Anyone done this? and did you get away with it?

kazover40

We are flying from Dublin to Santiago via Paris in November. Our friend who lives in Paris is joining with us!

When I checked the air fare with Air France it was about $200 cheaper for us to fly, than our friend from Paris. They are e.tickets with a complete itinerary, not seperate leg tickets!

He said OK book me from Dublin as well and I will just turn up at Paris and say I changed my travel plans!

WILL HE GET AWAY WITH IT?

WILL HIS LUGGAGE END UP IN DUBLIN ON OUR RETURN?

WILL THEY MAKE HIM PAY THE EXTRA?

We are flying from Dublin to Santiago via Paris in November. Our friend who lives in Paris is joining with us!

When I checked the air fare with Air France it was about $200 cheaper for us to fly, than our friend from Paris. They are e.tickets with a complete itinerary, not seperate leg tickets!

He said OK book me from Dublin as well and I will just turn up at Paris and say I changed my travel plans!

WILL HE GET AWAY WITH IT?

WILL HIS LUGGAGE END UP IN DUBLIN ON OUR RETURN?

WILL THEY MAKE HIM PAY THE EXTRA?

If the tickets are routed DUB/CDG/SCL and return and your friend does not board in Dublin, the entire ticket will be CANCELED. No need to worry about the luggage, as he won't be able to check in for the flight in Paris.

But to answer your question, yes, the luggage will go to Dublin.

This is NOT a good idea.

Can he get one of those famous cheap ryanair or easyjet flights to Dublin to hook up with your cheaper flight? Not that his time would likely be worth it LOL.

Good idea, but with a South American cruise on the OP's horizon, I doubt anyone could meet the RyanAir luggage requirements. ALL checked luggage is charged (about 10.00US for slightly over 30 pounds). And it's $11.00 PER KILO over 30 pounds.

EasyJet gives you 44 pounds of FREE checked luggage, but they don't fly to Dublin.

Went through this whole scenario trying to get from Shannon to Amsterdam very cheaply. For the time it took, flying and flying and flying different airlines, I would have been better off spending $80 extra dollars and booking the BA flights direct through London. And I didn't have any luggage to worry about.

You are correct-the time involved is usually not worth the money.

Your right! None of this is worth it!

I am going to write to my friend and tell him too sort it!

I booked it on the net for him, as he is computer phobic! He can get on the phone and do the grovelling! At least he speaks French!

Thx for all your help!

I am going to write to my friend and tell him too sort it!

I booked it on the net for him, as he is computer phobic! He can get on the phone and do the grovelling! At least he speaks French!

He should be mentally prepared to be told that it's now too late and he must start in Dublin or else lose his entire ticket. That will depend on the terms and conditions of the ticket that's been booked - many of the cheap tickets are non-refundable and non-rerouteable, even if the dates can be changed. So he may well find that he cannot now change the ticket to start from Paris, and that is is now locked in to having to fly to Dublin to start his ticket, and to having to fly back from Dublin at the end of the trip. It will probably cost him more than $200 to do that, which will unfortunately illustrate the maxim "penny wise, pound foolish".

The only thing that reliably works in situations like this is if you book the last sector after a stopover (usually a 24+ hour break in journey). This means that the baggage must be re-delivered to the passenger at the stopover point. If the passenger fails to turn up for the last sector, most airlines will usually do nothing about it. But the passenger must travel to the originating point to start the ticket, otherwise (as has been said) the entire itinerary will be cancelled.

Archived