Azamara vs Oceania

Winters Gate

We have done a few cruises with Oceania and really like it, but now we have found a cruise with Azamara which suits us well, both in terms of time and price.

What differences can one expect between the two?

/P

You may be interested in my post - Alas there was no meet and mingle - last added to on 5th August.

Personally, I am always up to new cruise lines as long as the itinerary is right. My last cruise on an Azamara ship was a few years ago and may not be of any real value today. At that time, I found the crew on Azamara very friendly and the food in the main dining room equal to Oceania's. But the 'buffet' on Oceania was of far superior quality, much more variety and higher quality. I have no memory of Azamara's specialty restaurants.

It was a Caribbean cruise with daily ports and several memorable excursions, a hike on St. Marten, a 'soft' jungle experience on St. Kitts and a jeep 'safari' on Virgin Gorda. If any of these and similar excursions are still offered, that would be a real bonus for me.

I have enjoyed both cruise lines and would not hesitate to book another. We are destination cruisers so as long as the itinerary suits us, but we do like the comfort and style of Azamara and Oceania. :):):)

many times...and think they are both great. I think that price/destination can be a driving factor...and TBH...we only do T/As...as the other prices...for us...are so expensive...we like to cruise 3 to 5 times a year...so price does play a part....as we do X as our "other" cruise line. LuAnn

We have done a few cruises with Oceania and really like it, but now we have found a cruise with Azamara which suits us well, both in terms of time and price.

What differences can one expect between the two?

/P

Weren't both of these cruise lines using old Renaissance Cruise ships? All those ships rode well in the water but were smaller ships according to today's standards. So it is just a matter of how they run them.

I have not been on Oceania, but I understand they do a good job.

Dr. Joe

After having sailed on Azamara many times I tried Oceania last year. There was nothing wrong with the cruise but it does not compare to the Azamara experience. I sailed the Regatta, same "R" ship as Azamara's. There was no enthusiasm from any of the crew. They did their jobs well without any heart or soul. There cruise director is rarely visible. They introduce the entertainment and then disappear. They are missing that special something that you only find on Azamara!!

There cruise director is rarely visible. They introduce the entertainment and then disappear.

Absolutely not my experience on two different Oceania ships and 2 months of cruising with them. It's wonderful that you have found a cruise line you really like, but it's not fair to generalize based on your one cruise. If I did that, I would say the exact same thing about my cruise with the Journey. I can't even remember if there was a cruise director on the Journey, but I remember other crew members.

I have to agree with shutterbug29. I enjoyed Oceania Marina a lot....it had wonderful food and great cabins but there was something missing. That's the heart and soul of Azamara, it's wonderful crew. They are practically invisible on Oceania. It's been said before but it does make a difference. Just my opinion.

I will sail Oceania again, but if there were two similar itineraries at the same price, I would go for Azamara every time.

Ask ten persons and you will get ten different answers.

We have done two cruises on the Journey and recently booked our third on the renovated Journey.

We love this small ship for special destinations, but would never do a TA on such a small ship.

We love the familiar atmosphere of the ship. After a few days you know so many crewmembers, officers, even the captain. Everybody is doing their best for the passengers.

Friends of us, who loved Azamara and who can compare Azamara and Oceania told me, that the rate Oceania above Azamara.

Food is better, you don´t have to pay for the specialty restaurants, but the rest is not included, like the drinks, the tips and more.

They were on Azamara Quest in Asia this year and told me, it was one of their worst cruises ever. Bad food, bad service and the best thing was the AmazingEvening in Saigon.

But they also told me, if we ever want to book Oceania, to choose for one of the bigger ships, like the Marina or Riviera. It must be a big difference between the small Renaissance Class ships and the new modern Oceania ships.

I´m really looking forward, to discover the renovated Journey in march 2016. And you can say what you want, a renovation is absolutely neccessary. A more modern look would be fine and it will not change the "soul" of the ship.

Ask ten persons and you will get ten different answers.

We have done two cruises on the Journey and recently booked our third on the renovated Journey.

We love this small ship for special destinations, but would never do a TA on such a small ship.

We love the familiar atmosphere of the ship. After a few days you know so many crewmembers, officers, even the captain. Everybody is doing their best for the passengers.

Friends of us, who loved Azamara and who can compare Azamara and Oceania told me, that the rate Oceania above Azamara.

Food is better, you don´t have to pay for the specialty restaurants, but the rest is not included, like the drinks, the tips and more.

They were on Azamara Quest in Asia this year and told me, it was one of their worst cruises ever. Bad food, bad service and the best thing was the AmazingEvening in Saigon.

But they also told me, if we ever want to book Oceania, to choose for one of the bigger ships, like the Marina or Riviera. It must be a big difference between the small Renaissance Class ships and the new modern Oceania ships.

I´m really looking forward, to discover the renovated Journey in march 2016. And you can say what you want, a renovation is absolutely neccessary. A more modern look would be fine and it will not change the "soul" of the ship.

i was on the above cruise.. there was nothing wrong with it at all. food was good over all. never ever had bad service anywhere that cruise. the MDR mains could of been better one lunch- fish over cooked but over all everything was prefect.

been on Marina and saw the CD several times at night dancing. but over all i never knew a crew member name-felt service was so/so and food over rated.. think the new decor on small ships-per pictures -nice.. but is the line better??

• 2 weeks later...
After having sailed on Azamara many times I tried Oceania last year. There was nothing wrong with the cruise but it does not compare to the Azamara experience. I sailed the Regatta, same "R" ship as Azamara's. There was no enthusiasm from any of the crew. They did their jobs well without any heart or soul. There cruise director is rarely visible. They introduce the entertainment and then disappear. They are missing that special something that you only find on Azamara!!

i did 12 Azamara cruises and the first 10 were great. At the last 2 (back to back) some crew members really were rude to say the least. Officers also less visible. The head office made me an offer which I accepted, but then they withdrawed, lied about it and got rude. So no more Azamara for me.

I did 6 Oceania cruises. The first three some years ago were so so. But the last three at the Riviera were fabulous. Crew definitely nicer than at the Azamara Journey and to be compared with the Az Quest. No silly boring Azamazing next to nothing evenings, pfffff. The food at Oceania is very much better than at Azamara. Especially if you don't like to eat chicken every day.....

Most imortant: Oceania did not betray me like Azamara did. I will miss Russ and Philip at the Quest, but CD Lesley Jon at the Riviera is great and friendly as well.

Though the Marina and Riviera are a little bigger than the R ships, I prefer them. The airco is always working, the toilets are not flooding and the enigine is fas less noisy. I can understand other people at dinner now and sleep at night.

I think sailing with Oceania I get value for money while since 2 years Azamara is much too expensive.

Most important however as Azamara HD Philip Herbert once said in an interview: The company should always be honest to its guests.

Unfortunately the Azamara head office must have missed this wise advise!

i did 12 Azamara cruises and the first 10 were great. At the last 2 (back to back) some crew members really were rude to say the least. Officers also less visible. The head office made me an offer which I accepted, but then they withdrawed, lied about it and got rude. So no more Azamara for me.

QUOTE]

May we ask what kind of offer was made? Very unusual for a loyal follower to be treated badly. I have found that when these types of things happen, it is usually some sort of mis-communication. Celebrity head office-ship communication has always been poor.

I have had personality conflicts with some ships personnel in the past, but I just go to the ones I get along with and leave the other alone. Everyone can have a bad day, even me. When I meet a ship's officer or CD that has poor communication skills, I just don't communicate. Sometimes it might be my poor communication skill.

In our opinion Oceania is far superior, in the Buffet Restaurant, than Azamara,

Oceania have fresh berries and Azamara, at least all the cruises we have done with them, have tinned berries.

Also if you sail on Marina or Riviera you have four speciality restaurants and you do not pay for these, Azamara charge for the two on board.

Oceania have fresh berries and Azamara, at least all the cruises we have done with them, have tinned berries.

Also if you sail on Marina or Riviera you have four speciality restaurants and you do not pay for these, Azamara charge for the two on board.

oh you pay in the price of cabin. berries not fresh or fresh.. if fresh someone up at 4 am at a market getting them. have to be in a port where there is market near by.

Berries...what could be more important?:rolleyes:

On Oceania you pay for wine, liquor, and gratuities--unless gratuities are included in a promotion along with Frank Del Rio's ubiquitous 2 for 1 fare scam. And, if Regent's specialty restaurants are any indication, reservations are hard to come by as everyone books as soon as reservations are available. After all, it's "free," so why not?

Keep in mind Marina and Riviera have 75% more passengers than R-ships, for those who like small ship cruising.

Berries...what could be more important?:rolleyes:

On Oceania you pay for wine, liquor, and gratuities--unless gratuities are included in a promotion along with Frank Del Rio's ubiquitous 2 for 1 fare scam. And, if Regent's specialty restaurants are any indication, reservations are hard to come by as everyone books as soon as reservations are available. After all, it's "free," so why not?

Keep in mind Marina and Riviera have 75% more passengers than R-ships, for those who like small ship cruising.

While the Marina and Riviera have more passengers, they are substantially more spacious. The industry standard to quantify how much passenger space a ship has is the ratio of max passengers to tonnage. AZ's 2 ships have a space ratio of 44 (30,277/684). The M & R have a ratio of 53 (66,084/1250)

- 20% more than the Journey or Quest.

With 4 specialty restaurants, if you are the least bit flexible, you can eat in one of them almost every night. I have done it on several cruises with O.

While the Marina and Riviera have more passengers, they are substantially more spacious. The industry standard to quantify how much passenger space a ship has is the ratio of max passengers to tonnage. AZ's 2 ships have a space ratio of 44 (30,277/684). The M & R have a ratio of 53 (66,084/1250)

With 4 specialty restaurants, if you are the least bit flexible, you can eat in one of them almost every night. I have done it on several cruises with O.

Is the food that bad in the MDR on Oceania? It seems that it is the norm for people to want to eat in the specialty restaurants every night! Or at least, get as many reservations as possible.

Edited by Christine Frances

Is the food that bad in the MDR on Oceania? It seems that it is the norm for people to want to eat in the specialty restaurants every night! Or at least, get as many reservations as possible.

No, the food is good. We live where good Asian and beef restaurants are few and far between. Dining in Red Ginger allows me to get my food "fix".

You completely missed the point. One of the big advantages of a small ship is having fewer passengers. Having 75% more reduces any sense of intimacy, in terms of getting to know other passengers and engaging with senior officers. I don't want to be on a near-luxury ship with 1199 other passengers. To me that's an oxymoron. Might as well be on HAL or Celebrity at much lower fares. If you don't mind, go for it. I'll pass.

And why would I go to a cruise line that includes less and charges the same or more, with deceptive 2 for 1 pricing? Does not compute for me.

Enjoy Oceania. There's a Cruise Critic forum for them.

You completely missed the point. One of the big advantages of a small ship is having fewer passengers. Having 75% more reduces any sense of intimacy, in terms of getting to know other passengers and engaging with senior officers. I don't want to be on a near-luxury ship with 1199 other passengers. To me that's an oxymoron. Might as well be on HAL or Celebrity at much lower fares. If you don't mind, go for it. I'll pass.

And why would I go to a cruise line that includes less and charges the same or more, with deceptive 2 for 1 pricing? Does not compute for me.

Enjoy Oceania. There's a Cruise Critic forum for them.

Once again you took the bait with your AZ can do no wrong and nothing is comparable or better. Congratulations. Objective comments or differing opinions are obviously verboten in your world. Time to go cherry pick another cc review to prove your point.

A small correction should be made: I got the offer at the ship, not from the head office. But afterwards the headoffice didn't like it and lied about it.

So, a bit difference, but with the same result.

Maybe meant as a bit joking, but I will give a serious answer.

It's hard to say in which Oceania restaurant dinner is best. For a part a matter of tast. But where ever you go it beats Azamara easily.

For me, the Asian restaurant is a pleasant extra: it's fabulous and ofcourse completely different.

Fresh berries as was mentioned on this forum: Indeed the berries were always fresh, but the fruit selection was better in every way. Much more variation, so no more the 3 different types of melon which you see on other cruise ships, not only Azamara. If I would sail Azamara in the future (but I will not) I think I would start hating chicken, the most served meat on board.

In fact comparing the quality of the food is useless: Oceania is just a level higher.

When it's about the prize: just add up all what you have to pay for a cruise, including gratuities, drinks and maybe specialty restaurants. Then make your choice not forgetting about the quality. Should not be too difficult.

A small correction should be made: I got the offer at the ship, not from the head office. But afterwards the headoffice didn't like it and lied about it.

So, a bit difference, but with the same result.

11 of your 25 posts have been voicing your displeasure with Azamara. Point taken and maybe you should move on and enjoy your future cruises on whichever line makes you happy:)

Just noticed your post above. Tks for your reply It really sounds like Az is not for you so have many happy days cruising on O:)!!

Edited by Christine Frances