Foodie Tours Portland, Bar Harbor--has anyone done this?

3rdGenCunarder

We've got port stops in Portland and Bar Harbor coming up. We've been to both several times and have done the "obvious" things,. We can always just wander on our own, but I thought I'd look for something different.

I'm curious about a company called Foodie Tours, which does culinary walking tours in several ports, including Portland and Bar Harbor. They get good marks on Trip Advisor, but I'm wondering if anyone on CC has experience with them.

If the similarities in the blurbs are anything to go by, I think they're also the tour provider for my ship when we're in Portland. But the ship's excursion is 1 1/2 hours. Booking with Foodie Tours would give us 2 1/2 - 3 hours for a small difference in price.

We'll be in Portland on a Sunday with another ship in port, so I'm thinking a guide to tastes would be better than wandering on our own.

We did the Portland Foodie tour earlier this summer. It was great!

We stopped at six spots. We had lobster mac and cheese, whoopie pies, mead, fried clams, beer, lobster roll, more beer, cheese and scones with blueberry jam. The tour was great too, it lasted about 2.5 hours and was an easy walk. We also visited a local fish market. The beer was served with in what I'd call "beer flight" glasses, smaller than normal. I'd recommend it if you have a foodie interest. They offer some other variations on the tour as well.

We did the Portland Foodie tour earlier this summer. It was great!

We stopped at six spots. We had lobster mac and cheese, whoopie pies, mead, fried clams, beer, lobster roll, more beer, cheese and scones with blueberry jam. The tour was great too, it lasted about 2.5 hours and was an easy walk. We also visited a local fish market. The beer was served with in what I'd call "beer flight" glasses, smaller than normal. I'd recommend it if you have a foodie interest. They offer some other variations on the tour as well.

Wow, even with small "tasting" portions, that sounds like a feast! Thanks for posting.

• 5 weeks later...

Did the Portland tour in 2012 and was wonderful. Did the Celebrity ship tour using the same company and was definitely an abbreviated version. Less walking, fewer stops, no beer tasting. Both were good, however if one had no problem walking distance and hills,, and had the extra time, I would advise the private company tour. There is a difference! Vicki

we also did the Foodie tour in Portland - it was great, Rick was our guide and gave us lots of info about the city and we enjoyed some great food and drink and plenty of ideas for a longer return visit. Not too much walking and quite a variety of stops, we visited a pub, chocolate shop, spice shop, vegetable/deli, seafood market and tasted food from some other stores - one place we tasted 3 or 4 different things. Just about the right amount of walking too.

Highly recommended tour.

The tour we did was originally fully booked and we were on a waiting list but kept checking back and 2 spots opened up the week before.

• 7 months later...

The Foodie Tour meeting spots are all within a half mile of the pier.

While you'll undoubtedly get some good food on these tours (Holey Donut and Two Fat Cats are great bakeries), one review I saw didn't lead me to believe that you would be actually getting the best Portland has to offer.

I would suggest a lunch at one of Harding Lee Smith's four "Room" (Grill Room, Oyster Room at Boone's, Front Room or Corner Room) restaurants, or Street & Co, Eventide, Fore Street (locally sourced and changing daily menu) or David's. Non-traditional meals at Nosh or Duckfat. And then the Foodie Tours "happy hour tour" to try Portland's craft beers and distilleries. Though that tour is only on Sat.

Or a lobster roll at Portland Lobster Co and then one of the dinners above.