Cruise critic people I have some questions

karyabc

Hi. I have some questions and was wondering if some of you can help with any of them.

I'm turning 30 in november 6 and I want to take a cruise for it, now it's kinda last minute and since I'm in NYC, I'm looking around NCL breakaway, they have one leaving nov 5 from NY going to florida/bahamas for 7 days.

First question: is it nassau port/Bahamas so bad? I was reading a post yesterday and many were saying how bad is it and people should feel lucky if the cruise detour or something.:o

There's a cruise that leaves later in november but it's for 10 days easter caribbean; san juan, st thomas, tortola and philisburg. Do you recommend this one better?

Drinking package: I really dont drink mostly, maybe 3 times a year , so I would have in cruise like maybe 1 pina colada and 1 margarita a day, would you think it would be worth it getting it? And the other thing the person coming with me does drink, can he buy it and not me?

Balcony vs inside, if I take the inside room it would be aprox $1638 for the 2 of us with the gratuities I believe, balcony would be 2238 with taxes and everything. Is it worth it?

Cruise is less than 90 days away, can I get tthe stateroom and then upgrade the day of the cruise?

Assuming I get the insise room $1638, I know there's no way to exactly get a number but would it seems crazy or too cheap to think that with $2250-2500 we can cover everything?

When I book the reservation at ncl website it ask to check if there's an special ocasion, anniversary or birthday, I'm getting something for my bday?:hearteyes:

If I get a travel agent would or could I get anything better that what I see currently at ncl website?

Hahaa I thinks that's it for now.

Txs, Kary.

Hi. I have some questions and was wondering if some of you can help with any of them.

I'm turning 30 in november 6 and I want to take a cruise for it, now it's kinda last minute and since I'm in NYC, I'm looking around NCL breakaway, they have one leaving nov 5 from NY going to florida/bahamas for 7 days.

First question: is it nassau port/Bahamas so bad? I was reading a post yesterday and many were saying how bad is it and people should feel lucky if the cruise detour or something.:o

There's a cruise that leaves later in november but it's for 10 days easter caribbean; san juan, st thomas, tortola and philisburg. Do you recommend this one better?

Drinking package: I really dont drink mostly, maybe 3 times a year , so I would have in cruise like maybe 1 pina colada and 1 margarita a day, would you think it would be worth it getting it? And the other thing the person coming with me does drink, can he buy it and not me?

Balcony vs inside, if I take the inside room it would be aprox $1638 for the 2 of us with the gratuities I believe, balcony would be 2238 with taxes and everything. Is it worth it?

Cruise is less than 90 days away, can I get tthe stateroom and then upgrade the day of the cruise?

Assuming I get the insise room $1638, I know there's no way to exactly get a number but would it seems crazy or too cheap to think that with $2250-2500 we can cover everything?

When I book the reservation at ncl website it ask to check if there's an special ocasion, anniversary or birthday, I'm getting something for my bday?:hearteyes:

If I get a travel agent would or could I get anything better that what I see currently at ncl website?

Txs, Kary.

1: for many, Nassau is overrated. It's just so...touristy...the only time I have been is on 25 December. Obviously the place was nearly empty as everything was closed for the most part and the entire main drag was being prepped for Junkaroo. If ports are your main criteria, you can do better

2: the break even point tends to be like 6-8 drinks per day. Most cruise lines require everyone in the cabin to purchase a package if one does. You could see about getting a lower version for yourself( say, soda and non alcoholic drinks) and ask if he could get an alcohol package if that makes more sense financially based on his drinking habits

3: I am a die hard balcony or I don't sail person. There are thirty arguments for and against spending more for anything bigger than the cheapest inside. We prefer the natural light, the private fresh air escape and many other aspects. Be advised that in inside will be half the size of a standard cheap hotel, including the bathroom and no window. There are no Day of upgrades. If the trip is past final payment date, then you need to book and pay for what you want. Any upsells will be at going rate with no discount

4: cruises are all in and start at $100 per person per day for everything. Break it down by that to get a better feel for the worth/value. You are getting 3 plus meals a day, twice daily housekeeping and entertainment for that price.

5: EVERY One is celebrating something. Most you might get is a candle in your desert and a few off key renditions of 'happy birthday' anything yo want acknowledged you pay for.

6: totally between you, the TA and your skills. Most book via one to get on board credit or gratuity payments covered. But we have managed to get all that without using a TA most of the time. Any extra perks come out of the TA commission

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Bahamas seems to be on everyone's first time cruise list and I agree with spook that its overrated. While there some interesting things to see/do, its just so touristy

Of the two choices, this would be my preferred itinerary

Both of you will have to purchase the drink package and based on the amount you might imbibe, it wouldn't make sense especially since it will add another $400 to the bottom line of the cruise.

How about Oceanview? If you can afford the extra $600, I would go for the balcony but Oceanview can be a happy median as long as the price makes sense. Just confirm the gratuities

Get the stateroom you want now - never count on an upgrade

If $1638 is the total bottom line, than $2500 to cover everything is possible. You have to do your due diligence to make sure that you understand about gratuities and other on board costs as well as what you can expect to pay in port for excursions, souveniers, etc. Nothing wrong with being frugal.

There will hundreds of people celebrating something. Your birthday may be acknowledged and you may get a special dessert at dinner but that's about it

Yes - OBC, room upgrade, etc. Again, you have to do your research. Keep in mind that if there are any issues, changes, questions, etc you will have to go thru your TA

Txs, Kary.

My replies in red

The Bahamas is not the best port in the Caribbean but for a first timer it is still worth seeing.

When we started cruising we booked inside guarantee all the time. Got bumped up to at least an outside on all but one occasion. Inside was on Rome to Copenhagen so we were busy most days in port so the inside cabin was not a big deal. Just had to go out to see anything.

That being said She Who Must Be Obeyed mostly makes me go for a balcony now.

Out of NYC you spend a lot of time at sea so I would lean towards a 10 day cruise.

To handle your budget I would watch the costs on excursions. You can run up a big tab on these. Find your roll call for the ship you book and by doing that and searching cruise critic you can get loads of info on what to do and see. We normally do not book ship excursions unless there is a good chance they could be late getting back to the ship. Did the Amalfi Coast through the ship and it was late returning but the ship waited for their tours.

Have fun and welcome to the addiction

There is no port that everyone likes or dislikes, so it depends on what you want out of a port. All cruise ports are "touristy" by nature, but Nassau is particularly touristy. If you are looking for a port that will provide an authentic cultural experience, you will be disappointed in Nassau. If you just want to have a relaxing beach day or go to the water park, you'll probably like it just fine.

Hard to say without knowing what other stops are on the first cruise, but Eastern Caribbean is one of the more popular/desirable itineraries compared to Bahamas or Mexico cruises. I'd check out the board for each port on Cruise Critic and see what appeals to you most.

The drink package would definitely not be worth it; you won't get your money's worth from two drinks a day. I would just get your drinks "a la carte".

I am an inside cabin lover myself, but it depends. If the savings are very appealing to you and you don't see the importance in having natural light in your cabin (for example, if you like it to be as dark as possible when you sleep), an inside cabin is for you. If you really value having natural light and your own private space to relax and watch the ocean, it might be worth it to get the balcony, especially if it's a special occasion. Just ask yourself "Will I get $800 worth of value out of a balcony?" The answer may well be yes.

This is a hard question to answer because there are a lot of variables. Here is a link to my budget for my upcoming cruise, if you have similar expenses you might be able to compare and see what you might need beyond the base cruise cost. $2250 seems a bit low to me.

Nothing big, maybe a cupcake at dinner on the first night.

Always use incognito mode when browsing cruises (or any travel) since the price may go up if you allow cookies. But Cruisecritic actually has a great cruise search tool that will allow you to find the best offer on a cabin. I know some people swear by travel agents, but I don't know personally know anyone in the younger crowd who doesn't arrange all of their vacation details by themselves.

Txs, Kary.

1: for many, Nassau is overrated. It's just so...touristy...the only time I have been is on 25 December. Obviously the place was nearly empty as everything was closed for the most part and the entire main drag was being prepped for Junkaroo. If ports are your main criteria, you can do better

2: the break even point tends to be like 6-8 drinks per day. Most cruise lines require everyone in the cabin to purchase a package if one does. You could see about getting a lower version for yourself( say, soda and non alcoholic drinks) and ask if he could get an alcohol package if that makes more sense financially based on his drinking habits

3: I am a die hard balcony or I don't sail person. There are thirty arguments for and against spending more for anything bigger than the cheapest inside. We prefer the natural light, the private fresh air escape and many other aspects. Be advised that in inside will be half the size of a standard cheap hotel, including the bathroom and no window. There are no Day of upgrades. If the trip is past final payment date, then you need to book and pay for what you want. Any upsells will be at going rate with no discount

4: cruises are all in and start at $100 per person per day for everything. Break it down by that to get a better feel for the worth/value. You are getting 3 plus meals a day, twice daily housekeeping and entertainment for that price.

5: EVERY One is celebrating something. Most you might get is a candle in your desert and a few off key renditions of 'happy birthday' anything yo want acknowledged you pay for.

6: totally between you, the TA and your skills. Most book via one to get on board credit or gratuity payments covered. But we have managed to get all that without using a TA most of the time. Any extra perks come out of the TA commission

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, txs for replying.

The drinking for what you said I don't really think it's worth to get it, I dont even drink soda or juice anymore

I get what you say about bahamas, I was just worried that I dont know maybe the beach wasn't nice or dirty or something terrible awful with the port , if it's touristic ok thats not a deal braker for me, I grew up in a caribbean island, I think maybe I won't find that bad.

Txs for 100 per day, sounds reasonable advise.

The website when asks for special ocassion it actually says to check for bithday cake, I was wondering if I would have to pay for it or why they ask.

The Bahamas is not the best port in the Caribbean but for a first timer it is still worth seeing.

When we started cruising we booked inside guarantee all the time. Got bumped up to at least an outside on all but one occasion. Inside was on Rome to Copenhagen so we were busy most days in port so the inside cabin was not a big deal. Just had to go out to see anything.

That being said She Who Must Be Obeyed mostly makes me go for a balcony now.

Out of NYC you spend a lot of time at sea so I would lean towards a 10 day cruise.

To handle your budget I would watch the costs on excursions. You can run up a big tab on these. Find your roll call for the ship you book and by doing that and searching cruise critic you can get loads of info on what to do and see. We normally do not book ship excursions unless there is a good chance they could be late getting back to the ship. Did the Amalfi Coast through the ship and it was late returning but the ship waited for their tours.

Have fun and welcome to the addiction

Thank you hahahaah :D loved the welcome to addiction part. Im am independent contractor and basically can take time off anytime I want, cruising sounds awesome cause Im so bad at planning that it takes a lot of stress off organizing a whole vacation.

Im like 50/50 with the whole inside-balcony thing, since its all last minute Im just going with my father so I probably going to go for the inside, cant say I wont like it, if I dont try it.

Im going to check the 10 days cruise, what I dont like its that basically at the end of nov, and I like the idea of spend the bday day itself already on the cruise.

Tx u!

There is no port that everyone likes or dislikes, so it depends on what you want out of a port. All cruise ports are "touristy" by nature, but Nassau is particularly touristy. If you are looking for a port that will provide an authentic cultural experience, you will be disappointed in Nassau. If you just want to have a relaxing beach day or go to the water park, you'll probably like it just fine.

Hard to say without knowing what other stops are on the first cruise, but Eastern Caribbean is one of the more popular/desirable itineraries compared to Bahamas or Mexico cruises. I'd check out the board for each port on Cruise Critic and see what appeals to you most.

The drink package would definitely not be worth it; you won't get your money's worth from two drinks a day. I would just get your drinks "a la carte".

I am an inside cabin lover myself, but it depends. If the savings are very appealing to you and you don't see the importance in having natural light in your cabin (for example, if you like it to be as dark as possible when you sleep), an inside cabin is for you. If you really value having natural light and your own private space to relax and watch the ocean, it might be worth it to get the balcony, especially if it's a special occasion. Just ask yourself "Will I get $800 worth of value out of a balcony?" The answer may well be yes.

This is a hard question to answer because there are a lot of variables. Here is a link to my budget for my upcoming cruise, if you have similar expenses you might be able to compare and see what you might need beyond the base cruise cost. $2250 seems a bit low to me.

Nothing big, maybe a cupcake at dinner on the first night.

Always use incognito mode when browsing cruises (or any travel) since the price may go up if you allow cookies. But Cruisecritic actually has a great cruise search tool that will allow you to find the best offer on a cabin. I know some people swear by travel agents, but I don't know personally know anyone in the younger crowd who doesn't arrange all of their vacation details by themselves.

Txs, Kary.

Hi, havent check the cruise search option fere, will give a look

And yes beach, relax, water park sounds good enough for me.

You are right, didnt mention the other stops, the stops it says: port canaveral orland and beaches, then great stirrup cay-bahamas and last nassau bahamas.

Txs. Won't def get the drinking package, I wont really use it.

Oh and awesome for the link;)

My replies in red

The price between ocean view and balcony is not that much at all, that's why I was between inside and balcony option

NCL have a sale until tomorrow, going to just book and pay for the cruise. Was thinking to wait if they post any labor day deals but I wont take the chance.

Txs!

The Eastern Caribbean itinerary sounds way more appealing to me, personally. I am not that interested in going on a cruise just to hang around Florida most of the time, I'd rather go to different countries. So I would take the second option with St. Thomas/San Juan/Tortola/Phillipsburg :D

Just my opinion - if you can manage the extra days go for the longer itinerary. The Bahamas isn't the Caribbean.

Ditto on the balcony. If you think you can swing the cost delta, go for it (but it will be hard not to have a balcony afterward...).

Hi, thanks for all the advise.

I would like to share that using cruise critic search tool, I found a 7 days cruise leaving from port liberty NJ/Royal caribean/ Anthem of the seas on nov 4.

I end up saving total of $130.00+ , paid 1508.00 with taxes and gratuities and NCL was 1638.00.

I read anthem is better for cold weather.

And yup I guess I may have the first cruise syndrome, cause bahamas it is. #sorry

I'll do the balcony and more fancy destinations next year.

Bahamas is NOT in the Caribbean, despite it being "lumped in" as a "Caribbean port. Bahamas and Bermuda are in the Atlantic. Just so you know.

You can get ice water ANYWHERE on the ship. Ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, milk and juice during breakfast is included in your fare.

If money is an issue, take the inside cabin. You will be 'out and about' on the ship most of the time...you get the same stuff/amenities as a balcony cabin. Getting a better cabin on the day of the cruise is NOT going to happen...ships sail full every sailing!

Bahamas is NOT in the Caribbean, despite it being "lumped in" as a "Caribbean port. Bahamas and Bermuda are in the Atlantic. Just so you know.

You can get ice water ANYWHERE on the ship. Ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot), lemonade, milk and juice during breakfast is included in your fare.

If money is an issue, take the inside cabin. You will be 'out and about' on the ship most of the time...you get the same stuff/amenities as a balcony cabin. Getting a better cabin on the day of the cruise is NOT going to happen...ships sail full every sailing!

Hi, txs for the info, what I ended up doing was I ditch the breakaway and book and paid the Anthem fo the seas leaving from jersey on nov 4, inside stateroom and with taxes, gratuities it came down to over 130.00 less than NCL.

I'll do the balcony next year.:)

Just a FYI, that is a huge vacation week for NJ schools. There will be about 1500 kids onboard, making it feel more crowded. I'd go with the longer itinerary, there should be very few children (I have 5, o it's not like I don't like them).

Just saw your update, there will be a similar amount of kids on the Anthem.

Just a FYI, that is a huge vacation week for NJ schools. There will be about 1500 kids onboard, making it feel more crowded. I'd go with the longer itinerary, there should be very few children (I have 5, o it's not like I don't like them).

Just saw your update, there will be a similar amount of kids on the Anthem.

Oh:') wow really, had no idea. Whats so big about that week, out of all the weeks oh well.

When I talked to TA, she said they were only 26 insides room left.

Txs anyway.

Oh:') wow really, had no idea. Whats so big about that week, out of all the weeks oh well.

When I talked to TA, she said they were only 26 insides room left.

Txs anyway.

NJ schools are closed Thursday and Friday for the NJ Teachers Convention, and many closed the Tuesday for Election Day, and some districts all week. Flights to Orlando are outrageous from the NYC airports for this reason, so many have discovered cruising from home. It never bothered me (I was with my kids), but many passengers seemed perplexed about the amount of kids, not expecting them.

Your last question about using a travel agent vs. booking through the company itself, if you book through an agent, if you have an issue or a request the cruise line will not help you directly, your agent must handle it. Not that it's a problem, just something to be aware of.

Have a wonderful time! Welcome to the world!

Your last question about using a travel agent vs. booking through the company itself, if you book through an agent, if you have an issue or a request the cruise line will not help you directly, your agent must handle it. Not that it's a problem, just something to be aware of.

Have a wonderful time! Welcome to the world!

Hi! I actually did talk to an agent, she send me a quote but honestly the price she gave me was exactly the same as royal website, so I just did everything by myself, I like the idea of having control:cool: and so far RCI customer service has been wonderful, no complains.

Thank you for the good wishes, already start the countdown , I'm very excited!