First Time Cruiser here.....Help?!

mumysdaword

Ok I don't know what I was thinking for not hiring an agent to help me! LOL but I just booked our first cruise out of Galveston Liberty of the seas. I am from Canada and already found my plane tickets but not sure now on how to get to the port from the airport or the hotel. Also, any hotel recommendations that has shuttle? We are on a budget and trying to save some money so I am doing this myself.

Also, any tips for first time cruiser like me? Is it a bad idea for me take my 3 year old to a cruise?

I am not familiar with Galveston area but if you will click on the "Gulf Coast Departures" link you should find an answer to any question you may have about the area, hotels and departure.

The ship will have a great kids club that will welcome your three year old.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

Gulf Coast Departures is under North American Homeports. You might also join the ROLL CALL for your cruise and see what other CC members sailing with you have planned. To find your ROLL CALL, go back to the main boards page, scroll down to ROLL CALLS, click on Royal Caribbean, then your ship, and look for a thread with the dates for your sailing. EM

Ok I don't know what I was thinking for not hiring an agent to help me! LOL but I just booked our first cruise out of Galveston Liberty of the seas. I am from Canada and already found my plane tickets but not sure now on how to get to the port from the airport or the hotel. Also, any hotel recommendations that has shuttle? We are on a budget and trying to save some money so I am doing this myself.

Also, any tips for first time cruiser like me? Is it a bad idea for me take my 3 year old to a cruise?

I would try to fly to Hobby (HOU) if that's still possible. Much closer to the port than Bush (IAH).

As mentioned above, the departure forum is very helpful for hotel and transfer info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

... We are on a budget and trying to save some money so I am doing this myself.

Hi Mumysdaword,

Working with a travel agent doesn't cost you anything. The agent works on a commission from the cruise line.

A good travel agent will save you money on what the cruise line is charging and maybe get you some on board credit. Ask your friends who they've used or look around online for one that specializes in cruises.

The Liberty of the Seas is a beautiful ship you will have a terrific time.

Jonathan

Here you can see all the current hotels in Galveston that offer a port shuttle:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/HotelsList-Galveston-Hotels-With-Shuttle-zfp366971.html

Here are 6 easy transportation options to get you from George Bush International Airport to Galveston:

http://www.galvestoncruisetips.com/how-to-get-to-the-galveston-port-without-a-car/

Even though you are booking all this yourself, you can still purchase the transfer from Galveston back to the airport from RCCL if you want, so I would check out the price of that option and then either book round trip with whoever you are using to get to Galveston or book with RCCL for the airport return.

EASY!

3-year-old: A good rule of thumb is take a child only if potty trained. Children pay the same as adults (3rd person gets reduced rage, but no special discount for kids) . You are not restricted to the kid's menu in the dining room -- Kids can order anything from the adult menu, and adults can order anything from the kid's menu (the banana splits are pretty good). Having said that, you would probably have a better cruise without the 3-year-old. She won't remember anything, and your activities will likely be more restricted because of her. You can pay extra for ship's babysitting after hours (at night) if you want to stay up late for things like the adult comedian or live music. Your daughter would be in the Aquanauts section in Adventure Ocean (the kids program). There is no additional charge for Adventure Ocean, though a $10 tip or so at the end of the cruise is appropriate -- Let your daughter hand over the tip on the last full day (Saturday). Oh, I think you can leave your 3-year-old with Adventure Ocean during the day at a port-of-call at no additional charge, so you can enjoy the port. Also, there is a great kids water park on the ship. And a pretty good mini-golf course at the front (walk up the stairs on deck 12 outside near the front of the ship).

See: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentSiteletSub.do?pagename=family_kids&pagenameMain=main_family&discriminators=2

Transportation between airport and ship: IMO...This is a major issue for Galveston. Galveston is great for us Texans and others who can drive to the ship, but not so much for flyers. Do not book a return flight earlier than 1pm Sunday, and even then you should probably do self-assist, where you take your own luggage off the ship and therefore leave earlier than others. Also it is best to fly in the day before (Saturday) -- this is true of most any cruise. If you have only 2 people, a shared-ride shuttle or bus might be the cheapest way. If 3 or more, a private car might be cheaper (UBER, taxi, etc.). One advantage of a private car -- it leaves when you want, assuming the car shows up on time, and a private car often will take you on a short tour of Galveston (sometimes no charge, sometimes extra). Do not wait -- book something now, or you may find you have to use a taxi, which can be the most expense method. The north Bush airport is about 90 minutes away from the cruise -- more if there is traffic (which happens a lot -- a couple of times for us the major road I-45 was shut down when we left to return home).

Edited by Jimnbigd

You can stay at a hotel near the airport, a hotel closer to the port, or a hotel in Galveston. The hotels near the airports (both Houston Bush and the Hobby) are inexpensive. Some of them provide a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The hotels in Galveston are more expensive, but there is more to do since many of them are located across the street from the beach. Some hotels in Galveston offer shuttle service to the port (free or for a fee).

If you stay at a hotel near the airport, then the morning of the cruise you can take a shuttle to the port. I think some people even use Uber. I have stayed at hotels in Galveston for prior cruises. I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites and the Doubletree by Hilton. Both offered shuttles to the port for a fee and were fine. I think there are a few hotels that offer free shuttle service. It is fun to stay near the beach.

I am cruising out of Galveston this weekend and staying at the Sheraton near the Houston Bush airport before my cruise. I got a club level room for only $83 per night (about $97 after taxes) with a AAA rate. I'm taking their free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The next morning I am taking their shuttle back to the airport to catch the Galveston shuttle. I am paying $30 per person for a one-way trip to the port. They offer a discount for round trip. To get back to the airport after my cruise, I am using RCL's transportation. I booked that online by logging into my RCL account.

• 2 months later...

Hi, first of all take a deep breath and relax. It will all work out with some research on Cruise Critic or other travel forums.

IMHO it is never a bad idea to expose children to travel. My grandchildren (11 -9) have cruised forever. The 11 year old first time on an 11 day cruise from New Orleans to Boston when she was about 18 months. The 9YO was on the same cruise but we did not know that until after the cruise.

Do good research on the hotels and distance from the port. We sailed out of Galveston years ago. Stayed in a hotel that I thought was close to the port. It was an hour taxi ride. Back then, it was affordable. The ride fro the ship to the airport was even longer and the schedule was tight. Lesson learned. It is much easier now with maps that give you distances and travel time.

Sometimes I wear myself out with to much research so relax find something and move on.. Trust yourself and have fun. Actually the thing I always tell people, it is easier to make a reservation and then cancel it than to scramble at the list minute. Just make sure you make reservations that can be canceled, which are not always the best price.

Of COURSE you should take your child! You're a "family" and families travel together! It's not different than at home.....you'll do the same things with the addition of the kid's club, which most kids LOVE! They are very "age appropriate" and kids have a blast! Who cares if THEY remember it (and I bet she will), but you certainly will! No worries about bringing your child! (And, btw, tips are NOT required or requested in the kid's club...the staff are highly trained professionals...not "service" personnel)

With the kids club and the water stuff, you'll be fine with the 3 year old. Our youngest was 4 when we went, remembered it and loved it.

For Galveston travel, search the suggested websites and also Port of Galveston. They have lots of great recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And don't swear no travel agent. I'd rather do it myself, with help from places like Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor. Both have never steered me wrong (check out recommendations for private excursions).

And don't swear no travel agent. I'd rather do it myself, with help from places like Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor. Both have never steered me wrong (check out recommendations for private excursions).

Sweat [emoji1]

Who cares if THEY remember it (and I bet she will)

Do you specifically recall any memories from when you were 3. I know my parents took me on a trip to Europe when I was young (maybe 5 or 6). I have an incredibly vague memory of riding the train. And we have pictures. I can't recall any of the memories from the pictures. Was the trip worth taking? You'd have to ask my parents, they have their memories, they have pictures, and I'm sure at the moment I had fun and they have memories of that.

Not all saying they shouldn't take her. But no, a 3 year old isn't going to have any true memories of the trip.

If you just booked you can probably transfer your booking to a travel agent who could not only help you with logistics, but give some On Board Credit, which would help with the budget and the saving money.

Do you specifically recall any memories from when you were 3. I know my parents took me on a trip to Europe when I was young (maybe 5 or 6). I have an incredibly vague memory of riding the train. And we have pictures. I can't recall any of the memories from the pictures. Was the trip worth taking? You'd have to ask my parents, they have their memories, they have pictures, and I'm sure at the moment I had fun and they have memories of that.

Not all saying they shouldn't take her. But no, a 3 year old isn't going to have any true memories of the trip.

We took a fantastic family vacation when our children were 3 and 5. DD remembers some of it, mostly from looking at the photos that we took. HOWEVER, these are some of the best vacation memories that DH and I have. Taking your young children on a family vacation may not always be about building their memories of the time, but building your memories of time spent with them.

HOWEVER, these are some of the best vacation memories that DH and I have. Taking your young children on a family vacation may not always be about building their memories of the time, but building your memories of time spent with them.

100% agree

But no, a 3 year old isn't going to have any true memories of the trip.

we took our son on his first cruise when he was 3. He absolutely fell in love with cruising and now asks to go cruising every year. He is 6. He is counting days till our next cruise this November. He also remembers Princess Cays as the place where his foot got sliced opened and that happened 1.5 years ago.

I remember some things from when I was 3 and even younger. Kids enjoy life as it's happening, while adults enjoy the memories. Even if the kids don't remember the trip a year or two or twenty later, they do enjoy it very much in the moment.

My sons first cruise was at 11 months. He's had several more in his past 20 yrs. If you have a balcony cabin, be really clear with him about standing on chairs on the balcony or being on the balcony in general. Our son had to know if "puppy" (his favorite stuffed animal) fell over the side that puppy was gone forever and that mom and dad couldn't help, and how serious it would be if he fell over. Have a great time! He loved the kids clubs

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm 63 and can remember some things I've experienced from about the time I was 3 or 4. We took our daughter on her first cruise at 23 months of age and she was one month short of being able to take part in Camp Carnival, but she had a fun time, and we had a fun time with her, even though it meant she was always with us. We went on a short cruise, and then drove down to another city and spent some days there for her first hotel stay.

Her next cruise was at age 3, and it was her first time on a plane (she kinda remembers a little about that -- I mentioned the other day that she was actually in Las Vegas, but just for the short time to go from one plane terminal to another...and she even remembers that, besides her time in the kids' club and after the cruise in the Keys).

You take a lot of photos of the kids on a trip like that and years later, it reminds them of a family vacation...and that is priceless.