Sapphire Princess - any new news?

kjets

I think there was a past thread she goes in for a short dry dock in March/April and then will be chartered for cruise for a period of about 4 or so months (or was it the other way around) prior to being repositioned for general sale cruises within Asia.

As you can see i think we are on her second last cruise in FEB/MAR next year.

Perhaps they are still trying to sort out the final charter contract dates before releasing the Saphire back the public selling. This process has perhaps taken longer than expected and thus we still dont know her schedule.

Sorry i am not of any more help

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I too am looking for any updates. We are sailing on the Sapphire out of Shanghai on Sept. 3.

I read a Princess news release saying they did some refitting and changed personnel, added a more Asian dining expeience, etc. to accommodate the Asian market during the Asian cruising season which ends in August.

I am wondering if they will discontinue all of those Asian focused things when the ship opens up for the rest of the world in September. I for one hope a lot of the things remain. I'd love an Asian focused dining experience during our cruise.

Edited by whatsup6897

We were on the LA to Osaka repositioning cruise. This was the 3rd time on the Sapphire Princess. It's pretty much unchanged except what was reported earlier before we left - new tv's, new mattresses (someone said they were hand me downs from HAL-certainly better than the standard Princess mattress). The shops were had a changeover of merchandise - more upscale items - Rolexs, Burberry, etc. The Karaoke was replaced by a chinese model with alot of Chinese songs - by the end of the cruise most songs sung were in Chinese, but it was unreliable and had limited non-Chinese songs and had to be replaced by the original machine when it broke down. As for food, they were changing over to emphasize Asian cuisine, but they originally had plan to do the changeover after the cruise to Osaka - because I did the Chef's Table early on the cruise, I got to know the head chef and I told him that they should start doing the changeover during our cruise as the ship had around 20-25% passengers of Asian descent who would be much better critics than the crew members who were going to be the guinea pigs. Naturally, the changeover was not as easy as they thought.

Ingredients were sometimes lacking - i.e. wrong kind of rice for sushi, didn't have the right kind of noodles for Chinese noodle dishes. Hot noodle dishes were served lukewarm - probably without trays, not a good idea to carry around in the Horizon Court. They got tables of Chinese diners in the Traditional Dining Room to try out a couple of dishes each night and got their critiques. At least Princess realized they had alot more work to do on the changeover. If they succeeded, I don't know.

Overall, the ship is pretty much unchanged except for the mattresses, tv's, and shops.

It's pretty much unchanged except what was reported earlier before we left - new tv's, new mattresses (someone said they were hand me downs from HAL-certainly better than the standard Princess mattress).
"Someone" doesn't know what they're talking about. The Sapphire mattresses are MUCH better than HAL's. Of course, that's subjective but I always get back problems on a HAL cruise because I find the beds way too soft. The Sapphire mattress is a great combination of support and a pillow-top. FYI, the same mattress as I've had on the Star, Island, Crown and Royal over the past two years. The "standard" Princess mattress is great IMHO. Edited by Pam in CA

"Someone" doesn't know what they're talking about. The Sapphire mattresses are MUCH better than HAL's. Of course, that's subjective but I always get back problems on a HAL cruise because I find the beds way too soft. The Sapphire mattress is a great combination of support and a pillow-top. FYI, the same mattress as I've had on the Star, Island, Crown and Royal over the past two years. The "standard" Princess mattress is great IMHO.
I find all of the discussions about mattresses interesting. Mattress comfort is an individual matter and what is good for one person is not for another. That being said, there is only one firm that supplies mattresses to almost all cruise lines including Celebrity, Silversea, Princess, Azamara, Regent, Royal Caribbean International, Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania and Carnival. The firm is Matermoll, an Italian company that appears to have cornered the market for the fire resistant bedding approved for maritime use. They make just a handful of models and they are probably the same on most cruise lines. I do believe that Princess has stepped up one model in recent years.

We were originally booked for land tour prior to September 3 sailing and when I posted a question on these boards, I got answer that sapphire was privately chartered by a Chinese travel company for the entire summer and September 3 cruise would be the first one operated by Princess. Due to several reasons, we decided to cancel this cruise last March. Guess there would be no reviews if this is the case.

I find all of the discussions about mattresses interesting. . . .

I find the opposite. In fact, I find the mattress discussions to be an excellent sleep aid. Perhaps those complaining about said mattresses should be encouraged to read print-outs of all the mattress posts.

Edited by rdsqrl

"Someone" doesn't know what they're talking about. The Sapphire mattresses are MUCH better than HAL's. Of course, that's subjective but I always get back problems on a HAL cruise because I find the beds way too soft. The Sapphire mattress is a great combination of support and a pillow-top. FYI, the same mattress as I've had on the Star, Island, Crown and Royal over the past two years. The "standard" Princess mattress is great IMHO.

I'm sorry if you feel this way. It was a deduction made by another passenger who knew that Princess had to pick up these new mattresses from San Diego. The mattress in my balcony room didn't have that new feel to it though it could have been there for a few months. On the other hand, it certainly didn't feel like the soft pillowtop mattress that HAL uses. The new Princess mattress has a thinner pillowtop and firmer support though nothing like the old Princess mattress. Oh yes, Alfredo's allows you to make any combination pizza you want as long as you can see if the ingredients are being used that day (where the pizza is made). So, I had lots of pepperoni, mushrooms, and roasted garlic pizzas on my cruise. Much better than the Lido deck pizza which is pretty good - more like pizza you get at a good neighborhood pizza parlor.

• 2 months later...

Appreciate someone posting who Maitre D' is for Sapphire for Sep onwards when Princess pre cruise email arrives please to update Maitres D' List. MDH Francisco Patricio has been on board for months, so wondering if there may be a change now Sapphire's Japanese season has ended? Thank you in advance for any info.

http://boards.cruisecritc.com/showthreads.php?t=1978121

the charters have ended but now she begins a season of southeast asia cruises. the first of the regular sailings are about halfway through their cruise. hopefully when they return they will update us on how its going.

Agree, looking forward to a report.

I am booked on the Sapphire in January 2015. Had no idea it had been chartered for such a long time this summer.

Appreciate someone posting who Maitre D' is for Sapphire for Sep onwards when Princess pre cruise email arrives please to update Maitres D' List. MDH Francisco Patricio has been on board for months, so wondering if there may be a change now Sapphire's Japanese season has ended? Thank you in advance for any info.

http://boards.cruisecritc.com/showthreads.php?t=1978121

Anyone know who Maitre D' is on Sapphire now please??????

I think he's invisible!! Just got odd the sapphire today and didn't see him once nor the captain. Obviously wasn't around for the formal nights when people were allowed in the dining rooms with shirts on!

Great to hear from someone on the Sapphire! We sail October 7th and Princess says the CD hasn't even been appointed yet!

Have a great cruise and PLEASE report back when you can.

I think he's invisible!! Just got odd the sapphire today and didn't see him once nor the captain. Obviously wasn't around for the formal nights when people were allowed in the dining rooms with shirts on!

you just got off? how was the cruise? we are thirsty for information: the ship, the ports, anything you can share please....or I wait 3 1/2 weeks and find out! :)