Azamazing Evenings -- Yes or No

Thameside

We are booked on Azamara Journey due to depart from Athens on 20th Sept 2015. This is our first Azamara trip since the introduction of Azamazing Evenings. I have read a lot discussion on the subject and it seems fairly split as to Good or Bad and seems very much dependant on the actual event and location. It seems that the one for this cruise is to be held in FETHIYE, TURKEY and doing a little research into the venue, which is Kale Park Restaurant, it does not make very good reading. It also says that a welcome drink and canapes will be served.

I thought that these evenings always included dinner, but this does not always seem to be the case, reading some of your reports. Has anyone been on this evening or read anything about as I am currently of the mind that I would be better off not subscribing even though it's Free. A shame because it was something I was looking forward to. ANY THOUGHTS Please.

I've been to probably half a dozen and whilst some are better than others I'd always sign up to go. Generally there isn't a dinner served (I've never had it), but rather bites to eat/finger food and soft and alcoholic drinks, depending upon venue. There will be buffet style food served on the ship afterwards if you don't eat before you go.

I know some who never go or have been before and are happy to stay on an empty ship for the evening, but I'd get off and do it. They are good fun and the crew work so hard to make it happen.

Phil

I don't think opinions are "fairly split" at all. Reviews are very much positive. Four of the five we've done have been excellent and none have included a dinner.

Our recent Evening at Liverpool Cathedral was terrific and there's a recent thread with a very positive posting about the Evening just done in Edinburgh.

We too are new to Azamara.

We sail in two weeks. Our Amazing Evening is at St Johns Co-cathedral, Malta. The description states we will enjoy a choral performance of classical music.

As we do not know the way these events work we were in the same position as you are, not knowing what to do.

Our evening starts at 7.00 pm. There are no refreshments provided ( this makes perfect sense as the venue is a church). We don't know how Azamara will manage to feed all those who book to attend unless some sort of buffet is served.

Although we are not classical music or choral fans we have decided to attend simply because we don't want to miss a good evening and are prepared to take a chance.

Our evening starts at 7.00 pm. There are no refreshments provided ( this makes perfect sense as the venue is a church). We don't know how Azamara will manage to feed all those who book to attend unless some sort of buffet is served. .

Usually the dining venues open early, and there may be after event sandwiches etc. in the Looking Glass. The event in Liverpool Cathedral (2014) served champagne during Intermission, but no food. Others I have attended serve snacks, or a buffet, and drinks. The ones I have attended were definately worth attending, enjoyable and entertaining.

We sail in two weeks. Our Amazing Evening is at St Johns Co-cathedral, Malta. The description states we will enjoy a choral performance of classical music.

As we do not know the way these events work we were in the same position as you are, not knowing what to do.

Our evening starts at 7.00 pm. There are no refreshments provided ( this makes perfect sense as the venue is a church). We don't know how Azamara will manage to feed all those who book to attend unless some sort of buffet is served.

Although we are not classical music or choral fans we have decided to attend simply because we don't want to miss a good evening and are prepared to take a chance.

An extensive buffet will be served in both Windows and Discoveries at 5:30. The Co-Cathedral is spectacularly beautiful. Do not miss it. Another buffet of soups, sandwiches, etc., will be served in Windows when you return to the ship, if you are still hungry.

Transport to the event will likely start at 7 pm and the event will likely start at 8 pm. Do not miss the Caravaggio painting of Saint Jerome in the Co-Cathedral. Be sure to explore the church.

I am so envious.

We are booked on Azamara Journey due to depart from Athens on 20th Sept 2015. This is our first Azamara trip since the introduction of Azamazing Evenings. I have read a lot discussion on the subject and it seems fairly split as to Good or Bad and seems very much dependant on the actual event and location. It seems that the one for this cruise is to be held in FETHIYE, TURKEY and doing a little research into the venue, which is Kale Park Restaurant, it does not make very good reading. It also says that a welcome drink and canapes will be served.

I thought that these evenings always included dinner, but this does not always seem to be the case, reading some of your reports. Has anyone been on this evening or read anything about as I am currently of the mind that I would be better off not subscribing even though it's Free. A shame because it was something I was looking forward to. ANY THOUGHTS Please.

There is some difference of opinion on whether the Azamazing evening is a valuable cruise amenity but as others have stated all of them are worth going to since it is free. Personally, i would prefer to have one free excursion or an excursion credit but that's just my take on it. Did not think too much of the one we had in Barcelona...Flamenco dance performance but will go to the Azamazing evening on my next cruise.

Our azamazing evening in Venice on the 23 June cruise was terrible. It was just a lousy opera performance with not even water being available. There was also a lot of waiting. I wish I gave that evening a miss . It was azadisaster.😊

IMO most of the evenings are worth attending, occasionally not. We didn't fancy the one offered when we were in Malta so stayed on the ship and had a lovely dinner in Prime C that night.

The Three Tenors concert at the beautiful Goldoni Theatre in Livorno was simply sensational though

Edited by Spursgirl

My only experience with an Azamazing Evening occurred last year in Panama City.

Since the previous Azamazing Evening in Panama City was a logistical disaster, it was decided to hold it on the ship AND to hold White Night at the same time. Some local dancers were brought on board to perform. There was no description of what they were trying to depict with what might be called native dances.

All-in-all the whole evening was a confused mess.

Thanks everyone for your input, it is helping me to decide. A pity this one, to be held in FETHIYE, TURKEY probably hasn't been done before. We will decide nearer the time.

We attended one of the first Azamazing Evenings in Fethiye a couple of years ago, at that time a full dinner was served which was a bit of a logistical difficulty, due to the number of guests (the whole ship) not everyone was served the dessert course, hence the decision to change to light snacks is far better in my opinion. In fact on that first occasion there was ample provision of light snacks at the venue in Fethiye before the dinner. We were seated at tables and watched a traditional Turkish wedding performance, followed by Belly Dancers:)

We have been to a number of evenings since then and have enjoyed them all, particularly the one in Burma at the Peoples Park in Yangon.

We are on the Journey in September and have signed up again for the Azamazing evening in Fethiye. :)

Edited by Azamarajunkie

The Azamazing evenings we have been to have been held in unique venues, with an insight into music and culture we would never normally have seen.

They put a lot of work and effort into these.

I cannot imagine considering missing these because you may miss dinner! You will not go hungry - there is food served before and after the event. In Sevastopol they served food at the event too.

Incredible violinist Ana Ruckner in Croatia

image-M.jpg

Wonderful Ukraine singers and dancers in Sevastopol

IMG_0355-M.jpg

IMG_0356-M.jpg

Edited by little britain

The Azamazing evenings we have been to have been held in unique venues, with an insight into music and culture we would never normally have seen.

They put a lot of work and effort into these.

I cannot imagine considering missing these because you may miss dinner! You will not go hungry - there is food served before and after the event. In Sevastopol they served food at the event too.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

It is certainly not missing dinner, that is the problem. It is whether it is worth the hassle, experienced by some, firstly having to tender and presumably then being coached to the venue and then perhaps not enjoying the venue and or performance. That was the point of my question, obviously for you it was worth it.

Edited by Thameside

We have been to a few, but decided to skip the last one in Sorrento. We signed up for it, but cancelled the day before. The other events in Ephesus and Hvar were spectacular so it was not because we suspected that the event wouldn't be anything but fantastic. We just didn't feel like going ashore in the evening and had a wonderfully quiet evening on board with the other 150 or so who just wanted to relax on the ship. Afterwards we only heard positive comments on the event, but we never regretted that we didn't go. :)

Our Azamazing evening was on the quayside in Chania, Crete. Stunning setting and 'mock' Greek wedding with music and dancing. It was truly wonderful and wouldn't have missed it for the world.

We had wine, soft drinks etc and many desserts - a buffet had been served on the ship earlier and was available again when we got back onboard. In fact we commented that there wasn't really a need to have so much food at the event, much of which must have gone to waste.

I can't imagine why anyone would miss such a unique experience to ensure they didn't miss out on a dining room meal - and can't wait to spend an evening in Ephesus on our Azamazing evening in a couple of weeks.

Don't miss it! It's one of the signature products that Azamara offers, and it's fun and unique. We have only done one Azamara cruise so far and our evening was in Rio. It was a Samba show with Brazilian cocktails. It wasn't "amazing", but it was a great way to do something that we would not have done on our own. We enjoyed the show and it was a nice highlight of our time in Rio. We will definitely be signing up for these on future cruises. I couldn't imagine staying onboard ship.

Michael

Hello Thameside,

Count another "Yes" vote for your upcoming Azamazing Evening. I googled your venue and it looks quite nice, cliff-side seating with a panoramic view over Fethiye Bay - I'd guess the sunset would be spectacular. During our Azamazing evening at Ephesus I was bowled over by our private concert in the midst of an ancient city, under the stars. The bus ride was painless; nibbles & drinks were served from small tables scattered about on the marble streets; scores of helpers did all they could to assure the comfort of those who attended. I loved it. I'm ready for another : )

I have done three evenings, in Hvar which others have spoken about, Kerela India and Gibraltar. All have involved some transport which Azamara has handled perfectly none have involved meals, who cares, one night of lighter fare is probably a good idea.

Our next cruise had its evening changed a while back so it's not in Bordeaux but Gibraltar, a repeat one.

And yes, we are delighted, we loved the first one SO much, we are very happy to be going back the hear the band in the magnificent cave setting - you can't set up a trip like that yourself!

It is certainly not missing dinner, that is the problem. It is whether it is worth the hassle, experienced by some, firstly having to tender and presumably then being coached to the venue and then perhaps not enjoying the venue and or performance. That was the point of my question, obviously for you it was worth it.

Isn't the whole point about foreign travel about savouring new experiences......and perhaps a little "hassle" makes it worth it?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

I'm sure this has been covered before, but could anyone tell me what our dining options will be in the event we choose not to attend the azamazing evening? I would guess that not all the dining options would be open.