Comparing Azamara to Celebrity and Oceania

bob278

We have had 3 wonderful O cruises with 32 days on 2 more for 2016. Riviera is my favorite ship and I just love dining al fresco at the Terrace Cafe in the evening with the grilled lobster, shrimp, filet and grilled veggies. Helps me stay skinny and healthy. The O "R" ships are the same but smaller than the Riviera and immaculate and stunning too. I think you should try it!

Have you sailed Azamara? Or are you just raving about O because it's the only reference point you have? (I'm asking because I give more credit to the opinions of people who have cruised both and give a BALANCED comparison like the Op did.)

Have you sailed Azamara? Or are you just raving about O because it's the only reference point you have? (I'm asking because I give more credit to the opinions of people who have cruised both and give a BALANCED comparison like the Op did.)

Floris, I think you may be hearing about the "mould under the bed and the filthy carpets" on Azamara pretty soon! :D :D :D

Not mine, or anyone else's experience of course....and I have sailed all three cruise lines mentioned in the excellent review from the OP. Like them all and would cruise on all three again, but I much prefer Azamara.

Thank you for asking...Yes, I have cruised on AZ (twice). The 1st time it was very enjoyable and that is why we returned for a 2nd cruise. The 2nd cruise was the worst cruise we have ever taken and I was ready to never cruise again. So there is no misunderstanding, we enjoyed the itinerary, the food was decent and enjoyed the small ship experience. The issue was "the mold" as the other poster mentioned and my 1st post on cruise critic described it. You can find it if you care to take a peak. It is really too bad this happened, but we would not risk this again. Therefore, our cruise of choice currently is O. The reference points you mentioned have been well documented. Hope you will now feel I provided a balanced review based on our experience. Happy to oblige.

Thank you for asking...Yes, I have cruised on AZ (twice). The 1st time it was very enjoyable and that is why we returned for a 2nd cruise. The 2nd cruise was the worst cruise we have ever taken and I was ready to never cruise again. So there is no misunderstanding, we enjoyed the itinerary, the food was decent and enjoyed the small ship experience. The issue was "the mold" as the other poster mentioned and my 1st post on cruise critic described it. You can find it if you care to take a peak. It is really too bad this happened, but we would not risk this again. Therefore, our cruise of choice currently is O. The reference points you mentioned have been well documented. Hope you will now feel I provided a balanced review based on our experience. Happy to oblige.

By the end of your cruise the moldy carpet had been removed -- so why do you feel such a compulsion to beat that drum so frequently that people can predict when you will post about it?

By the end of your cruise the moldy carpet had been removed -- so why do you feel such a compulsion to beat that drum so frequently that people can predict when you will post about it?

If you took the time to read the thread, I responded to a person who was questioning about taking a cruise on O. Nothing was said about my cruise on AZ, but Floriskort asked me if I had ever cruised on AZ. I was polite and answered the question. Yes, the carpet was removed on day prior to disembarking and after involvement with my TA. It should have been taken care of immediately.

If you took the time to read the thread, I responded to a person who was questioning about taking a cruise on O. Nothing was said about my cruise on AZ, but Floriskort asked me if I had ever cruised on AZ. I was polite and answered the question. Yes, the carpet was removed on day prior to disembarking and after involvement with my TA. It should have been taken care of immediately.

A simple "yes" would have sufficed to answer Floris's question ("Have you sailed Azamara?"). The beating of the drum was unnecessary, though predictable--as Lottie did.

This treath began with a great review/comparison. Now are reviews always subjective and that shows also in reactions. But that the people whom react now are "attacked". Please do the reaction on your opinion about a point and not on this way. For others like me read what you think you need / want to read and take advantage it.

Sorry bob278, I didn't mean to cause controversy on your thread, it was just an attempt to lighten up with some humour when I knew what would be coming next.

It's sad that portofinoitaly won't give Azamara another chance to impress because all cruise lines can make mistakes. Especially as they enjoyed their first Azamara cruise and they are missing out on a wonderful cruise experience. The rest of us, in our hundreds on here, can't all be wrong. All cruise lines have pro's and con's which is why your balanced review was so useful bob378.

I know we had several issues on Marina, and they weren't sorted out at all, but it wouldn't stop me cruising with Oceania again. Recently on HAL we had a major issue with the cabin plumbing, but it was sorted out for us, and certainly we would cruise with HAL again. We also had a huge problem at Rome airport flying with BA recently. It still has not been sorted out to our satisfaction....but it won't stop us flying with BA through Rome again. We have also had cabin problems on Azamara in the past and had to be moved to another cabin. On one very memorable voyage my friend had three different cabins on a 10 night cruise! Problems happen everywhere in life all the time, nothing is perfect but as I said, it's sad that portofinoitaly can't give Azamara another chance to impress.....because I'm pretty sure that they could do it.

Oops - sorry I asked :) Clearly there is a lot of history in this A vs O debate! Ironically, after 50+ cruises on Celebrity and Azamara, I'm posting this 'live' from my first ever Seabourn cruise - which is turning out to be an absolutely wonderful experience. My point being - I would happily cruise on all these lines as long as it is the right itinerary for the right price.

Sorry bob278, I didn't mean to cause controversy on your thread, it was just an attempt to lighten up with some humour when I knew what would be coming next.

It's sad that portofinoitaly won't give Azamara another chance to impress because all cruise lines can make mistakes. Especially as they enjoyed their first Azamara cruise and they are missing out on a wonderful cruise experience. The rest of us, in our hundreds on here, can't all be wrong. All cruise lines have pro's and con's which is why your balanced review was so useful bob378.

I know we had several issues on Marina, and they weren't sorted out at all, but it wouldn't stop me cruising with Oceania again. Recently on HAL we had a major issue with the cabin plumbing, but it was sorted out for us, and certainly we would cruise with HAL again. We also had a huge problem at Rome airport flying with BA recently. It still has not been sorted out to our satisfaction....but it won't stop us flying with BA through Rome again. We have also had cabin problems on Azamara in the past and had to be moved to another cabin. On one very memorable voyage my friend had three different cabins on a 10 night cruise! Problems happen everywhere in life all the time, nothing is perfect but as I said, it's sad that portofinoitaly can't give Azamara another chance to impress.....because I'm pretty sure that they could do it.

Thank you for taking the time to apologize to Bob278 because he did take the time to write a wonderful review of all lines.

Let's call it a truce with AZ and put the matter behind. This year I did take another wonderful cruise on O and I will continue cruising. This thread interested me because we will be sailing on Celebrity this Oct. 2015 to OZ/NZ and Fiji on Solstice in SS and CS cabins. It is very much all inclusive with what they are offering and we are looking forward to trying Luminae with it's great reviews.

I hope the new dry dock and upgrades on AZ work well for all and if reviews are exceptional and an itinerary presents itself that would work for us, I will promise to give it another look. Phil's recent photo of a large suite looked very nice.

Fair enough?

Thank you for taking the time to apologize to Bob278 because he did take the time to write a wonderful review of all lines.

Let's call it a truce with AZ and put the matter behind. This year I did take another wonderful cruise on O and I will continue cruising. This thread interested me because we will be sailing on Celebrity this Oct. 2015 to OZ/NZ and Fiji on Solstice in SS and CS cabins. It is very much all inclusive with what they are offering and we are looking forward to trying Luminae with it's great reviews.

I hope the new dry dock and upgrades on AZ work well for all and if reviews are exceptional and an itinerary presents itself that would work for us, I will promise to give it another look. Phil's recent photo of a large suite looked very nice.

Fair enough?

Absolutely fair enough portofinoitaly. I am thinking of trying Oceania again too....and hoping the entertainment has improved and not everyone on the ship is in bed by 10:30 pm!

I hope you enjoy Celebrity ....I know we do. It's different to O and AZ, even in a suite, but still a great cruise experience. The only thing that I really dislike is the loud canned music in nearly all the bars and around the pool.Have you tried Silversea yet? Next to AZ its my second favourite, but possibly it may not be only for the cruise experience in my case. :D

Absolutely fair enough portofinoitaly. I am thinking of trying Oceania again too....and hoping the entertainment has improved and not everyone on the ship is in bed by 10:30 pm!

I hope you enjoy Celebrity ....I know we do. It's different to O and AZ, even in a suite, but still a great cruise experience. The only thing that I really dislike is the loud canned music in nearly all the bars and around the pool.Have you tried Silversea yet? Next to AZ its my second favourite, but possibly it may not be only for the cruise experience in my case. :D

I am not a fan of the loud music by the pools either but due to itinerary and timing this X cruise fit the bill. I must say however, I rise early in the a.m. and am in bed by 10:30. I am younger than most typically and very fit but late nights have never been for me. Those 2 glasses of wine are a must, though ;-)

I am not dedicated to one cruise line in particular, but O suits our tastes and has been delightful. Currently, checking out Crystal as an alternative and Silversea with it's new ship could be quite appealing. Happy sailing to you and may we meet on board some place some time. Cheers!

I am not a fan of the loud music by the pools either but due to itinerary and timing this X cruise fit the bill. I must say however, I rise early in the a.m. and am in bed by 10:30. I am younger than most typically and very fit but late nights have never been for me. Those 2 glasses of wine are a must, though ;-)

I am not dedicated to one cruise line in particular, but O suits our tastes and has been delightful. Currently, checking out Crystal as an alternative and Silversea with it's new ship could be quite appealing. Happy sailing to you and may we meet on board some place some time. Cheers!

Sailed on Crystal Serenity in 2014 ....great food, lovely suite, excellent speakers. Sadly I had to leave the cruise half way through due to illness, but Crystal handled everything really well for us. I also can't wait to sail on Silver Muse next year....but Azamara will always be my first love! :)

Would love to compare our cruise experiences over a good glass of red some time.