Corkage Policy Makes No Sense to Me

Bfson

I don't understand the corkage policy. Wine is included in the fare. If I bring my own wine, i save Azamara $ by not drinking their wine. For the act of saving them money they want to charge me $10 a bottle. Huh?

I don't understand the corkage policy. Wine is included in the fare. If I bring my own wine, i save Azamara $ by not drinking their wine. For the act of saving them money they want to charge me $10 a bottle. Huh?

Nice try!

Just because you bring wine on board a ship that includes a selection of wines as an included amenity doesn't mean you won't drink their wine too and/or drink yours at times when bars may be closed. So, your corkage fee is to pay for the possible extra glassware, cleanup, bottle disposal, waitstaff attention etc. and even lost revenue since you probably won't be buying any select or reserve wines from the cruise line (which are not included on the free list).

Of course, you may only have the intention to drink YOUR wine and do it only at meals. But, the cruise staff are not going to follow you around to make sure. So they charge you a corkage fee.

On a related note: it only makes sense to bring wine with you if it's really good (and significantly more expensive than the corkage fee) and not available on their "extra cost" reserve/library/etc. wine list at a price that exceeds your bottle's purchase price plus the corkage.

One last thing: if your flying, remember that those wine bottles in your checked baggage may put you over the weight allowance and incur an additional charge. Sure you may think you can buy that great bottle at a port. But, you may get price gouged there (if they carry it at all).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

We get a wine glass or four from a bar or room attendent to keep in our room, pour our wine and stroll to dinner with it. This is usually for our preferred pre-dinner/appetizer drink...I guess if you wanted a fine bottle all through dinner, it's best to pay the $10, or excuse yourself and stroll back to your room for a refill.

(I've done both :o )

The idea that I am making more work for the crew because I bring my own dinner wine is silly. Whether I drink their wine or mine they still have to serve it, clear the table and wash the stemware. If I drink it in my room when the bars are closed there is no or minimal impact on them and thus no charge-it is only in the dining room.

The fact that if I bring my own wine I may be less likely to buy wine of the expensive list questionable. On the contrary, it may well indicate an appreciation of older, more expensive wines, making my ordering from the special list more likely.

I think the real answer is that they figure if you have enough income to buy fine wine, you can be hit to add to their revenue stream.

Of course never put your wine into a checked bag on an airplane. Buy a 2, 3, 6 or 12 pack styro wine shipper and check it. I've been doing this for over 20 years and have yet to lose a single bottle.

Obviously I wouldn't bring an everyday bottle of wine .As it happens, I'm a professional wine judge and would only go through the hassle of bringing my own wine if I was bringing a gem or two from our cellar.

Edited by Bfson

We enjoy buying wine in ports (never bring wine from home). Next year, our cruise begins in Venice and goes to Croatia. I'll probably pick up a bottle of something good in Venice, but mainly drink the included (house) wines in the dining rooms and restaurants. I do agree with the main point by the OP that the policy is a bit silly.

Actually the $10 corkage is quite reasonable. hal charges a very high $18 and then look out for oceania which has been discussed here with an unbelievable $25!!!!

Those are the only two comparisons I have but, pretty sure Azamara is on the lower if not lowest end of the charge. And, don't forget, the corkage includes the gratuity.

The idea that I am making more work for the crew because I bring my own dinner wine is silly. Whether I drink their wine or mine they still have to serve it, clear the table and wash the stemware. If I drink it in my room when the bars are closed there is no or minimal impact on them and thus no charge-it is only in the dining room.

The fact that if I bring my own wine I may be less likely to buy wine of the expensive list questionable. On the contrary, it may well indicate an appreciation of older, more expensive wines, making my ordering from the special list more likely.

I think the real answer is that they figure if you have enough income to buy fine wine, you can be hit to add to their revenue stream.

Of course never put your wine into a checked bag on an airplane. Buy a 2, 3, 6 or 12 pack styro wine shipper and check it. I've been doing this for over 20 years and have yet to lose a single bottle.

Obviously I wouldn't bring an everyday bottle of wine .As it happens, I'm a professional wine judge and would only go through the hassle of bringing my own wine if I was bringing a gem or two from our cellar.

The fact that many European restaurants have a "service charge" to set a table may also sound silly. But, that's the way it is.

Are you taking your personal empties home with you? If not, who's paying for their handling and disposal (and realize that the storage and handling of the Azamara bottles you don't consume for "free" or buy off the expensive list will still meet their "empty" fate at the hands of other customers.

LIKELY to buy vs WILL buy (their expensive list) are vastly different things at the bottom line.

Etc.

I expect that you will still think the corkage fee makes no sense. But, that's a moot point. After all, you are correct that Azamara will charge what the market will bear. Perhaps yet another reason for you to switch to Oceania.

I expect that you will still think the corkage fee makes no sense. But, that's a moot point. After all, you are correct that Azamara will charge what the market will bear. Perhaps yet another reason for you to switch to Oceania.

Am mystified by the above comment. Why would paying 2 1/2 times to corkage fee on Oceania be a reason to change to Oceania. It would most certainly NOT be a reason to change from the reasonable $10 corkage on Azamara!!

Am mystified by the above comment. Why would paying 2 1/2 times to corkage fee on Oceania be a reason to change to Oceania. It would most certainly NOT be a reason to change from the reasonable $10 corkage on Azamara!!

You need to look at the big picture and your bottom line TOTAL projected daily costs. For some (not all) cruisers, items like O's air credit and often lower cabin cost (with alcohol packages as an option [$60/day for unlimited Prestige package]), makes O's higher corkage less significant.

We find O (more often than any other line) fits our overall profile of needs and preferences as a "best bang for your buck" provider.

It is not uncommon in any industry to have low cost lures only to find net final cost higher than the competitor.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

The supposed logic in those two statements has me shaking my head in wonder. Next someone will tell me Oceania is a charitable organization.

Getting back to the subject at hand.

1. Azamara stocks a wine-cellar with many "gem" wines in order to generate revenue, not to use as ballast. Just like any fine restaurant. Why would they not charge a corkage fee if someone brings their own. Just like any fine restaurant.

2. When not traveling, you can buy as much wine, liquor, etc., and consume it at home, at a friend's home, at a picnic (as long as you're not driving), and so on. But if you go to a restaurant, unless it's in a dry town or county, you drink the restaurant's wine and pay them for it.

Why should it be any different on a cruise ship? Your stateroom is your "home." Azamara will let you consume whatever you bring on board to your heart's content in your stateroom "home." But, just as at any land restaurant not in a dry town or county, in the restaurant you drink the wine they sell, or, if they include a glass of wine with the dinner, you drink it. Bring your own and you pay a corkage fee. Even if you are a "wine judge."

3. Pouring a glass in your room and sneaking it into a shipboard restaurant is, well, better left unsaid. People complain on Cruise Critic about being nickled and dimed by cruise lines. Amusing to me to see people willingly boast here about how they nickle and dime their cruise line.

Edited by marinaro44

The supposed logic in those two statements has me shaking my head in wonder. Next someone will tell me Oceania is a charitable organization.

Getting back to the subject at hand.

1. Azamara stocks a wine-cellar with many "gem" wines in order to generate revenue, not to use as ballast. Just like any fine restaurant. Why would they not charge a corkage fee if someone brings their own. Just like any fine restaurant.

2. When not traveling, you can buy as much wine, liquor, etc., and consume it at home, at a friend's home, at a picnic (as long as you're not driving), and so on. But if you go to a restaurant, unless it's in a dry town or county, you drink the restaurant's wine and pay them for it.

Why should it be any different on a cruise ship? Your stateroom is your "home." Azamara will let you consume whatever you bring on board to your heart's content in your stateroom "home." But, just as at any land restaurant not in a dry town or county, in the restaurant you drink the wine they sell, or, if they include a glass of wine with the dinner, you drink it. Bring your own and you pay a corkage fee. Even if you are a "wine judge."

3. Pouring a glass in your room and sneaking it into a shipboard restaurant is, well, better left unsaid. People complain on Cruise Critic about being nickled and dimed by cruise lines. Amusing to me to see people willingly boast here about how they nickle and dime their cruise line.

I think we're in agreement about the reasonableness of a corkage fee even when some wines are included in the cabin cost.

As for "charging what the market will bear," that's just common sense. Azamara looked at its costs, its client profile et al. and chose $10.

My comment about O was basically: if you don't like A's pricing decisions, try another line (e.g., O, where the increased corkage fee may be irrelevant when you look at total cost per day comparison).

If this was a restaurant on shore, where the guests can choose to buy wine or not, I would have no problem with a $10 corkage fee. (In fact I'd call it a bargain.) But here wine is included with meals. That fact, to me, changes the situation.

Edited by Bfson

If this was a restaurant on shore, where the guests can choose to buy wine or not, I would have no problem with a $10 corkage fee. (In fact I'd call it a bargain.) But here wine is included with meals. That fact, to me, changes the situation.

Yes, but it's not fully inclusive. Only select daily wines are available at no cost.

Phil

Yes, but it's not fully inclusive. Only select daily wines are available at no cost.

Phil

True but if I don't drink those selected wines, doesn't it save the ship money?

Edited by Bfson

As for "charging what the market will bear," that's just common sense. Azamara looked at its costs, its client profile et al. and chose $10.

My comment about O was basically: if you don't like A's pricing decisions, try another line (e.g., O, where the increased corkage fee may be irrelevant when you look at total cost per day comparison).

Total cost per day is, whenever I've checked, comparable, and Azamara includes more. Plus, Azamara doesn't use Frank Del Rio's ongoing and deceptive two-for-one pricing scam. I wouldn't set foot on an Oceania ship.

No sneaking...carry comfortably and openly and the person seating us usually offers to carry it on a tray.

Get the smelling salts ready Percy, I also pour my fine spirits and carry them out of my room in a glass, and into a bar, restaurant or pool deck.

Everyone on both sides of the equation (running the cruise line and buying what the cruise line is selling) is going for some amounts of 'nickle and dime' (sic). All's fair in nickel-and-diming. Some people, I suppose, must be the generous type to pay brochure prices, avoid all sales and deals, and eagerly offer more, as not to hurt the bottom line of the said cruise. I couldn't be more tickled for them. Seriously.

If I'm drinking my wine and not their 'free' wine, I'm saving them expense.

Some one indicated it's fine to drink it in the room for free, using ship’s glasses and having room stewards throw away the bottle, but somehow, it's killing the bottom line for the waiters to throw away the bottle w/o giving them $10 to $25?

It doesn't cost the cruise line money for me to drink my own when I wasn't going to purchase theirs. And saving them the expense of a few bottles of the included-pour is a plus to their bottom line.

The OP said the policy didn't make a lot of sense, and no answer given really explains why the charge, except the assumption that the OP would pay hundreds (thousands?) of dollars for wine which doesn't really match what he went to a bit of trouble to bring.

(Spouse says, 'since it adds one more task to a busy wait-staff, maybe it's to help compensate them and/or reduce the occurrences of this happening'. That's probably worth giving them $10, then.)

This was the explanation in June 2012 given by the then Azamara Chief Blogging Officer, Bill Leiber which I believe explains it all very well.

Hello Azamara Wine Enthusiasts -

I've learned from our Vice President of Hotel Operations the correct information to answer the two questions that you asked earlier in June:

1. What is the Corkage Fee?

The correct "Corkage Fee" is $ 10.00 and it is a "firm" policy. Previously, we charged $25; however, we have not done so since April 2012.

It's not an unusual for restaurants and cruise lines to add a corkage fee so that a guest can open their own special wine onboard in various dining rooms or other public areas. The reason for doing so is that liquor and wine sales contribute to our profit through the modest "mark-up" added to the price offered on our wine and spirits lists. When a guest brings their personal wine selection, however, we add a "flat" $10 per bottle "Corkage Fee" a means to recover the unrealized "mark-up" revenue included on our wine list.

When "Dr H" pointed out on this thread, "you are allowed a virtually unlimited amount of alcohol to be brought onboard," he was referring to our flexibility since we have not set a "cap" on liquor and/or wine brought onboard. There is, however, a point of what's "reasonable," since we are not in the cargo business and we have very limited storage.

I was pleased to read that a few of you rated our corkage policy as more than "fair."

It seems that the "pasted" copy with the $25 fee was outdated. Below is the correct information that is currently on our website:

"Azamara Club Cruises offers a wide selection of international liquors, beer and fine wines onboard. You may however bring your own favorite liquor, beer or wine for private consumption in your suite or stateroom.(*) If you wish to consume your liquor, beer or wine in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle is subject to a corkage fee of $10 USD."

"If you are given a bottle of wine that was purchased from Azamara's Bon Voyage Gift selection, then no corkage fee will apply. If you are given a bottle of wine from an outside vendor and/or travel professional, and the bottle was not purchased through Azamara's Bon Voyage selection, then a $10 USD corkage fee will apply if the wine is consumed in the dining room or other public area. All corkage fees will be added to your onboard account."

"Alcoholic beverages purchased from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Alcohol will not be delivered to any guest under the minimum drinking age."

Here is a link to "Alcohol Policy" on our website:

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/guest-conduct-policy/alcohol

2. Has the 50% wine discount been discontinued?

Based on the disappointing results from this program to stimulate an increase in retail wine sales, our shipboard management decided to discontinue the 50% discount wine promotion. Since the costs are reasonable on our wine lists, I'm sure that you'll continue to have the flexibility to enjoy a broader selection of wines.

Thank you for your patience during my information gathering and for giving me the opportunity to double-check the accuracy of the content on our website.

For those of you with forthcoming voyages on Azamara Club Cruises my best wishes for a vacation that will exceed your expectations.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Having regard for the fact that Azamara isn't all inclusive and there is no limit to what you can bring on I personally think $10 is reasonable. It's been reported here that guests have brought their own alcohol into dining venues without corkage being charged. However the policy is $10 per bottle.

Phil

If you don't like the policy, either don't take wine or cruise with someone else, their ship their rules.

I agree it doesn't seem to make sense charge you more to drink your own wine, if you drink their's they use the glass the service and the rest of it you are saving them $$$, but they make the rules.

[

No sneaking...carry comfortably and openly and the person seating us usually offers to carry it on a tray.

Get the smelling salts ready Percy, I also pour my fine spirits and carry them out of my room in a glass, and into a bar, restaurant or pool deck.

Of course. No one can tell whether it came from ship's bar or your private stash. Clever on your part.

Everyone on both sides of the equation (running the cruise line and buying what the cruise line is selling) is going for some amounts of 'nickle and dime' (sic). All's fair in nickel-and-diming. Some people, I suppose, must be the generous type to pay brochure prices, avoid all sales and deals, and eagerly offer more, as not to hurt the bottom line of the said cruise. I couldn't be more tickled for them. Seriously.

Sorry you are unable to understand the difference between taking advantage of a promotion offered by a cruise line and breaking one of its on-board rules.

The OP said the policy didn't make a lot of sense, and no answer given really explains why the charge...

No. You just don't want to understand why the charge. Big difference. I made it quite clear. As does Azamara. Breaking a rule to save a buck, I suppose, is important to some.

Edited by marinaro44

Just off a wedding cruise on the Liberty of the Seas and many in our party of 55 brought the allowed 2 bottles of wine onboard. We shared bottles at dinner several evenings and no corkage was charged.

Doesn't make sense to me that the mass market parent would not charge for the privilege, while the smaller "boutique" ship does.

Just off a wedding cruise on the Liberty of the Seas and many in our party of 55 brought the allowed 2 bottles of wine onboard. We shared bottles at dinner several evenings and no corkage was charged.

Doesn't make sense to me that the mass market parent would not charge for the privilege, while the smaller "boutique" ship does.

Yes, but RCCL allows only two bottles to be brought on-board and only on the day of embarkation. Azamara has no limit on either quantity or date to take on-board. Most of us don't travel in a party of 55, and two bottles won't go far for a couple on a two-week cruise, especially if you'd like a glass or two on your veranda before dinner. RCCL also forbids bringing any hard liquor or beer on-board. Lastly, Azamara freely pours boutique red, white, and rose wines at every brunch, lunch, and dinner. RCCL asks for your keycard not just for wine, but for every little thing you can think of.

This is the whole story:

Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption.

Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops during the cruise vacation will be stored onboard and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

RCCL asks for your keycard not just for wine, but for every little thing you can think of.

.[/i]

Yes, that is exactly my point. I was surprised that RCCL charged no corkage fee and Azamara, the more inclusive one does.

I agree that $10 is inexpensive. And I get your point about unlimited bottles, but I'm with the OP - the policy doesn't make sense to me.