sun or golden princess

HCI

I have been looking a south pacific cruise in April either on the Sun or the Golden Princess

As I have never been on either was wondering which is the better of the two in regards to things to do the state of the ship and any thing else that you wish to comment on

Many Thanks:)

I have been looking a south pacific cruise in April either on the Sun or the Golden Princess

As I have never been on either was wondering which is the better of the two in regards to things to do the state of the ship and any thing else that you wish to comment on

Depends what you like doing

Island will be less crowded on Sun

Superio top decks with many more pools and sanctuary on golden

Promemade is much wider on Sun but goes right to the nose on Golden

Many more and better locations of speciality resturants on golden. This is an after thiught for sun class

I would pick Golden for the choice and little extra passengers for the extra size. My last two cruises have been sun class so craving another class.

Some research on the Princess board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

would be very beneficial. Also look at the reviews, here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/

Have been on Dawn Princess, Sun's sister. It is an older ship, but nicely laid out and very comfortable.

Sun is about 6 years older than Golden.

Sun is a smaller ship.

Cabins are larger and better lay out on Golden, more choice in balconies on Golden and they are not built into the hull.

Golden has an enclosed pool/solarium.

Golden has Lotus pool/spas at the front of the ship, Sun only has a splash pool for Sanctuary guests only at the front.

Golden has Skywalkers venue.

Sun has forward buffet, Golden has a rear buffet with seating area outside.

Sun has Curtis Stone specialty restaurant, in an open area that used to be the Pizza restaurant, and the Steakhouse in a sectioned off area of the buffet.

Golden has two dedicated specialty restaurants in their own area, Sabatini's Italian and the Crown Grill.

The Sun has the new bedding and on demand TV.

These are just facts and it all comes down to what you prefer.

I have just changed a Sun cruise for Golden, similar itinerary Sun was over $1000 more p/p.

Edited by cheznandy

I have been on both. Go on Golden Princess without a doubt. Avoid Sun Princess at all costs.

Despite the increased passengers on Golden Princess, the Sun Princess is the most crowded due to its excessive amount of passengers for such a small ship. There is really only 600 in the amount of people but the Sun Princess is extremely crowded because it is such a small ship with limited facilities. The pools are not heated on the Sun Princess and all the public rooms are much smaller.

In comparison the Golden Princess has much larger and open public rooms with more facilities available, it has heated pools and just much more space to relax and enjoy the ship.

I have been on both. Go on Golden Princess without a doubt. Avoid Sun Princess at all costs.

Despite the increased passengers on Golden Princess, the Sun Princess is the most crowded due to its excessive amount of passengers for such a small ship. There is really only 600 in the amount of people but the Sun Princess is extremely crowded because it is such a small ship with limited facilities. The pools are not heated on the Sun Princess and all the public rooms are much smaller.

In comparison the Golden Princess has much larger and open public rooms with more facilities available, it has heated pools and just much more space to relax and enjoy the ship.

Agree, Sapphire and Diamond are more similar than not to the Golden and never felt crowded in the public areas.

Emerald, crowded public area, lounges, buffet etc due to that extra deck of cabins (Riviera)

Have cruised a few times on Dawn Princess, and also agree that public areas, mostly the Atrium area is crowded at peak times.

Edited by cheznandy

I have also been on both and I like both ships. I actually found that Golden felt more crowded than Sun due to the smaller Atrium area and lack of an alternative route from the theatre. On Sun you can cut through the Wheelhouse Bar, on Golden there is only the one way past the entrances to the bars and Sabatinis and part of that is obstructed by the photo gallery.

Golden has roughly 600 more passengers than Sun and that does make a difference at some of the smaller islands that are tender ports.

However Golden has more, and nicer, outdoor areas, and better speciality restaurants.

Personally I prefer the cabins on Sun, but the balconies aren't as nice - they are more sheltered though.

Also look at the itineraries. Golden goes to Fiji with a couple of stops before that, Sun goes to some lovely islands in New Caledonia and Vanuatu with better snorkelling if you like that.

I would choose Sun for a South Pacific cruise in general, unless you particularly want to go to Fiji.

HCI, which category of cabin will you be booking ?

IMO some cabin categories are nicer on the Golden and some others are nicer on the Sun.

Golden has Skywalkers which is a plus, but this is less important in the warm Island weather than around colder Southern NZ for example.

If you are Platinum it is a popular place for sailaways however. (If sailaway is at the same time as the PES drinks / nibbles )

Meanwhile, the promenade deck on the Sun is wide enough to have full length padded deck loungers, whereas the Golden only has wooden benches I think.

Edited by Tranquility Base

Have been on both class of ship and enjoyed both. All of above information to consider. Also Golden has anytime dinning whereas Sun has traditional. I would consider itinerary, price and dinning preference. Have fun which ever you choose.

Have been on both class of ship and enjoyed both. All of above information to consider. Also Golden has anytime dinning whereas Sun has traditional. I would consider itinerary, price and dinning preference. Have fun which ever you choose.

Sun will have Anytime dining from some time in April onwards.

I have been on both ships as well and agree with the above posters. My immediate answer to your original post was the Golden Princess.

There are some posts here that do not make sense. Golden Princess is 4m wider than the Sun Princess so it is impossible for Sun Princess to have a wider promenade deck and larger atrium. It just does not add up.

The Golden Princess does have a reclining set of deck chairs to lay down that are located on the promenade deck. From recollection they are wooden with blue mattresses. The Golden Princess is 36m wide and definitely cannot fit through the Panama Canal. The Sun Princess is 32m wide and can fit through the Panama Canal. I believe the Golden Princess can extend to over 40m wide with its upper deck overhang.

Now I have photos to prove this the Sun Princess has a much narrower promenade deck than Golden Princess. The Sun Princess has upright wooden benches on its promenade deck and many of them. Towards the rear of the Sun Princess the promenade gets wider due to the fact that the forward part of the promenade deck has bay style windows that extend over the deck.

With regards to the atrium the Sun class has a much narrower atrium but it extends over 4 deck levels to include an indoor pizza place where as the Golden Princess has a much wider atrium that extends over 3 decks.

There are some posts here that do not make sense. Golden Princess is 4m wider than the Sun Princess so it is impossible for Sun Princess to have a wider promenade deck and larger atrium. It just does not add up.

The Golden Princess does have a reclining set of deck chairs to lay down that are located on the promenade deck. From recollection they are wooden with blue mattresses. The Golden Princess is 36m wide and definitely cannot fit through the Panama Canal. The Sun Princess is 32m wide and can fit through the Panama Canal. I believe the Golden Princess can extend to over 40m wide with its upper deck overhang.

Now I have photos to prove this the Sun Princess has a much narrower promenade deck than Golden Princess. The Sun Princess has upright wooden benches on its promenade deck and many of them. Towards the rear of the Sun Princess the promenade gets wider due to the fact that the forward part of the promenade deck has bay style windows that extend over the deck.

With regards to the atrium the Sun class has a much narrower atrium but it extends over 4 deck levels to include an indoor pizza place where as the Golden Princess has a much wider atrium that extends over 3 decks.

I am sorry, but your description of the promenade deck on the Sun Princess isn't correct. The deck is quite wide and just narrows for the last 7 or 8 metres near the bow of the ship where the Princess Theatre widens out. This is before the narrow passageway that goes around to the deck on the other side (all on one level). The promenade deck is also narrower beside the Vista Lounge at the aft of the ship. There are a few sections where there are bay windows that extend probably two-thirds of a meter into the deck space. I have only seen lay-down sun lounges on the Sun Princess plus some timber seats that have storage for life vests. I did see sit-up deck chairs on the Emerald Princess, but have never seen them on the Sun, Sea or Dawn P.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I am sorry, but your description of the promenade deck on the Sun Princess isn't correct. The deck is quite wide and just narrows for the last 7 or 8 metres near the bow of the ship where the Princess Theatre widens out. This is before the narrow passageway that goes around to the deck on the other side (all on one level). The promenade deck is also narrower beside the Vista Lounge at the aft of the ship. There are a few sections where there are bay windows that extend probably two-thirds of a meter into the deck space. I have only seen lay-down sun lounges on the Sun Princess plus some timber seats that have storage for life vests. I did see sit-up deck chairs on the Emerald Princess, but have never seen them on the Sun, Sea or Dawn P.

Mine is totally correct and if I have to I will post the photos to prove it. It is the Sun Princess that has the narrow promenade deck.

Simple! Golden Princess has more shops around its atrium which take up the extra space. All three of its atrium decks have shops, and the shops on deck 7 where the Promenade Bar is really detract from that space.

Sun Princess only has shops on deck 6. Deck 5 has the IC and Guest Services, and the whole atrium surrounds on deck 7 is part of Crooners. The promenade is definitely wider on the Sun class ships, apart from a small section aft.

BTW I define the available atrium space as that which is public sitting areas and thoroughfares, not shops.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Simple! Golden Princess has more shops around its atrium which take up the extra space. All three of its atrium decks have shops, and the shops on deck 7 where the Promenade Bar is really detract from that space.

OzkiwiJJ, don't worry about logic!

I'd like to see those pics that he's adamant about everyone else being incorrect about. :p

OzkiwiJJ, don't worry about logic!

Don't tell an ex-software developer not to worry about logic. :p It's well and truly entrenched in my psyche. :D

I'd like to see those pics that he's adamant about everyone else being incorrect about. :p

So would I, especially as I'm sure I've seen him post that he would never go on a Sun class ship as they are too old. :eek::rolleyes::p

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Having just come off the Emerald, husband and I both agreed that the promenade deck was much wider on the Dawn/Sun/Sea.

They only had wooden chairs that laid back slightly on the Emerald, and we realised while sitting there that longer recliners would not allow people to walk past withour bumping in to them......Babsjo, we loved the longer wooden recliners on the Dawn Princess last April.

A quick google will show both promenade decks on you tube. And having been on Dawn and Golden in November , the Sun Class definitely have the wider promenade decks. But I did enjoy The Golden, and will always have a soft spot for the Sun Class girls.

But as some-one else posted with all things being equal (costs and ports ) I'd choose Golden.

Sent from my iPad using Forums