Just back from Journey

excitedofharpenden

Every time I come home thinking the next one can't get any better it does. Had a wonderful week on Journey with some really great friends and a surprise appearance by two of them. You know who you are. I'll get you back!

Overall the whole crew were excellent as always. Led by Captain Johannes with his little twin Cruise Director brother Eric and Ryzard as HD. The other officers, bar tenders, the bar servers, the management in the restaurants, the wait staff, the housekeeping. The lot. Journey might be still wearing her old clothes, but we had a fab time.

Just a shout out to Executive Chef Monica. She is reasonably new to the role after Frederic left, but has put her own personality to the food. It was excellent all over the ship. Not only that, but she is a delightful person too.

Looking forward to the next one.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Thanks for the update! Great to hear that everything continues to hum along. You are correct about Monica. She not only is a great chef, but a very delightful person, as well.

Yes, we were also on this surprising cruise ;)

It was fantastic.

I have to agree the work by Monica and her team was outstanding. We were fortunate to be able to enjoy her exceptional talents at the Best of the Best dinner where her feminine touch certainly added something even more when combined with the team's culinary skills.

White Nights was also superb the best one we have been at to date - Eric and Bruce Parker, what a combo!

As I was recently in a Royal Suite on Celebrity I plan to try and compare the two products from the point of view of being in a larger suite once I have ploughed through the work emails this weekend

We were also on this cruise. We enjoyed it immensely.

This was our second Azamara cruise although our RCI Diamond level made us Discover level.

The staff, service and food were all very good. If I was being pedantic, I would say the entertainment was not just as good as our previous cruise. I just did not think the variety was up to the previous standard. That said, the Azamazing evening was superb.

We had accepted a paid upgrade to Owners Suite (7114) which in the main was fantastic ( yes there is a 'but' coming. The whirlpool bath was very shabby).

However our butler Sooria and attendant Danny were fantastic.

Having expressed concerns about Istanbul previously, we wondered about extensively and always felt safe. The only problem was the cafe owner in Taksim Square who gave me (purposely I'm sure!) a forged 50 lira note in my change. It was spotted immediately at the airport!

No, there was another problem! The taxi driver back from Taksim Square tried to charge 50 lira for the 600m journey back to the ship. We refused to pay, he laughed and then asked for 10 lira. ( in fact he took the forged 50 lira note out of my my hand at first. I should just have let him take it!)

Phil:

I believe you met Janet and Bruce Huff, whi hail from Ottawa, Canada. We have sailed with them multiple times and have also done land tours ( e.g. tiger safaris in India ) . They are wonderful friends that we met while on an Azamara cruise. Maybe it's my age but I believe I have more good friends that I have met while on Azamara cruises than I have on land!

Re: Monica - I always knew when she was on board because the bacon ( the non-streaky kind ! ) was always cooked so perfectly. She shared her approach which involves a convection oven and parchment paper. It works like a charm but it's much easier to eat on the ship than cook at home.We'll be in Barcelona before our next cruise and she lists the Catalanas Tapa Bar as her favorite there.

Since we will be sharing a cruise soon I have a question...tried the "Search" version on CC...but you know how that works...sometimes you get 5,000 answers...none of which you are looking for...So...

Can you explain the "Best of the Best" Dinner? We have sailed on AZ a number of times but have not tried that...and I was wondering what that is...sounds like a very special dinner/wine pairing? Do you know the cost? Is it just offered once a cruise? How about on the T/A? Thanks for any help...and a belated Happy BD!! LuAnn

Since we will be sharing a cruise soon I have a question...tried the "Search" version on CC...but you know how that works...sometimes you get 5,000 answers...none of which you are looking for...So...

Can you explain the "Best of the Best" Dinner? We have sailed on AZ a number of times but have not tried that...and I was wondering what that is...sounds like a very special dinner/wine pairing? Do you know the cost? Is it just offered once a cruise? How about on the T/A? Thanks for any help...and a belated Happy BD!! LuAnn

Best of the Best is by invitation only and usually for passengers in the big, corner suites or those with many, many cruises. Just a superb dining experience.

Best of the Best is by invitation only and usually for passengers in the big, corner suites or those with many, many cruises. Just a superb dining experience.

last i heard only for the large suites. else there would be about another 10 ro 20 per cruise who should be there.. there is a small group of people who do not get hem but have more than 30 cruises and they do not get invited. it is way to much food but would be fin once a year.. people who want fun and food can do the wine dinners for $90 American. They ahve not changed in two years but the Dinner with the Captain does change menus with chefs or wines on board.

Phil:

I believe you met Janet and Bruce Huff, whi hail from Ottawa, Canada. We have sailed with them multiple times and have also done land tours ( e.g. tiger safaris in India ) . They are wonderful friends that we met while on an Azamara cruise. Maybe it's my age but I believe I have more good friends that I have met while on Azamara cruises than I have on land!

Re: Monica - I always knew when she was on board because the bacon ( the non-streaky kind ! ) was always cooked so perfectly. She shared her approach which involves a convection oven and parchment paper. It works like a charm but it's much easier to eat on the ship than cook at home.We'll be in Barcelona before our next cruise and she lists the Catalanas Tapa Bar as her favorite there.

Yes Bill. That was them! I recognised them and we have cruised together certainly a couple of times, most recently in February. Really nice couple. Yes, I too love the back bacon and now I know why!

Phil

last i heard only for the large suites.

Correct, it's by invitation only and they invite the 10 owners suites (front and aft). It's served in the library and hosted by the Captain, Staff Captain, Hotel Director and Chief Engineer. It's by far the best meal served on the ship. The Chef goes all out and presents the dishes personally. The sommelier serves a wine pairing.

F

Correct, it's by invitation only and they invite the 10 owners suites (front and aft). It's served in the library and hosted by the Captain, Staff Captain, Hotel Director and Chief Engineer. It's by far the best meal served on the ship. The Chef goes all out and presents the dishes personally. The sommelier serves a wine pairing.

F

Yes Monica did a fantastic job. The menu is changed each cruise to take account of back to back guests. The food was Michelin star quality, perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. Quantities were just right, everyone commented how they had cleared their plates each course but did not feel overfilled at the conclusion of the night.

Thank you all for your description of this very special, invitation only event. Since I am not in an "Owner's Suite" won't have the chance for an invite...but it does sound awesome! For those of you who have and/or will get that invite!!! enjoy!!! LuAnn

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your insights. I also enjoyed the very positive comments on Chef Monica. Hope to meet her someday.

I'm glad you had a great time (as usual) on Journey. Welcome Home, and Happy Belated Birthday !

F

I have seen the F&B manager greeting guests as i go out on the track. i have seen several facebook pictures from JR of the last dinner.. much lighter than others.. i have read menus and some are heavier than the wine dinners.. but no one has to eat it all.

Every time I come home thinking the next one can't get any better it does. Had a wonderful week on Journey with some really great friends and a surprise appearance by two of them. You know who you are. I'll get you back!

Overall the whole crew were excellent as always. Led by Captain Johannes with his little twin Cruise Director brother Eric and Ryzard as HD. The other officers, bar tenders, the bar servers, the management in the restaurants, the wait staff, the housekeeping. The lot. Journey might be still wearing her old clothes, but we had a fab time.

Just a shout out to Executive Chef Monica. She is reasonably new to the role after Frederic left, but has put her own personality to the food. It was excellent all over the ship. Not only that, but she is a delightful person too.

Phil

We boarded the Journey on August 6th, our first time on Azamara, but not our last. We were amazed at the care given by the Captain, his twin Eric and HD Ryzard, along with other staff.

We were aboard her when she was an "R" ship, and the interior is much the same, but the people make the cruise. We fell in love with Azamara!!

And, yes, the food was the best that we have tasted on a cruise ship, thanks to Monica, the Executive Chef.

Your comments are right on!!:)

Rick

Hope you will write a Silversea v Azamara comparison Lottie (please).

Lynne:)

Yes, would be really interested to read what to expect on our first Silversea in November. When we tried Regent earlier this year we thought it overall a better product but less fun than Azamara.

Yes, would be really interested to read what to expect on our first Silversea in November. When we tried Regent earlier this year we thought it overall a better product but less fun than Azamara.

The one Regent cruise i did several years ago they rolled up he sidewalks when hte shows were over. Food was excellent. love the port with the cheese at night.. loved my cabin hated the indoor smoking. do not remember pool or cabin. crew- who are they?

Hope you will write a Silversea v Azamara comparison Lottie (please).

Lynne:)

Lynne,

Saw your post and thought I might also answer iit if it is ok with you.

I have sailed the Silver Whisper, the Silver Shadow and the Silver Cloud.

I have said that I think that Azamara is Celebrity's answer to Silver Sea. I think they have done a very good job. The service is equal but I think the friendliness seems to be a little better. Russ and Phil just cut up and entertain all the time. I had more fun on Azamara. I thought the included wine selections were better on Azamara, but I have been on only one Azamara cruise Jan 2014.

On Silversea we made a mistake and ate in what we thought was the specialty restaurant, but it was just one meal being served. You are suppose to see what is being served and then decide if you want that or not. Wasn't that good. The food and food service was very good and about the same as Azamara. I will have to wait until my next Azamara in October to evaluate again, but will be paying attention.

I liked the Prime C and the Aquilina on Quest.

• 1 month later...

Phil

Just released, a video of Chef Monica. Hopefully you have a Dropbox account so you can download and view!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi92e9aukfe954o/azamara_monica_ol_h264.mp4?dl=0