to bring Euro from home or get them while abroad?

Thanks in advance.

You do not need to take any currency as there ATM machines everywhere you will be. The Swiss Franc as well as the Euro are very cheap and getting cheaper so don't bother to pay a heavy fee up front to buy these in the USA.

I always save Euros from previous trips so that I arrive with some local money. Coins for toilets are good to have available! Then I hit an airport ATM for cash to see me through the next few days.

You do not need to take any currency as there ATM machines everywhere you will be. The Swiss Franc as well as the Euro are very cheap and getting cheaper so don't bother to pay a heavy fee up front to buy these in the USA.

I'm with these guys! I'm going this fall and have about 100 euros to play wit from a previous trip.

P.S. no, they won't take USD in Europe.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

The comment about limits is true, but on most river cruises you aren't going to need much cash unless you're going to be doing SERIOUS shopping. All meals are included and ship charges (mostly bar tab and tips) are all done via credit card.

FuelScience

Exactly! You don't need heaps of cash in Europe, plastic is good.

The exchange rate is incredibly low right now and predictions are that it will go even lower for the Euro, and quite possibly the Swiss Franc (CHF). Right now, it's about 1:1 which is awesome!

We always order some cash ahead of time at: https://www.wellsfargo.com/foreign-exchange/

We usually order enough so we don't have to pay the shipping fee. I've never waited longer than 48 hrs. to get the order at my home. The only negative is that they sometimes give you huge denominations. Once we're in Europe, if we need additional cash, we use an ATM.

I see a few negatives to your method.

- The exchange rate is from Wells Fargo is $1.12 = 1€, the interbank rate is $1.06 . . .

- When I try to order several hundred € on Wells Fargo site, they add a $15 fee. How do you get the with no fee.

- Big bills can be a hassle. Using a 50€ note at a small establishment isn't always easy.