Going out of Galveston

Cruisefriends

There are alot of options but they fill up quickly so make your reservations early. We stayed a couple of years ago at The Inn at the Waterpark. You might check out some reviews on tripadvisor so see how its doing. Its an older place but the staff was really nice and we had one of the back rooms which was neat and clean. There was a small breakfast room but enough for a quick free breakfast. Since i was fixing to leave on a cruise i wasnt too worried about eating alot. They did have a free shuttle at the time and we left our car at the hotel for no charge. They also had a mini golf area which was fun. When we returned the shuttle picked up back up with no problems. Have fun!

A long time ago, we stayed at La Quinta Inn, which had very low rates when we were there. They let us park there for the cruise, but we had to take cabs to/from the port. Still, we paid under $100 in total for the hotel plus cab rides.

My last 3 times out of Galveston, we stayed at a hotel on the southeast side of Houston. Rates were much more reasonable there for those times. Then we would drive the 45 minutes to the port in the morning & use an off-site parking option, which was cheaper than parking at the port. We again came out quite a bit cheaper in total than a Galveston hotel that includes parking & shuttle. This is a great option if you aren't caring to spend time in Galveston.

We always stay at the Country Inns and Suites on the seawall (not to be confused with the COMFORT Inn and Suites).

Nice hotel, free breakfast, they allow you to park your car during the cruise, free wifi, they have a shuttle but its only a $12 taxi to the pier. I just booked a room there for $59/king (senior rate).

But the prices go WAY up during spring break, holidays and summer season.

We always stay at the Country Inns and Suites on the seawall (not to be confused with the COMFORT Inn and Suites).

Nice hotel, free breakfast, they allow you to park your car during the cruise, free wifi, they have a shuttle but its only a $12 taxi to the pier. I just booked a room there for $59/king (senior rate).

WOW. I just checked for our cruise next FEB and it's like 3-4 times that amount. Good booking for you.

• 2 weeks later...

$199 for same room May 2nd. Going to keep looking...

We stayed at the Inn at the Waterpark last year. Older hotel with outdated rooms, but free parking & shuttle to cruise terminal and our truck and trailer were still there when we returned. LoL

WOW. I just checked for our cruise next FEB and it's like 3-4 times that amount. Good booking for you.

Galveston has a huge Mardi Gras celebration. If you are cruising that week I'd recommend staying in Houston and parking at the port.

Although we have stayed several times in Galveston the night before departure, we have often found the inexpensive hotels to be a little seedy. The prices in Galveston also seem to be quite seasonal depending on spring break, mardi gras, etc activities. Our last 3 cruises we have stayed at the Hilton in Clear Lake down the street from NASA. It provides a nice side trip to NASA if you'd like and I love the lobby decorations done all in space theme with lots of astronaut-era themed pictures. Then we make the 30 minute drive down to Galveston in the morning. As far as parking in Galveston, I would highly recommend 81st Dolphin http://www.81stdolphinparking.net which is a family-business we've used for more than 10 years. You park, unload your bags and they shuttle you to the drop-off point. They use vans so they run frequently and you don't have to wait for them to fill an entire bus. When we arrived back in Galveston a week ago, one of tires was flat but our driver had an air tank and he quickly filled up our tire so we could drive to Wal-Mart for a quick fix. That's service above and beyond. By the way - if you search for Dolphin parking on the web you'll likely pull up a competitor. Stick with the real deal.

Stayed at the Inn at the waterpark

They have a cruise special for 89.00

Includes parking and free shuttle to and from port

Just booked this for our February 2016 Freedom cruise at $94.00 ($108.00 with tax) for a family of 4 including the shuttle to the port.

I checked a few hotels on the list someone posted and some of them have 2 day minimums and others have no rates out to 2016. Does anyone know of any hotels without a 2 day minimum and cheap or free parking? Or is it just as good to park right at the port and not have to worry about shuttles back and forth?

I checked a few hotels on the list someone posted and some of them have 2 day minimums and others have no rates out to 2016. Does anyone know of any hotels without a 2 day minimum and cheap or free parking? Or is it just as good to park right at the port and not have to worry about shuttles back and forth?

We are staying at Holiday Inn Resort. One night. We have parked here before for the week for free (flying this time). Shuttle to port

Check hotel rates in La Marque and/or Texas City then pay to park while on the cruise. You might come out ahead.

Thank you.

Just made reservations with 81 Dolphin parking (Thank you smithley) and staying in Texas City for 50% less than Galveston prices for May cruise.

Galveston has a huge Mardi Gras celebration. If you are cruising that week I'd recommend staying in Houston and parking at the port.

Winter (off season) rates are reasonable except for Mardi Gras. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Beach a couple of times in December but rates were double for May and triple for Mardi Gras. They have free cruise parking and shuttle service to and from the port.