Rum Runners..Carry on or Check baggage?

Nutinsider

Hey guys, I am about to embark on my second cruise. It leaves saturday out of port canaveral, carnival dream...anyways, on my first cruise I filled up wine bottles with whiskey and placed it in my check luggage bag. Worked perfectly.

This time I plan on doing the same, however I also plan on bring rum runners (collapsable flasks) because the cruise is almost twice as long as the previous (so i will need more alcohol and I think it's absurd to pay 300+% mark up)

I know this topic has been brought up on this board, but what hasnt been brought up is a definitive answer of rum runners in check bag, or carry on? (x ray)

Another question, would I be more successful filling my rum runners with whiskey or should I do vodka since it is clear and might not show up on xray?

thanks guys.

Craig

Checked. Put it in an out of the way place like near the wheels of your suit case. Just know that it's not a guarantee. You might get caught and you might not.

I've done it several times and haven't been caught. I'm always very careful to fill it to the tippy top and avoid any air bubbles in the flask.

All that I can do is pass on my experience on Princess, Celebrity and HAL and that is that in checked luggage I have yet to have a problem. I would be concerned with them in carry-on luggage but others report that they have not had an issue.

All that I can do is pass on my experience on Princess, Celebrity and HAL and that is that in checked luggage I have yet to have a problem. I would be concerned with them in carry-on luggage but others report that they have not had an issue.

guys, thanks for the response and time, i appreciate it.

after analysis it would be wise to hide the flasks in all suit cases as a hedge. (all flasks in one case seems dumb) i am going with 4 people, one flask per person...i am probably going to store it in the cargo pocket of some folded up khakis.

thanks!

I use the small sized Rum Runners (8 ounces) with no problems. I have them in my checked baggage when flying and in both my carry on and checked baggage on cruises.

I use them also to carry drinking water when off the ship on tours or just walking around.

I've never had a RumRunner 'caught' by an inspection. Many trips!

The cruise lines want you to be afraid to use them.

However, I spend much more time in hotels than I do on cruise ships and the RR's save me a fortune as I can avoid the dreaded mini-bar rip-off pricing.

I have several of the 8oz RR's. When full of good scotch, they fit comfortably in my shoes that I have in my checked luggage. Never had a problem. As an aside, my b.i.l. ran out of vodka while on a cruise, took a RR ashore and filled it, put in pocket and walked aboard, no metal in RR, reckon it shows no image on xray. Bill

I've never tried RR's but plan on it on our next cruise, I was planning on having my husband put them in the pockets of his cargo shorts.... anyone have experience with that? I don't remember ever being patted down when boarding.

It's more than a 50/50 chance. Between friends and us, we successfully brought rum runners onboard 30 times without getting caught.

This just means you are above average in not getting caught. :)

Your chance of getting caught on each cruise you take is still 50/50.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived