Costa Maya versus Belize

koolforkatz

I am about ready to book the 11 day ultimate Caribbean Nov/15 on the Equinox. There are two Nov dates - one includes a long weekend holiday which is nice because it means one less day to take off work. This sailing goes to Belize. The other sailing goes to Costa Maya instead. There is a spot in Costa Maya I love going to to absolutely relax. I have always wanted to go to Belize but I've heard it's not quite as nice as it used to be and can be unsafe depending where you go.

Any thoughts? The two itineraries are identical apart from that.

One big difference is that Costa Maya has a dock while Belize City is a tender port, and a nearly 20 minute tender if I recall correctly.

Loved my day at Caye Caulker, but would probably go back to Costa Maya if I had the chance.

Not a fan of Belize.

Besides being a tender port I am a little leery when the port area is fenced in like a coound and they warn you not to leve the area.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Love your question as I'm also looking to book this trip for the same month/year and had the Nov 9th selected with Belize but now thinking the later one with Costa Mayan would be better. Tendering is never a favorite, hate the line ups to get on and off at each end.

I have until my (first) Celebrity cruise this November to decide as the plan is to book on board to get both the OBC and drink package. Hopefully the price doesn't spike before then. But then again, anything could change before then ... my mind included :D

One big difference is that Costa Maya has a dock while Belize City is a tender port, and a nearly 20 minute tender if I recall correctly.

Loved my day at Caye Caulker, but would probably go back to Costa Maya if I had the chance.

Me too! :) I love Caye Caulker and the little busier Ambergris Caye.

Costa Maya hands down!! We took a tour to the ruins in Belize and the 30 mile trip took 1.25 hours. The roads are absolutely horrible! Not the cleanest of places either!

Edited by jd1966

I'm surprised. I too would take Costa Maya in a heartbeat. In fact it's one of my favorite ports. And here I was thinking most others would prefer Belize. I wish Celebrity and RCI would offer more cruises to include C.M. Every time I select a week that works for me, it's not a Costa Maya cruise.

We just returned yesterday from a cruise which included both Costa Maya and Belize. Tendering in Belize was a 20-25 minute ride in very rough seas! We had not planned an excursion here this cruise, but have visited a couple of times. Once we did the Mayan ruins, interesting, but a very long day on a bus, then primitive boat, then walking through mosquito infested area to the ruins and back. The next time there, we booked a private excursion with cc group to Bannister Island.(no longer available) Last week we just tendered over and walked around the "compound". There is shopping(fake name brand purses), a few jewelry stores and restaurant/bars, and a chocolate factory.(excellent chocolate martini) Costa Maya, we've also done the Mayan ruins tour through a private excursion, but all other stops to Costa Maya, including last week, we enjoyed chilling out on the beach. The water was crystal clear, and we saw a stingray. Costa Maya has drastically changed from our first visit, but we still enjoy Mahajual beach bars. $3 pp bus ride to the beaches, $2 pp taxi ride back to ship. My choice would definitely be Costa Maya. We've heard many incidences of robbery and other problems in Belize, but nothing in Costa Maya.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am surprised because I thought Belize might be the favourite. Costa Maya has a place jn my heart, though, it is so relaxing and not commercialized (yet). Not enough cruises go to there but maybe that is a good thing.

Costa Maya it is!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went there this spring...loved it!! We went on an excursion (not through the ship) we went to a small island it took about 20 minutes to get there. It was beside the barrier reef. There was a cook tent and a small bathroom(which i didnt use) The island was the size of a football field. I laid on the beach surrounded by blue water while the boat took some people to the reef to snorkel Wonderful very inexpensive day The crew on the boat were very professional and friendly. Cant wait to return ther it was just awesome!

We really enjoyed a cave tubing excursion in Belize once. Booked privately. On another stop we took the little ferry to Caye Caulker, then rented bikes to tour the island. We had a lovely day.

If we go back (when we go back;)) I will try to find a snorkeling excursion.

We did a ship tour to Lamanai....bus then a long riverboat ride to the ruins with lunch included. Long day so we opted for the ship tour so we wouldn't miss the ship...and as it turned out there were three buses and two were late (the ship waited). Worth the trip.

We went there this spring...loved it!! We went on an excursion (not through the ship) we went to a small island it took about 20 minutes to get there. It was beside the barrier reef. There was a cook tent and a small bathroom(which i didnt use) The island was the size of a football field. I laid on the beach surrounded by blue water while the boat took some people to the reef to snorkel Wonderful very inexpensive day The crew on the boat were very professional and friendly. Cant wait to return ther it was just awesome!

did you book this in advance or did you just find this tour at pier? what is name of co./boat/island you went to, pls? sounds great!!

thanks.

Me too! :) I love Caye Caulker and the little busier Ambergris Caye.

As theampres asked.... We need more detail for these private tours. ;)

We went to Belize years ago with carnival and took the ships tour - right off the ship - to Bannister Island Loved the island and sad that it sold to an individual. I saw that on HGTV. I read that they were going to open to the public, but not sure how that turned out. Heard it was not as nice as once was.:(

We will be in Belize again next February and would like to snorkel.

Edited by Iamthesea

WALLIE, I'm another vote for Cave Tubing in Belize. The zip lining is so so compared to other zips, but the cave tubing is good and I'll be doing it again an a couple of months. We used Vitalino Reyes group at cavetubing.bz

$50 for transportation to/from, a narrated walk through the jungle, the tubing, lunch.