Azamara vs Silverseas

scapel

Since we have a comparison between Oceania and Azamara would it be in order to ask for a comparison between Azamara and SilverSeas say the Silver Whisper and Silver Shadow vs Azamara Quest and Journey, which are all about the same size ships.

Any comments.

Silver Whisper and Silver Shadow only have 382 pax. Even their larger ships such as Silver Spirit only accommodate 540 pax so the sizes are quite different to the R class ships and therefore a comparison is much more difficult.

I have sailed on the Sprit. She is a great vessel. The cabins (regular veranda) were fantastic with separate bath and shower cubicle. There was a nice walk in wardrobe but there was very little passing space at the end of the bed.

Food was good. Overall a very good cruise.

However, there is still that something special on Azamara.

I would sail on either line in a heartbeat.

PS. I much preferred Silverseas to Seabourn but it's comparing shades of excellence.

Edited by Grandma Gilly

SILVER CLOUD entered service in 1994 as Silverseas first ship. She serves 296 guest with 222 crew and was last reburbished in 2013 after our cruise in 2012. She is 16,800 tons.

SILVER WHISPER is a cruise ship that entered service in 2000, and is operated by Silversea Cruises.[1] The passenger capacity is 382 passengers, and there are 295 crew members. Her sister ship is the SILVER SHADOW; both ships were built by the Mariotti Shipyard in Genoa, Italy. They both have a high space-to-passenger ratio—the ship's gross tonnage is 28,258

AZAMARA QUEST (R7) 710 passengers and 410 crew, Sister ships are Azamara Journey, MS Insignia, MS Regatta, Ocean Princess, Pacific Princess, MV Adonia, MS Nautica. Following the collapse of Renaissance Cruises in 2001 she was laid up for two years, until chartered to the Germany-based Delphin Seereisen as Delphin Renaissance. In 2006 she was sold to the Spain-based Pullmantur Cruises and renamed Blue Moon. She sailed for Pullmantur until 2007 when she was transferred to Azamara Cruises. Year Built: 2000; Last Refurbished: 2007; Gross Tonnage: 30,277 tons ...

AZAMARA JOURNEY (R6) GRT 30,277.. Passenger 694 and 390 crew built in 2000 Since July 2005, the ship was called the Blue Dream. From 2006, the ship was used by Pullmantur. Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., Since 2006, the parent company of Pullmantur, transferred the Blue Dream 15 December 2008 its new subsidiary Azamara Cruises, where it was renamed Azamara Journey and since then with her sister ship Azamara Quest, the former R Seven, is used worldwide for cruises. Azamara Cruises was now renamed Azamara Club Cruises.

Notice that the Quest & Journey are only 2000 GRT bigger than the Whisper /Shadow so essentially they are about the same size vessels. The passenger capacity is bigger for the Aazmara ships because they are bigger ships. I have sailed the Cloud, Whisper and Shadow

After being aboard the Quest, I felt that Azamara was Celebrity’s answer to Silverseas. The Silverseas was a little more reserved but Russ and Peter on the Quest took care of the reserve and broke everything down turning the Quest in to a good time ship. I remember commenting that a Carnival so Called Fun ship had nothing on the Quest.

I had a much better time on the Quest. The Cloud is smaller and more intimate and quieter.

All in all I will be sailing on the Journey next month so I obviously have selected Azamara as my go to ship for now.

A couple of years ago my partner & I did a 16 day Panama Canal cruise on the Azamara Journey and really enjoyed it. The smaller size ship & the open dining was great. The food was a step up from most cruise lines like Celebrity. The service all around was quite good and with out thousands of passengers there was plenty of space no wait for anything. The décor (that English country house look)was a bit outdated but still comfortable. WE had fun & the 16 days flew by and the luxury of choice was the highlight.

After 50+ cruises I was looking for something better, smaller and with a bit of quality. The country club casual dressing was another bonus. We do enough formal affairs here in NYC & being in the carib it was wonderful. We did bring a couple of sport jackets & lots of linen clothing that got us through quite nicely.

We haven't done Silver Sea yet but have been looking into it recently. From what I've read & friends that have sailed on them - I would think they are a step up from Azamara. Certainly the per diems are higher than Azamara.

I would think Azamara is comparable to Oceania somewhat. But I would not hesitate to sail with them again.

A couple of years ago my partner & I did a 16 day Panama Canal cruise on the Azamara Journey and really enjoyed it. The smaller size ship & the open dining was great. The food was a step up from most cruise lines like Celebrity. The service all around was quite good and with out thousands of passengers there was plenty of space no wait for anything. The décor (that English country house look)was a bit outdated but still comfortable. WE had fun & the 16 days flew by and the luxury of choice was the highlight.

After 50+ cruises I was looking for something better, smaller and with a bit of quality. The country club casual dressing was another bonus. We do enough formal affairs here in NYC & being in the carib it was wonderful. We did bring a couple of sport jackets & lots of linen clothing that got us through quite nicely.

We haven't done Silver Sea yet but have been looking into it recently. From what I've read & friends that have sailed on them - I would think they are a step up from Azamara. Certainly the per diems are higher than Azamara.

I would think Azamara is comparable to Oceania somewhat. But I would not hesitate to sail with them again.

We did the Panama Canal in 1995 and then again in 2006. I found some pictures that my Dad took before I was born of his trip through the canal as a Marine around 1930 I think.

LOCK.jpg

MIRAFLORES%20LOCKS.jpg

Gatun

GATUN%20LOCKS%201.jpg

PEDRO%20MIGUEL%20LOCKS.jpg

1920-30.jpg

I will have to try one more time when the new locks are open and running. One of he wonders of the Modern world- I think.

Wonderful pictures! My dad was stationed in Panama as a radio technician during WWII when he was 18-19 years old. He was good with electronics and became an electrical engineer after the war, so the Army put him to work repairing and servicing radios and other communication equipment. He naturally wanted to do the Panama Canal transit years later... my mom hates to fly, so it was one of the first of four cruises he took me, my husband and my daughter on-- HAL Maasdam about 20 years ago. We loved it and being with him! He's sadly gone now and I miss him every day, but he got us hooked on cruising! He also took us on Crystal, Silversea and RCL.

One of the reasons I had wanted to do the Panama Canal cruise was because my Great Aunt & Uncle lived in the Canal Zone when it was being built(he was an engineer on the project) and were part of the opening ceremonies! My Dad sailed thru during WW2 & later w/ my Mom on the old Royal Princess. My first time was on QE2 as part of the world cruise NYC - LA. The QE 2 passage was 13 days and a very different experience from Azamara(not better just different - I'd do either one again- if possible - in a heart beat). Our Azamara Journey transit was 16 days San Diego - Miami. Thankfully I've done the transit in January & February - I cannot not imagine the heat down there any other time of year.

I too am looking to do the transit again when the locks are finished being expanded. I loved the experience and always suggest a full transit.

Thanks again!

We did the Panama Canal in 1995 and then again in 2006. I found some pictures that my Dad took before I was born of his trip through the canal as a Marine around 1930 I think.

LOCK.jpg

MIRAFLORES%20LOCKS.jpg

Gatun

GATUN%20LOCKS%201.jpg

PEDRO%20MIGUEL%20LOCKS.jpg

1920-30.jpg

I will have to try one more time when the new locks are open and running. One of he wonders of the Modern world- I think.

The problem with comparing Azamara (or Oceania) to Silversea (or Seabourn) is that you are not really comparing similar products. To approach the kind of space you get on SS or SB in your suites you have to book a sky suite on Azamara (or penthouse on O.) The regular cabins are far smaller (too small for me.) So by the time i book a suite I am paying as much on Azamara or Oceania as I am on Silversea or Seabourn.

The problem with comparing Azamara (or Oceania) to Silversea (or Seabourn) is that you are not really comparing similar products. To approach the kind of space you get on SS or SB in your suites you have to book a sky suite on Azamara (or penthouse on O.) The regular cabins are far smaller (too small for me.) So by the time i book a suite I am paying as much on Azamara or Oceania as I am on Silversea or Seabourn.

You might have a point. Last Azamara Cruise I originally had cabin 7080 and it was really quite small, particularly the bathroom. I have had a smaller cabins on a ship, but that one I jumped ship. On the Azamara I moved into a suite and it was very comfortable.

Edited by scapel

There are no "sky suites" on Azamara. You need a Club Continent Suite for added space and these are still much less per day than anything on Regent, which I suspect is comparable to Seabourn or Silversea in price. And I hope the latter two give a better experience than Regent.

You might have a point. Last Azamara Cruise I originally had cabin 7080 and it was really quite small, particularly the bathroom. I have had a smaller cabins on a ship, but that one I jumped ship. On the Azamara I moved into a suite and it was very comfortable.

A couple of thoughts that have helped me in choosing a cruise / holiday at sea.

1. always pick the best line possible...for example...better to have an outside cabin on Silversea than a suite on HAL .

2. Always pick a midship cabin all around...I'm a pretty good sailor but I've also seen furniture(and bodies) flying across a suite/rooms & wishing for a wall to hold onto. Years ago the ships were more smaller( more akin to Azamara..even QE2 was considered large at

something like 67,000 tons) but also were built to handle the oceans as opposed to todays "cruise" ships.

3. Adjust to the itinerary...several years ago to try out QM2 we did a 13 day carib cruise out of NYC(my home port). We picked one of the in hull balcony cabins because we usually have a balcony, it was midships & we don't like being in the sun all the time....even in the couple of days it was cold we were able to sit outside on the balcony because it was sheltered.

4. Never drink cheap booze!

There are no "sky suites" on Azamara. You need a Club Continent Suite for added space and these are still much less per day than anything on Regent, which I suspect is comparable to Seabourn or Silversea in price. And I hope the latter two give a better experience than Regent.

My apologies, I did mean a club continent suite.

But you are wrong about Regent being equal in cost to Seabourn or Silversea. Regent is more expensive because they make you pay for excursions upfront, which they call "included" whether you want to take them or not.

My apologies, I did mean a club continent suite.

But you are wrong about Regent being equal in cost to Seabourn or Silversea. Regent is more expensive because they make you pay for excursions upfront, which they call "included" whether you want to take them or not.

Worse. They call them "Free Unlimited Shore Excursions":rolleyes:

I wonder how many people fall for that.

Free unlimited excursions EXCEPT for the good ones for which they charge extra. Total ripoff. Beware though that Silversea is doing the same things on certain voyages although I do think on SS you can opt out whereas on Regent you cannot.