Choice Air - A Joke and a Ripoff

Zouave

Called the Choice Air telephone line for a quote for airfare fo a cruise in 2016. Had airline fares up on computer before I made the call. After 15 minutes of wait time the agent quoted me a fare that was $700.00 above what I could book online with the airlines. (exact routing and class of service) Simply a rip-off. Avoid at all costs.

Called the Choice Air telephone line for a quote for airfare fo a cruise in 2016. Had airline fares up on computer before I made the call. After 15 minutes of wait time the agent quoted me a fare that was $700.00 above what I could book online with the airlines. (exact routing and class of service) Simply a rip-off. Avoid at all costs.

Frankly, we had the opposite experience. Choice Air was nearly $400 cheaper per person than what I was getting online. Odd. I'll never understand airline pricing - they change by the second.

Frankly, we had the opposite experience. Choice Air was nearly $400 cheaper per person than what I was getting online. Odd. I'll never understand airline pricing - they change by the second.

Hi Sarakenny,

That's very true. I usually purchase Cruise Air for relatives when they Cruise with us - and I've seen rates change in a matter of seconds. Happened on our last cruise last month - where the rate "changed" after initially being quoted on a major airline website. When I clicked to purchase the ticket, maybe 15-20 seconds later - the price went up $100.00 per person. Not the end of the world of course, but I wasn't thrilled either LOL.

As for that OP's post. I couldn't disagree more. While I do not have much experience with Choice Air, they are always very helpful and informative on the phone. I've also found their rates to be extremely competitive, if not better than what was quoted by the airlines.

I've been on here for over 20 years. While there will always be a negative comment about most everything..... when it comes to Choice Air, the overall responses from our members are overwhelmingly more positive than negative.

As with most everything (especially in travel), it absolutely pays to do your homework.... then make an educated decision.

I've been on here for over 20 years. While there will always be a negative comment about most everything..... when it comes to Choice Air, the overall responses from our members are overwhelmingly more positive than negative.

As with most everything (especially in travel), it absolutely pays to do your homework.... then make an educated decision.

Haven't spent much time on the Cruise Air board then.

Our experience with ChoicecAir has been very good. Their 1 way fares for repositioning cruises are the lowest we have found and far below what we can get by going direct to the airlines.

We have used them for R/T fares and the savings aren't as good but still generally $75-125pp cheaper.

I have used Choice Air when booking mult-city trips to Europe and found they had the best price.

However last year, I was booking a direct roundtrip flight to Miami, and used the airline websites. I searched flights using several search engines and the airline websites. I found out that the price of the flights changed regularly, day to day, even within hours the price would change.

I also found that the price for one person would be lower, but when I tried to buy for 2 people, the price would increase by over $100 each ! I finally ended up buying one ticket for one person, and then went back to try to buy another single ticket, and the price was up!! I tried different computers, and could still not get back to the first price. I ended up getting the second, single, ticket , from a code share partner. The second ticket was even cheaper than the ticket from the airline operating the flight.!!

Why am I sharing this? Just to show that the airline prices can be very flexible and subject to variables that may not be obvious. I did not think that trying to buy tickets for 2 people, instead of one, would change the price. Live and learn.

I have used Choice Air when booking mult-city trips to Europe and found they had the best price.

However last year, I was booking a direct roundtrip flight to Miami, and used the airline websites. I searched flights using several search engines and the airline websites. I found out that the price of the flights changed regularly, day to day, even within hours the price would change.

I also found that the price for one person would be lower, but when I tried to buy for 2 people, the price would increase by over $100 each ! I finally ended up buying one ticket for one person, and then went back to try to buy another single ticket, and the price was up!! I tried different computers, and could still not get back to the first price. I ended up getting the second, single, ticket , from a code share partner. The second ticket was even cheaper than the ticket from the airline operating the flight.!!

Why am I sharing this? Just to show that the airline prices can be very flexible and subject to variables that may not be obvious. I did not think that trying to buy tickets for 2 people, instead of one, would change the price. Live and learn.

It's not that you were buying tickets for 2 vs. 1. Ticket pricing is based on supply and demand thus they had one ticket left at the lower proce and once that was sold, the next ticket price went up since the supply was now down and the demand now up. You proved that by buying the last seat at the lower price and then when you tried again, the next single ticket was more expensive. There is a logic to the pricing and it takes a rocket scientist to get the best price since prices also go down if people cancel their tickets and thus more seats available, the price can go back down. Onto the subject of this thread, Choice Air vs buying direct. Almost always the lowest price ticket on the airline site will be non cancelable while I understand that if you buy from Choice Air and the cruise line makes a change, the ticket price is refundable. That is a big plus to buying from choice air as the airlines don't care why you can't take your flight. Very similar to people on cruise lines with included air taking money back from the cruise line to purchase a ticket themselves to save a few bucks while ignoring the fact that the cruisline ticket is fully refundable if something happens to the ship and it doesn't sail while their airline purchased ticket is non-refundable no matter what. Food for thought.

Haven't spent much time on the Cruise Air board then.

Yes I visit often, along with many other CC forums. Let's face it - some would rather spend their time complaining, then writing positive things. I wish it weren't that way, but it is what it is. Think whatever you wish - but I know what I've read, and I've read countless positive posts about Choice Air on many CC forums.

Edited by Host Andy

Happily we've had incredible success with Choice Air 3 times purchasing business class tickets for return trips from Europe to the States. Huge savings over the best fares that we could find through various travel search engines. But then when we shopped for a one-way return from Miami to San Francisco, Choice Air could not come close to the fare we got directly from an air line. Bottom line, air fare pricing is nuts, and it pays to shop around, considering Choice Air as one of your options.

I don't use choice air because they can't book me far enough ahead of time and let me know what my flights are and my seat numbers are.

I just book first class tickets direct with the airline and I know my travel time and the delays in-between flights long before departure.

Of course this cost more.

Choice Air sometimes will get a much less expensive flight but no guarantee of what the seats are etc and when I had checked, the flights were routed longer and more inconvenient. I think they do a good job if you don't mine putting up with the inconvenience. I think also it sometimes makes it hard to use FF miles.

Any comments appreciated.

Happily we've had incredible success with Choice Air 3 times purchasing business class tickets for return trips from Europe to the States. Huge savings over the best fares that we could find through various travel search engines. But then when we shopped for a one-way return from Miami to San Francisco, Choice Air could not come close to the fare we got directly from an air line. Bottom line, air fare pricing is nuts, and it pays to shop around, considering Choice Air as one of your options.

Oh, and I forgot a return business class flight on Singapore Air from Singapore to SFO. Booked through Choice Air and the savings were huge.

Choice Air has great pricing for one way's for TA;s and flights to Europe. Flying within North America not so much:(

Scapel - Choice Air is not the old cruise air where they assign you flights. You can definitely use their website using "quick flight search" to see what they have available. If you find something you like you can book directly on the website. If you call them they can look up a flight that you have found that may not be on their website and they will see what pricing they can offer.

Once you are booked, you get the airlines locator # and you can go directly to carriers website to book your seats. It is a really good option which we have used 4 times with great savings. You can change the dates to fly in early or leave later, Fly in or out of different cities etc Check it out:)

http://www.cruisingpower.com/choiceair/protected/home.do?brand=C

Edited to add- last year flew one way Victoria, BC to Edinburgh for $397 CND:)

Edited by Christine Frances

Yes I visit often, along with many other CC forums. Let's face it - some would rather spend their time complaining, then writing positive things. I wish it weren't that way, but it is what it is. Think whatever you wish - but I know what I've read, and I've read countless positive posts about Choice Air on many CC forums.

I agree completely.

If one researches, knowingly accept the limitations, then Choice Air can be a good fit for a consumers needs.

However, like travel insurance, if you just buy and expect anything and everything to be covered, then one might be disappointed.

Wonder if the OP was on a third party booking engine (Expedia, Orbitz, etc) and was really only seeing cached pricing and not real time pricing. I see this happen often with people actually trusting what they see and don't know if they push "purchase" it could be much different.

Wonder if the OP was on a third party booking engine (Expedia, Orbitz, etc) and was really only seeing cached pricing and not real time pricing. I see this happen often with people actually trusting what they see and don't know if they push "purchase" it could be much different.

Or if they had gotten to the "purchase" page before calling Cruise Air, which would have put the less expensive tickets in a cart and removed them from inventory (until purchased or the cart timeout).

Choice Air has great pricing for one way's for TA;s and flights to Europe. Flying within North America not so much:(

Scapel - Choice Air is not the old cruise air where they assign you flights. You can definitely use their website using "quick flight search" to see what they have available. If you find something you like you can book directly on the website. If you call them they can look up a flight that you have found that may not be on their website and they will see what pricing they can offer.

Once you are booked, you get the airlines locator # and you can go directly to carriers website to book your seats. It is a really good option which we have used 4 times with great savings. You can change the dates to fly in early or leave later, Fly in or out of different cities etc Check it out:)

Edited to add- last year flew one way Victoria, BC to Edinburgh for $397 CND:)

Thanks, I didn't know about this. Now are you booking directly with an airline or through a booking agency? Sometimes third parties are complicated to work with. She said, he said type of communication.

Thanks, I didn't know about this. Now are you booking directly with an airline or through a booking agency? Sometimes third parties are complicated to work with. She said, he said type of communication.

You're still booking thru a 3rd party. Therefore, you are Choice Air's customer, not the airlines.

You don't know the fare codes before booking.

You may or may not earn the miles if you are a member of an airlines frequent flier club.

You may or may not be rerouted on a different airline if the original flight schedule is interrupted.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck,,, it's still a consolidator ticket.

And THAT is OK,,, IF and only IF, you go in knowing this as an educated consumer.

You're still booking thru a 3rd party. Therefore, you are Choice Air's customer, not the airlines.

You don't know the fare codes before booking.

You may or may not earn the miles if you are a member of an airlines frequent flier club.

You may or may not be rerouted on a different airline if the original flight schedule is interrupted.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck,,, it's still a consolidator ticket.

And THAT is OK,,, IF and only IF, you go in knowing this as an educated consumer.

That statement is only usually the case. I bought a ticket from Charlotte to Venice through Choice Air and while I don't remember the exact fare code, I did check it on the airline's website after I got it and it was one of their non-refundable codes (but Choice Air would allow me to cancel for $175).

This example is like so many other blanket statements on Cruise Critic. There are many instances where the answer is not true in ALL cases.

Choice Air is not the old cruise air where they assign you flights. You can definitely use their website using "quick flight search" to see what they have available. If you find something you like you can book directly on the website. If you call them they can look up a flight that you have found that may not be on their website and they will see what pricing they can offer.

Hi,

I'm confused about what Choice Air is. I clicked on the link provided and it seemed to be meant for an agent.

If I book a cruise, can I go through Choice Air to book my airfare? i looked to the link to provide me some info, but as I said it won't let me in.

Thanks-chris

Hi,

I'm confused about what Choice Air is. I clicked on the link provided and it seemed to be meant for an agent.

If I book a cruise, can I go through Choice Air to book my airfare? i looked to the link to provide me some info, but as I said it won't let me in.

Thanks-chris

This is the link I have used:

http://www.cruisingpower.com/choiceair/protected/home.do

I have priced and purchased Choice Air in the past using that link.

Hi,

Thanks-chris

Hi Cbradley1209,

Yes, you can certainly use Choice Air. When you visit the Choice Air website, look for the tab that says "Quick Flight Search Only", and click on it. This is where you can browse airfares without making any commitment.

Hope this helps !

Hi,

Thanks-chris

To me the choice is if I book a cruise with a TA for a particular cruise, I have the choice of just paying for the cruise or taking the package which may include a night before etc and the flights. I usually just book the cruise, get my hotel reservation directly with the hotel and use cabs for transportation to and from the airports. I book my own flights directly with the airline arriving 2 days ahead of departure. If you have the package and something happens then the cruise line takes care of it. If the cruise line cancels a cruise two days before sailing and I have my flights and hotel arranged already then it is up to me to fix it. The cruise line is not responsible to refund me the cost of any flights. I do buy cancellation insurance for the flights also. The hotel I can usually cancel within 24 hrs without penalty sometimes 48 hours.

The cruise line is going to make flight arrangements that are economically less expensive then you just have to take what they give you.

We did have Celebrity cancel a Hawaii cruise 2 days before departure one year so we did a Hawaii land trip using the flights that had been already arranged.

I usually expect to pay more, but have been surprised sometimes that my way was less expensive for some things.

Hi,

Thanks-chris

Try going here: http://www.cruisingpower.com/choiceair/protected/home.do

I was interested in checking out Choice Air Flights so tried that link given by many people and completely agree with those who can't find Choice Air on that site. So, went to the Azamara site making sure the flag in the upper right was the US Flag as Choice Air is only for US Customers and under plan your cruise is a link to Choice Air. I'll also provide the direct link below: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan/air-transfers/choiceair Hope this helps.