Club Continent Suites not ready for first sailing out of dry dock

venice07

Hello -

We are sailing on Azamara Journey's January 27/2016 cruise out of Miami - the first scheduled after the ship comes out of dry dock.

We've just been informed by our TA that the Club Continent Suite we booked won't be ready, and we're being moved to a verandah cabin in the lower category. Granted, we've been offered a reduced fare but we've now got the jitters about this cruise. Our TA told us she has never encountered anything like this in 20 years in the cruise travel business.

Aren't the veranda cabins being refurbished, too?

I don't know how much you are looking forward to this cruise, but I'd be canceling.

P.S. I have close friends who moved from Surrey to Vancouver Island in the last couple of years.

Edited by Pam

How very strange that they can know this when its 6 months away. Did they give a specific reason for this ? Very concerning as we're on the first sailing on Quest after her refurb.

Bonnie - have you any info on this?

Adrian

This has happened to other lines, although very infrequently. The "standard" practice seems to be either cancel the cruise or schedule a shorter cruise with giving px an option to cancel; or take the altered cruise with a "make happy" refund.

Moving to a lower cabin does not auger well for a typical AZ experience.

In an earlier article on the refurbishment it was stated that work would continue for six days into the cruise immediately following the dry dock, so they obviously knew that they could not complete everything during the allotted two weeks.

They also said that despite this there would be no disruption to passengers. Well, this sounds like a disruption to me.

We are also on this cruise and in a CC Suite, as yet we have no adverse notification but are very nervous. With flights booked and paid for and as we also have a Princess cruise booked pre Azamara any alteration or cancelation could cause us considerable expense. We would certainly not be happy with a downgrade whatever.

How very strange that they can know this when its 6 months away. Did they give a specific reason for this ? Very concerning as we're on the first sailing on Quest after her refurb.

Bonnie - have you any info on this?

Adrian

Hi Lexdisic, many departments are working diligently to ensure the minimal amount of disruption. When I know more, I'll surely post it here.

Obviously, there are factors to consider before I would cancel.

Is this an itinerary I want to do on that date?

Is this the ship I want to do it on?

Can I “live” with the downgrade (at a lower cost) to a veranda cabin?

Is airfare or pre-post arrangements made?

As it turns out there will be a small block of accommodations having the finishing touches completed during the first 3-5 days of the voyage immediately following drydock in 2016.

Some of these suites/staterooms affected are unbooked. But some are under deposit. Those guests booked in these suites/staterooms are being contacted via their travel agent, or directly if such is the case.

We are of course adjusting the fare if a downgrade is involved, and in addition offering onboard spending money as an appreciation of willingness to change suite/stateroom assignment.

I have full faith in our officers, staff and crew onboard to handle this. I know they will do whatever it takes to make the voyage as memorable and great as any other voyage.

We are also on this cruise and in a CC Suite, as yet we have no adverse notification but are very nervous. With flights booked and paid for and as we also have a Princess cruise booked pre Azamara any alteration or cancelation could cause us considerable expense. We would certainly not be happy with a downgrade whatever.

Did you make final payment? How long ago did you book this cruise? I'm wondering how many people who booked a CC Suite are affected by the work not being finished. I'm also wondering if only those who took advantage of Azamara's special promotion are being downgraded.

This has happened to other lines, although very infrequently. The "standard" practice seems to be either cancel the cruise or schedule a shorter cruise with giving px an option to cancel; or take the altered cruise with a "make happy" refund.

Moving to a lower cabin does not auger well for a typical AZ experience.

We have no idea what a "typical AZ experience" is as this is the first time we booked with Azamara. My husband and I were loyal Oceania fans but after our last cruise with them (fall 2014), we decided to give Azamara a try. The downgrade in cabin, and the fact the refurbishment won't be completed until well into this cruise has us contemplating cancellation and starting over with a different cruise line for a winter get-away.

We booked with the original BOGOHO deal early in August last year, balance is not due to our TA until September, and this is the only recent deal that includes CC Suites.

We would like to know which block of accommodations are affected, maybe Bonnie could enlighten us.

• 2 weeks later...
When will all the new accommodations be completed?

Good question, we have just been informed that the work will continue 3-5 days into our cruise but it will be behind the scenes and it won't impact our cruise experience. By the way we are downgrading you from a suite to a veranda cabin as there are no other CC Suites available, impossible to say how many people are being impacted by this.

we are discovery plus members and we have been thrown out of our cabins!

Azamara need to get their act together. We have been offered 300 dollars compensation for the cabin debacle, nothing for gym and spa unavailability.

We are very close to ending our association with this dis functional outfit.

we are discovery plus members and we have been thrown out of our cabins!

Azamara need to get their act together. We have been offered 300 dollars compensation for the cabin debacle, nothing for gym and spa unavailability.

We are very close to ending our association with this dis functional outfit.

Well this is alarming! We weren't aware the gym and spa wouldn't be available during our cruise. Did your TA give you this information? Are the gym and spa unavailable for the entire 11 day cruise?

Well this is alarming! We weren't aware the gym and spa wouldn't be available during our cruise. Did your TA give you this information? Are the gym and spa unavailable for the entire 11 day cruise?

I have only heard that the spa and new spa suites MAY be a couple days late opening, e.g. Day 2 or 3 of the subsequent cruise. We are hopeful this is not the case.

It is extremely disappointing to watch Azamara not recognize the ill will they are creating by either not canceling the post dry dock cruise, or significantly shortening it. It is another case of focusing on very short-term dollars rather than long-term growth and good-will.

The lack of information on the Suites refurb for both ships is quite sad for such a company as Azamara. It is doing them no good at all. Emails to them asking for info remain unanswered.

Still time to cancel though....:(

I have only heard that the spa and new spa suites MAY be a couple days late opening, e.g. Day 2 or 3 of the subsequent cruise. We are hopeful this is not the case.

Bonnie, this is a quote from the email we received:

For the first 3 – 5 days, a couple of areas will not be ready:

-The Spa & Fitness Center – including our 2 new Spa suites.

-Some work will still take place in our suites.

This seems to state categorically that the facilities will not be available for up to 5 days of the cruise.

It is extremely disappointing to watch Azamara not recognize the ill will they are creating by either not canceling the post dry dock cruise, or significantly shortening it. It is another case of focusing on very short-term dollars rather than long-term growth and good-will.

As a business owner, I completely agree with you. Every happy customer may tell five people, every unhappy one will tell five hundred. Or, with the internet available, maybe 50,000 of their closest friends.

I'm trying to put myself firmly in the shoes of those on the first post dry-dock Quest cruise. I have to say I disagree with you. The old adage that you can't please everyone is very true. I can imagine the uproar here if the cruise was cancelled and for the sake of a few suites that won't be ready and the gym and spa being out of bounds for a few days. It seems that Azamara are trying to do right by those affected in offering an OBC for the inconvenience. I would much rather that than have my cruise cancelled. Just a different perspective.

Phil

I'm trying to put myself firmly in the shoes of those on the first post dry-dock Quest cruise. I have to say I disagree with you. The old adage that you can't please everyone is very true. I can imagine the uproar here if the cruise was cancelled and for the sake of a few suites that won't be ready and the gym and spa being out of bounds for a few days. It seems that Azamara are trying to do right by those affected in offering an OBC for the inconvenience. I would much rather that than have my cruise cancelled. Just a different perspective.

Phil

I agree with you Phil. I understand why some may be unhappy, but I'm confident that disruptions will not be significant - at least not enough to ruin your cruise. Of course, if the Spa is critical to you - then I can see why 3-5 days without the spa is a concern. For us ? it's a non-event. Different strokes for different folks. IMO, having the cruises proceed is a far better option than outright cancellation.

If you feel that what's being presented is not suitable for you, then why not cancel, and choose another sail date ? Again, I realize that's not an ideal situation for some - but it is something to consider. As I've said on here for years, if you are going to go into the cruise feeling very apprehensive - then you may not have an enjoyable cruise experience. With that said, Azamara has some of the best Officers and Crew at Sea.... so if anyone can make this situation as comfortable as possible - I'm confident that Journey's & Quest's Officers will rise to the occasion - as usual.

As for me ? I'd much rather be on a wonderful cruise ship, than a day at work. Life is too short to worry so much. I hope those who are on the fence, will have faith in Azamara. I know I do.

Edited by Host Andy