Azamara Quest Great Barrier Reef to Sydney

sandbag7

It's been quite a while since we've been on a cruise; I noticed the above trip scheduled for January 2016, has anyone done this 10 day route? Is their sufficient time to enjoy/snorkle at the Reef? Is the trip well thought out?

Looks like we'll need a flight from the US to Cairn and a return from Sydney; is there a good place to look for that, or should we do a R/T to/from Sydney and book a one way from there to Cairn?

Thanks.

Edited by sandbag7
Unneccessary question.

Good morning Sandbag7,

A good place to start researching air for this trip is our ChoiceAir page. You'll find it on our site under the Plan Your Voyage tab. Here's a link as well: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/int/plan/air-transfers/choiceair

There is a live conversation about ChoiceAir on this forum you will find interesting, but disregard the title created by the original poster (OP). Scroll through the various comments and you'll see people love ChoiceAir.

Thanks for the link; proposed airfare on Choice Air was more than 3k per person (with two stops) which is pretty much a no go; I found non-Choice flights around $2,600 which is still pretty shocking; I then found a R/T Sydney/Chicago for $1,999 (Vayana or something) which goes through Hong Kong, and I would have to add a one way to Cairns to that. I'm gonna look at some alternative bookings from other cities to see if there is any way to get to Sydney more reasonably.

We would suggest that you fly into Cairns and stay in the Cairns to Port Douglas area pre cruise for a few days, so that you can enjoy the whole area including the Barrier Reef and the Daintree Forest, and then fly out of Sydney after spending a few days in Sydney

We are actually booked on the 17 Night Great Barrier Reef - Bali Voyage departing Sydney on Sunday 13th February 2016, ending in Bali on Tuesday 1st March, 2016. We considered this to be a more widespread cruise proving ample opportunity to enjoy the eastern and northern coast of Australia, including sufficient time to visit the Barrier Reef (from either Hamilton Island, Cairns, Port Douglas or Cooktown) and also the Daintree Forest (from Cairns or Port Douglas)

We would suggest that you fly into Sydney and depart from Bali allowing a few days both before and after the cruise

• 4 months later...
Thanks for the link; proposed airfare on Choice Air was more than 3k per person (with two stops) which is pretty much a no go; I found non-Choice flights around $2,600 which is still pretty shocking; I then found a R/T Sydney/Chicago for $1,999 (Vayana or something) which goes through Hong Kong, and I would have to add a one way to Cairns to that. I'm gonna look at some alternative bookings from other cities to see if there is any way to get to Sydney more reasonably.

Try looking at Qantas as you may get a good deal Sydney/Cairns return and also flights from the USA Lax/Sydney return are direct flights