New Azamara App

Jade13

I received an email that Azamara now has a new App available at the Apple store. Has anyone used it (not sure if there was an earlier version)?

Can you find all itineraries and pricing, or is it more about selling destination immersion and you still have to call Azamara or your travel agent for pricing or to book a cruise?

Is there an Android version?

Hi Troywest,

There's not an Android version. However, Azamara has a site for this feature, for Desktop users. I do not believe this is complete, but, offers a sample of the Apple app. Here's the link : http://www.Azamara3di.com

Hope this helps !

Edited by Host Andy

I received an email that Azamara now has a new App available at the Apple store. Has anyone used it (not sure if there was an earlier version)?

Can you find all itineraries and pricing, or is it more about selling destination immersion and you still have to call Azamara or your travel agent for pricing or to book a cruise?

Hi Jade,

Unfortunately, it only seems to be available as an Apple App. As I'm an Android user, I cannot use or review the App. As mentioned in my last post, the Desktop Azamara 3di site is pretty interesting though.

Wish I could be of more help. Bonnie : Will this be available as an Android App in the near future ?

I have tried it on my iPhone. At first I thought it wouldn't launch at all, but today it did launch. I can't say there's much of a 3D effect (if that's what the name implies), but if you move the phone up/down or left/right you scroll around the scene while it keeps playing -- pretty cool.

Andy, the tech answer is the one I always give friends who ask me for help: Get a Mac! [or in this case, an iPhone]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I have tried it on my iPhone. At first I thought it wouldn't launch at all, but today it did launch. I can't say there's much of a 3D effect (if that's what the name implies), but if you move the phone up/down or left/right you scroll around the scene while it keeps playing -- pretty cool.

Andy, the tech answer is the one I always give friends who ask me for help: Get a Mac! [or in this case, an iPhone]

the MAC my next at home gift to me.

Hi Jazz,

Wish I could - My Sister is a huge iPhone/Mac/Apple everything person, and tells me every day, that I'm missing out. However, the progams I must use for work, will not work on Apple devices, so I'm stuck at this point. At any rate, I'm very pleased with Android.

I have downloaded it, it's ok, very much a marketing tool.

I would say, as it seems to be all about video content rather than static info, it does give a useful insight into some cruise content - so far, it's one cruise three ports that's covered.

I do like the 3di being able to move the iPad to look at what I want in a shot

As always, a but, the music on this trip drove me mad!

But if they can get the right content and assemble segments for each cruise it will be good, especially when we all want to see what the refurb looks like in action

Edited by uktog

The email announcing it said you could download the app on "your favourite device". No mention that there was no Android support.

Why does these marketing people assume that everyone loves Apple and that no one uses Android devices.

The email announcing it said you could download the app on "your favourite device". No mention that there was no Android support.

Why does these marketing people assume that everyone loves Apple and that no one uses Android devices.

I had an AT&T exec say to me once (and I found truly humorous) when referencing his iphone that he was a fan of android and missed his (forced to use IOS for work) mainly because of the ability to individualize the platform for each and every user and he viewed IOS users as sheep and they all fell in line to follow one another.

As businessmen they hoped every consumer would use IOS products.:eek:

I had an AT&T exec say to me once (and I found truly humorous) when referencing his iphone that he was a fan of android and missed his (forced to use IOS for work) mainly because of the ability to individualize the platform for each and every user and he viewed IOS users as sheep and they all fell in line to follow one another.

As businessmen they hoped every consumer would use IOS products.:eek:

Well, that comment certainly reveals openly my inability to think independently.

Of course I have been able to use the new app, but I wouldn't think it's crucial for an informed consumer since it is just a rather superficial overview of certain destinations. Interesting but lacking context.

Of course, given the above, I'd be no judge of that :).

I think your AT&T exec has his head stuck where the sun don't shine. There was an article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday about Android vs iOS. Android developers have to maintain compatibility with 4,000 different customized versions of the OS, and only 18% of the devices are running the current Android system. All iPhones run the same version of each iOS release, and 86% are running the latest version. As a result developers love Apple -- as a result there is a much larger range of iPhone apps -- as a result iPhone users buy more apps. Net result: Apple paid over $10 billion in developer royalties last year, while Android only paid $7 billion (with a much larger base of Android phones). My takeaway is that Apple users are the ones customizing their phones -- by adding the apps of their choice -- while Android users are the sheep who use the software decided by their provider.

Hi Jazz,

Wish I could - My Sister is a huge iPhone/Mac/Apple everything person, and tells me every day, that I'm missing out. However, the progams I must use for work, will not work on Apple devices, so I'm stuck at this point. At any rate, I'm very pleased with Android.

You can have both! I use a PC (HP) for work, but MAC, IPAD, IPHONE at home. You are missing out :)

(Also, I have no problem using Microsoft Office Word & Excel back & forth with both machines)

Edited by Jade13

You can have both! I use a PC (HP) for work, but MAC, IPAD, IPHONE at home. You are missing out :)

(Also, I have no problem using Microsoft Office Word & Excel back & forth with both machines)

Android is perfectly fine, and you have a choice of technology manufacturers. With proprietary software, you're stuck with overpriced, overhyped Apple "cult" stuff that is no better than Samsung or other companies that use the Android operating system. Android users are "missing out" on nothing.

I agree. There's something about the entire RCCL family, that assumes everyone is connected via an Apple device. Celebrity pretty much runs the same way as well.

It's too bad that they seem unwilling to offer apps for both Apple and Android devices, as they are missing out on a large Android audience.... but, I will get over it :)

Unfortunately the Azamara 3DI platform is built on iOS and until some funding shakes loose our plans to create an Android version are on hold :(

Here are some handy bullets regarding the Azamara 3DI iOS App. If you are an Apple user, we encourage you to download on iPhone, iPod or iPad.

About Azamara 3DI iOS App

• All you need is an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and you can experience Destination Immersion anywhere

• Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5 or later
  • A strong WI-fi connection is recommended for faster video download times
  • Azamara released the 3DI iOS app the first week of August 2015, and is the brand’s first app. Currently, you can watch several interactive videos including:

1. overview of our National Parks of Panama Voyage

2. a ziplining tour through the Costa Rican Rainforest

3. a Horse and Carriage ride through Cartagena, Colombia

4. the Azamara Journey crossing the Panama Canal

• By selecting the hand icon in the menu at the bottom of the screen you can manipulate the video up, down and 360-degrees around by dragging your finger around the screen.
  • By selecting the VR option at the bottom of the screen you can place your iPhone in a Google Cardboard headset and enjoy the virtual reality experience.
  • Select the 'X' to return to the main menu and watch another video.
  • We have more videos on the way, including

1. an Onboard Experience

2. tours of Panama, Costa Rica

3. tours of Cartagena, Colombia

4. a second time-lapse video of the Panama Canal crossing

Unfortunately the Azamara 3DI platform is built on iOS and until some funding shakes loose our plans to create an Android version are on hold :(

Here are some handy bullets regarding the Azamara 3DI iOS App. If you are an Apple user, we encourage you to download on iPhone, iPod or iPad.

• All you need is an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and you can experience Destination Immersion anywhere

• Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5 or later
  • Azamara released the 3DI iOS app the first week of August 2015, and is the brand’s first app. Currently, you can watch several interactive videos including:

• By selecting the hand icon in the menu at the bottom of the screen you can manipulate the video up, down and 360-degrees around by dragging your finger around the screen.
  • By selecting the VR option at the bottom of the screen you can place your iPhone in a Google Cardboard headset and enjoy the virtual reality experience.

1. an Onboard Experience

I assume Azamara will download new videos later?

1. an Onboard Experience

So excited to try this! Read about it in a Port Hole magazine email, and wasnt able to download onto my iPad because of ..ahem...my poor internet connection at my summer home. But I'm at my winter home with better internet, and am so excited to try this! It's EXACTLY the itinerary we are doing in Feb, so those videos will be me in a few months :D

Edited by Familygoboston

Ok, that's pretty cool! Question for Bomnie or any of you who have sailed - the area where the folks are watching the PC transit- is that a public area, or is that the VX cabins in the front and a private area. Gosh, that looks so cool, I can hardly wait! Booked my airfare last night, and ready to go (as soon as it cools down up north here! )

Ok, that's pretty cool! Question for Bomnie or any of you who have sailed - the area where the folks are watching the PC transit- is that a public area, or is that the VX cabins in the front and a private area. Gosh, that looks so cool, I can hardly wait! Booked my airfare last night, and ready to go (as soon as it cools down up north here! )

Hi Familygoboston,

Which voyage are you booked on (date?) and which video are you referring to?

P.s. I was reading your blog earlier today. I learned so much reading about Cuba. Thank you :)

Hi Familygoboston,

Which voyage are you booked on (date?) and which video are you referring to?

P.s. I was reading your blog earlier today. I learned so much reading about Cuba. Thank you :)

Thank you! It was an incredible trip! I imagine it will not be long before more cruise ships have the opportunity to call there, and found the Cuban people very open to meeting people from the USA! The blog and Jeffs photography is a labor of love, and we would love to share some of it after our Azamara cruise with Azamara if you like!

We are going Feb 7 Panama Canal from Miami to Caldera. I was looking at the Panama Canal transit video on the app and wondering if those people on deck are in special cabins (VX?) in a private space or if that is a public space? It looks like an amazing place to view the transit, but I'm sure there are many!