Azamara Club Cruises Reveals Extensive Changes for its Two Ships

LauraS

Looking forward to seeing the new Journey in February.

Interested in seeing the changes to the Looking Glass as Wine and Tapas bar may make it used more than it is already.

Will there be no buffet facility in the evening or is the Asian restaurant outside only?

Windows will have breakfast, lunch and dinner inside only. I enjoyed breakfast outside there, though they are expanding pool grill with new outdoor dining room.

This is so disappointing. We love to have breakfast outside; it's a key part of our holiday experience, whether at sea or in a hotel. Eating inside in a noisy, crowded buffet area just isn't the same. Maybe, by the time of our next cruise in October 2016, management may have reconsidered this, and will open up the outside area for breakfast and lunch. One can hope.

Thank you very much for your comments and insights on the plans we released this week for our Reimagine Azamara project. As Larry Pimentel has noted on another thread, we do read your posts carefully on this forum and history shows we listen and make changes where appropriate from the input you give us. Throughout the rest of the year we will share more information about the project with you, so please stay engaged with us.

We wanted to take this opportunity to clarify some information about these new additions.

Our brand new Asian-fusion restaurant outside Windows Café was conceived because of a love of Asian food by almost every nationality. We feel it is a terrific addition to the onboard dining experience.

Guests dining in Windows Café will still be able to dine outdoors in this area for breakfast, lunch, and drinks until 5pm, however, as you have gathered, at that point we’ll get ready to re-open for the evening’s Asian dining.

We will have other options to enjoy the outdoor and watch the sunset. The Pool Grill will be significantly enhanced and in the evening will offer complimentary candle lit dining with an expanded menu. This Al Fresco dining will include protected and open air seating, with the nearby stage providing live entertainment or movies under the stars on select evenings. You can feel free to bring your meal from Windows at any time to enjoy the sun, the sea, and the stars, not to mention your delicious meal.

In addition, because we appreciate your input and we’re listening to your concerns, we are looking in to adding tables to deck 10, so guests can dine and drink while enjoying a beautiful open-air sunset by the sea. There is still some planning to be done on this, but we will come back with more information at a later stage.

The Pool Bar will remain open until 11pm, so you can enjoy drinks served by your favorite bartender under the moonlight. Or those looking for an alternative outdoor option can bring the conversation up to the enhanced Deck 11, with new comfortable seating and a roaming bartender - which, by the way, is another new offering!

This all means more seating, an expanded outdoor space, and a new Asian dining experience for those wanting to enjoy a full meal or just a snack and drinks. We hope that once you board your next voyage (after drydock), you’ll love the enhanced Deck 9. And all of our other enhanced decks for that matter. Stay tuned for more updates!

This sounds better, Bonnie, but decks 10 and 11 are prone to strong winds. The beauty of the outdoor area of Windows is that it is relatively protected from wind caused by the ship's forward movement, making it a calm, largely-shaded outdoor refuge. I don't know how you can accomplish that on decks 10 and 11.

Edited by marinaro44

Thanks, Bonnie. I love Asian cuisine, but am just curious what will happen to that venue in bad weather? Why not put the new restaurant in the Pool Bar area at night, since it's covered, and leave the aft deck for those of us who love it just as it is?

This could be interesting as you have walkers /joggers up to around 8 at night if not later. as someone who sleeps on deck 8 i know you can hear furniture move and the idea of people walking around or dancing up on 9 on more than one night per cruise could be a challange for people who go to bed by 10 pm... counting the months until i get to try the new menu.

Yes, but you can eat freshly cooked Asian right now for dinner if you want to, and eat outside with friends who are having something completely different, all from the extensive, excellent buffet.

You're stealing the best part of the ship to raise revenue.

Bonnie, thanks for your confirmation that Kibo restaurant will be open for general use until 5pm. Good to hear. I am sure Azamara have many brains working on the new plans (!), but from what you have said wanted to add my own thoughts from observations I've had. Randomly:

• At the moment I estimate there is seating for about 75 at Windows Outdoor. It would be interesting to know what capacity there will be at Kibo. From the pictures I would think about 20 less than that. The tables for four reduces from around 17 to 8. That's quite a reduction.
  • The current seating at Windows Outdoor is great. The seats are very comfortable. From the renderings I can see the chairs to be used are the same as those currently on the Thelassotherapy deck. They are OK, but not that great to sit on. Not a patch on what we have at the moment.
  • You talk of deck 10. I agree with marinaro. It can get awfully windy up there and not a great spot when the ship is sailing, unless it is calm weather. As ellbon says walkers and joggers use that area until quite late too. I just don't think it's practical.
  • Deck 11 whilst a nice idea on paper is not ideal, not just because of the wind, but because it can only be accessed via steep stairs. There is no elevator. It is a good spot for sunning during the day, but not for drinks. Its too remote from the bar and staff would struggle to man it properly carrying trays up those stairs. BTW, there is already a roaming bar tender service there. Some of the bar tenders roam much better than others!
  • It's difficult to make comment of the new Pool Grill area as we haven't seen any details or pictures, but I've never felt it has an outdoors feeling because it is enclosed. Not a place to watch the stars or sunset.
  • It will be good to see the Pool Bar area plans, but unless there is decent shade there and in warm climates it gets so hot as there is no breeze. Not a place I'd want to sit and eat. Pass by for a drink, yes.

Sorry, it sounds like I'm just moaning, but I've tried to be constructive in what I have said. I'm very disappointed at the "enhancements" to Windows Outdoor having studied and pondered some more and feel that the suggested alternatives that are being considered haven't been thought out properly and perhaps thrown out there to placate us a bit.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Bonnie, thanks for your confirmation that Kibo restaurant will be open for general use until 5pm. Good to hear. I am sure Azamara have many brains working on the new plans (!), but from what you have said wanted to add my own thoughts from observations I've had. Randomly:

• At the moment I estimate there is seating for about 75 at Windows Outdoor. It would be interesting to know what capacity there will be at Kibo. From the pictures I would think about 20 less than that. The tables for four reduces from around 17 to 8. That's quite a reduction.
  • The current seating at Windows Outdoor is great. The seats are very comfortable. From the renderings I can see the chairs to be used are the same as those currently on the Thelassotherapy deck. They are OK, but not that great to sit on. Not a patch on what we have at the moment.
  • You talk of deck 10. I agree with marinaro. It can get awfully windy up there and not a great spot when the ship is sailing, unless it is calm weather. As ellbon says walkers and joggers use that area until quite late too. I just don't think it's practical.
  • Deck 11 whilst a nice idea on paper is not ideal, not just because of the wind, but because it can only be accessed via steep stairs. There is no elevator. It is a good spot for sunning during the day, but not for drinks. Its too remote from the bar and staff would struggle to man it properly carrying trays up those stairs. BTW, there is already a roaming bar tender service there. Some of the bar tenders roam much better than others!
  • It's difficult to make comment of the new Pool Grill area as we haven't seen any details or pictures, but I've never felt it has an outdoors feeling because it is enclosed. Not a place to watch the stars or sunset.
  • It will be good to see the Pool Bar area plans, but unless there is decent shade there and in warm climates it gets so hot as there is no breeze. Not a place I'd want to sit and eat. Pass by for a drink, yes.

Sorry, it sounds like I'm just moaning, but I've tried to be constructive in what I have said. I'm very disappointed at the "enhancements" to Windows Outdoor having studied and pondered some more and feel that the suggested alternatives that are being considered haven't been thought out properly and perhaps thrown out there to placate us a bit.

Phil

Agree 100%

Bonnie, thank you for all of the information. I think it's great that Azamara directly addresses the concerns of its passengers on social media. To me, that's a trademark of a customer/client driven business. That's why we chose Azamara for our next cruise.

Of course, some believe this is awful and that is true for any change. I have seen comments even against the modernization and contemporary look of the reboot of these ships. As for Kibo, we are looking forward to it and will spend one night there on our cruise. My wife has an allergy and her default is to choose restaurants where food is made to order and she can go through her issues with the servers. I hope the a la carte pricing makes it not much more than a $50 dinner for two. For those who find this to be a deal breaker and will cancel cruises with Azamara, I do feel badly, but hope there are enough improvements so that you still enjoy the overall product.

I do not think there are that many chairs but i never counted. the bar chairs are so bad and spin to much... there are people like me who wil lgo alone so they need two tops and a sushi bar. .covered.

i found the chair find for the hour or so it takes to eat.. funny, Asian takes less time than boring Western food to cook.. I will bring a pillow to sit on if it helps me eat.

No way i am losing my track more than one night per cruise which is white nights.. before 7 or 8 pm.. since i had a runner last cruise after 7 i could learn to stop by 730.. if you are eating dinner anywhere on ship you have to stop to shower. 10 was windy before japan and a couple other times so i would not eat there. only would work on an overnight. those nights i tend to be off ship eating.

I have gone to ask for bar service here- mostly to clean up guests messes.. towels and drinks everywhere. i see people drinking up here while on the track. some are up there at 8 but not past it. .once the pool bar closed no one went up there -or after sunset.

thought it was to get added tables after 5 so they could use the stage more or whatever. more noise on deck 8- adding and taking away just like white night but not as many tables.. think having the grill open past 6 is great.. rather eat from there than windows.. i take food from windows and would eat there. as it is I eat near the pool all the time. think this area would be used to about 9. .no not from AZ just a thought. bar opwn to 11 is alte. .10 makes sense. .

here i do not agree with you. i see people eat here at lunch if there a table. .why would they not carry food over from windows or grill.. if the bar and pool open it will be busy.. our pool closes earlier than other lines i have been on..i even swam at 10 pm just because i can . plenty of shade there. i sit in it talking to people. .yes, it has to do with where we are sailing.

Phil

nothing wrong with one word you said but someone will not agree with you. i agree on most points .think it is time to find a big suite

Phil

Well put Phil

I am still doubtful that any enhancements to the Pool grill can truly replicate the outdoor Sunset area.

Good news that the pool bar will be open longer, 7pm is way too early to close.

At the moment my mind is unchanged about booking further cruises due to the loss of our favourite evening eating venue but I shall await with interest comments from fellow passengers post refit

Still feeling sad.

We all have our own views on what the ideal cruise ship should have. No ship offers everything for everyone ; we wouldn't want them to. Azamara are certainly in my opinion moving forward admirably with these plans. They will be marketing and attracting a wider audience; perhaps younger guests in the 40-55 yrs age range who are travel adventurous and with these changes will help secure their future repeat cruisers long term. Their ships are looking quite old fashioned and dated, although I like the way they feel like a ship and not a floating resort.

Only thing I would dearly love to see returning to the product is the 50% Shore excursion discount.

We all have our own views on what the ideal cruise ship should have. No ship offers everything for everyone ; we wouldn't want them to. Azamara are certainly in my opinion moving forward admirably with these plans. They will be marketing and attracting a wider audience; perhaps younger guests in the 40-55 yrs age range who are travel adventurous and with these changes will help secure their future repeat cruisers long term. Their ships are looking quite old fashioned and dated, although I like the way they feel like a ship and not a floating resort.

Only thing I would dearly love to see returning to the product is the 50% Shore excursion discount.

well said! i would like to see more adventurous tours and guests.. some of the 55 plus group wants more than a bus ride and 14 minutes of walking on a tour.

[*]At the moment I estimate there is seating for about 75 at Windows Outdoor. It would be interesting to know what capacity there will be at Kibo. From the pictures I would think about 20 less than that. The tables for four reduces from around 17 to 8. That's quite a reduction.

Phil

Many good points in your post but, perhaps, this is the most important.

I note that that in the initial news story the renderings were described as the "first" artists' drawings.

I hope, then, that future plans optimize the seating in this area.

But will they still continue to use the dreadful plastic picnic "glasses"

Probably one of the nicest, but underused areas on the ship is the Drawing Room/Library. Right next to the other specialty restaurants too!!

But will they still continue to use the dreadful plastic picnic "glasses"

Probably one of the nicest, but underused areas on the ship is the Drawing Room/Library. Right next to the other specialty restaurants too!!

funny, it is used more than you think. .the poor waiters carry the tables and chairs from another part of the ship.. when they do a dunner event there it is close from 5 to 10 or 11 pm.. it is also used for some small meetings etc.