Adjoining/connecting rooms on Zuiderdam Main Deck

jlp879

I am looking to book two large interior cabins on the Zuiderdam Main Deck for a Caribbean Holiday cruise out of FLL on Dec. 27, specifically rooms 1067 and 1073. What I'm looking to figure out is that since these rooms connect on the interior, what amenities am I giving up to have them connect? Will I lose a closet or the possibility of a bed placement for it? Table or couch space? Also, who has put their pre-teen child in one of the fold out sofa beds? It looks okay, but is it comfortable? I'm also looking for photos of the these room layouts. Room 1059 and 1063 also have the same connecting doors.

Many thanks, JLP

I've stayed in these connecting cabins many times, and know that you lose nothing over the non-connecting ones. IMO, you gain.

The bed is turned 90 degrees (sorry, don't know how to create the symbol) so that the headboard is against the wall opposite the entrance door, and not in the alcove. This creates a much wider aisle between the bed and the closets.

The sofa curves, and the third bed opens from the straight portion. It's a full twin bed. I've never known of anyone who has used the bed, so don't know about the comfort. Sorry.

I do know that when opened, it makes the entrance to the bathroom tight, but doable.

This is the website picture and diagram of the Main Deck connecting cabins. You can see the connecting door on the diagram:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Oosterdam#interior

This is my picture of K1116 on Westerdam, which is a non-connecting cabin:

BG-33.jpg

BG-25.jpg

BG-18.jpg

This is the same cabin on Nieuw Amsterdam:

BG-69.jpg

BG-68.jpg

BG-67.jpg

I disagree with RuthC about the space by the closet...EM

I disagree with RuthC about the space by the closet...EM

You do? :confused:

In a connecting cabin that bed is turned, so the side of the bed is across from the closets. In your pictures it's the foot of the bed across from the closets. That's a great deal of room as an aisle when the bed is turned for the connecting room.

There's enough room for the closet door to open, plus the width of the nightstand, plus a little wiggle room. When the room is not connecting, and the bed is tucked in that alcove as in your picture, all you have is the width of the nightstand as an aisle.

In the connecting room, that area shown at the head of the bed becomes the side of the bed, and is a flat wall (no lighting or curtains), with the connecting door on the right---next to the bathroom wall. The connecting door opens into the area of the bed aisle and the foot of the bed, alongside the bathroom wall.

You mentioned the aisle between the bed and the closets...I felt you lose space because you have to have an aisle along the wall that has the door, and then the nightstand on the wall by the closets. With the heads of the beds flat against the wall, you have lots of space between the foot of the bed and the closets. But I have to admit that I have purposely NOT stayed in a room with connecting door. Had enough of that in my OV cabin. EM

With the heads of the beds flat against the wall, you have lots of space between the foot of the bed and the closets. But I have to admit that I have purposely NOT stayed in a room with connecting door.

When the rooms connect, the bed is turned 1/4 turn. Where the foot is in your room, there one side is in a connecting room.

Much, much roomier when getting out of bed---at least on that one side.

Archived