RCCL Canada/New England beware

Just some heads up on the crappy move that Royal Caribbean is pulling with selling the Canada/New England itinerary right now. They have changed the port of Newport R.I. for New London, CT. If you don't know about this stop in New England, and what is there.... well... NOT MUCH! But all of us that have just made our final payments are going to find out. There is a whole ROLL CALL of unhappy people and I just thought I would warn anyone that was deciding on what ship to book for Canada/New England. This is not the first time that Royal has done this to me. But it will be the last!

Hope this helps in your selection process.

They have changed the port of Newport R.I. for New London, CT. If you don't know about this stop in New England, and what is there.... well... NOT MUCH! .

Mystic Seaport is there, as well as a wonderful submarine tour as well as historic house tours (Shaw/Perkins). It's a beautiful area.

• 2 weeks later...
It's no Newport, though.

No, it's not, but it's beautiful..and we love the Mystic area.

I'm not thrilled with going to Jamaica, instead of Costa Maya either..I'd much rather be at a safer place. Costa Maya was why we picked our cruise, since we weren't able to go in on another cruise. But I knew going in, the ports could change. We'll prob stay on the ship..at least at Mystic there is a lot to do that is safe.

I had such plans for Newport. I've spoke to people I know who lived there and looked it all up to get "excited" about the port. I wanted to do the Cliff walk and see the Breakers. I could excuse bad weather but just to switch it..... Very disappointed and I am letting RC know it. :mad:

You can drive there..look at some of the other posts on the NE boards and they talk about the routes, etc. I do believe if you will research Mystic and Groton you will find plenty to see and do.

Yes, it is a sad change... I am not saying Mystic isn't nice. I have heard otherwise and believe it. It just isn't a place that I picked this particular cruise for, and I definitely don't want to spend my day in Mystic with the 3000+ passengers of the Explorer. The town is TINY!!! And yes... we can still go to Newport... at $100 a head now instead of nothing... so for our party, it will cost us $400 now instead of walking off the tender and being there, if we want to do a shore excursion. We are making due... and renting a car for the day and driving there ourselves, but it still is a bummer!

Archived