New Years Eve Formal: For 10 Degree Temperatures

coka

If you lived in an area that had or has WINTER, what would you wear for a New Year's Eve formal outfit? Would you wear something that you wear on the ship's formal night?

I am looking for all answers EXCEPT anything velvet. Thanks in advance!

Coka

P.S. Everything will be in one location so there is no plan to venture outside in the ten degree temperatures.

I am going to a mountain lodge where we go every year for New Years. I have a dress by Rampage that has spaghetti straps and is shorter in the front than the back. It is fuchia underneath with a sheer black overlay (wish I had a picture it's beautiful)! It's only chilly walking from the cabin to the lodge. I wear my snowmobile boots and carry my strappy sandles. I do wear toeless nylons to keep some of the cold at bay!! The attire is very mixed as some people come straight from their snowmobiles or off the ski trail as they are and some of us take time to dress up but nobody cares and we all have a great time. Fireworks go off at midnight and we change back into our boots and go watch! What ever you do have fun and stay safe!!

I have a fuzzy black angora sweater that's quite dressy. It has a wide, slightly scooped neck and there are 1" black beads all around the neckline. The same beading is around the wrists too.

I wear this with a black silk skirt or a black lace skirt and black high heeled boots.

Jane

A lot depends on whether or not there will be dancing. Often I'll be chilly during dinner but once the dancing starts I warm up.

I have a few "Old Faithfuls" in my closet. My black crepe pants, a tea-length black crepe skirt with a chiffon overlay, and my trusty silk gold twin set that has gold metallic threads. Those three items can go anywhere on short notice and are great for mix and match.

Of course there are always the gowns. In winter I tend to lean toward the ones with long sleeves.

Beth

It does absolutely make a difference if there is dancing or not! I only sit down long enough to have a glass or two or three of champagne so I stay warm enough in spaghetti straps!! I would wear a lot warmer clothes if I was sitting and visiting with friends.

Have fun and be careful!

I have a raw silk formal ankle-length sheath in a tan/gold [not metallic] that is sleeveless with a matching lined beaded jacket that has 3/4 length sleeves. I would wear that on a winter formal occasion. I could take the jacket off if I felt warm while dancing.

Thank you everyone! Everything described so far sounds lovely! Yes, there will be a lot of dancing. It will be in Montreal. I just was not sure if sleeveless formals or spagetti strapped formals with open-toed strappy sandals are worn as formal-wear during winter months.

Keep the replies coming! I am getting some ideas.

Coka

Well, you are further north than me, but I'll give it a shot.

This winter I've worn a long midnight blue satin full skirt with a long sleeved white satin blouse, sparkly (faux) sapphire & crystal earrings and necklace, and matching high heeled sandals. Although I've never worn them, the toeless stockings might not be a bad idea for Montreal.

If you feel you need a wrap, there are some pretty realistic looking faux fur wraps on the market now.

Have a wonderful time in Montreal!

My answer to New Year's Eve here in the "frozen tundra" - where it is not uncommon to have -25 degree temperatures on that night - is a winter-white(ivory) lightweight wool pantsuit and winter-white angora cowl neck sleeveless sweater. I dress it up with beautiful sparkly earrings, bracelet and a lapel pin, some fabulous high heeled sandals and I'm ready to party the night away. If it gets overly warm in the event (whether a party in a home or a public venue), I slip out of the jacket and still have my party look. Oh, I wear winter boots to get from house to car and car to party - I don't trust myself in anything else during the winter because I've found myself on ground level wayyyy too many times before! :D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Well, 20 below zero yesterday, 35 degrees tomorrow! Hmmm, I went to a store and found a little black fur short-sleeve bolero jacket to possibly wear with a black silk dress (long in back shorter in front) with spagetti straps. It has white embroidered flowers on the chest area. I have a pair of black and white high spiked shoes with a little opening in front for 2 toes and open on the insides. I did not purchase the bolero yet...Another option is to go with my tuxedo jacket (with tails) and a clingy black sleeveless dress with a small turtleneck, black nylons and black strappy sandals (I know I know...fashion mistake!), or the tuxedo jacket and a short black skirt and fishnet stockings?????? Gotta find the fishnet stockings...or the ones with the seam in the back. I hear Victoria's Secret finally is selling them!

What do you think? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Coka

Do you know anybody else who has been or is going to this party? Maybe they could give you what is "in style" in that kind of weather.

I believe your original post said that you would never have to go outside to go to the party. If that is the case, maybe the outside temperature isn't too important for determining your evening wear.

I think the fur bolero sounds great, but if you have to go outside, go for the full length fur.

Stockings with sandals give me the creeps, but I think they would beat freezing to death.

Your outfits all sound great. Is the tuxedo jacket meant to be worn with a dress? Never seen that before.

Think WARM thoughts!

Hi Ragdoll,

Yes, the people going are asking me what to wear!!! Some are wearing full length gowns with wraps and another is wearing a long velvet skirt with fancy top. The guys are wearing tuxedos. I am an "eleventh wheel" since my hubby hates going out.

I have worn the tuxedo jacket with the clingy dress and a gold cumberbun (sp?) when I worked the winter ball at my school and I wore the jacket with the skirt for working a prom, a nd on two cruises. Only positive remarks so far but then again, who is going to look me in the face and tell me I look stupid? Ironically, the compliments came from male and female teenagers and from elderly men and women.

I am leaving work to get cruisecritic Balkan Soul who arrives in Montreal airport today...she will help me decide too! Oh well, this is fun until the day arrives!

I still welcome comments and suggestions. I am rethinking the black hose and black sandals even though I think I look pretty good in it!

Coka

Archived