Do people realize just how good these deals are?

Bruin Steve

Okay...So I just made my final payment for our November 23 sailing of the Golden Princess...

The cruise itinerary isn't all that exciting...We're going from LA down to Ensenada and back...

BUT, everyone likes to get away from home for a nice weekend every now and then...

Considering we're paying only $668 for a balcony cabin (that's including taxes and fees!)--and $200 of that comes back as OBC--which will cover tips, our wine tour in Ensenada and a couple of drinks each...We're are "carpooling" to the pier... which means half a parking charge, we're enjoying 3 nights for under $700 TOTAL...

Yes, we are fortunate that we live within an hour of port, so we don't have to pay for abny airfare or extra transportation or hotel charges...

But, let's compare this to going for any typical three night "getaway weekend"...

If, instead, we wanted to go to, say, San Diego or Santa Barbara or Palm Springs or Lake Arrowhead for three nights (typical weekend getaways for LA area residents), we'd be paying:

--San Diego (We're actually going there in early October): The Marriott on Mission Bay is costing us $233 and change (inc. taxes) per night...So, $700 right there...

--Santa Barbara: The Hyatt is a moderately priced (for Santa Barbara) $180 per night for the same dates as our cruise...So, $540 just for the hotel...

--Palm Springs: Hilton Palm Springs...on a pay now rate...inc. taxes is $686 for the 3 nights...

--Lake Arrowhead: Lake Arrowhead Resort--$198 and change per night on a nonrefundable rate...So $595 for three nights...

Yeah, there are some cheaper hotels in some of these places...more expensive ones too...I was just using these as representative of where we would be likely to stay...

So, between $540 and $700 just for three nights' lodging... Then we'd have to drive between 150 and 300 miles plus driving in and around the area...so, add about $50 just for gas, not even worrying about wear and tear, parking charges, etc...or risk of traffic tickets or accidents...So, that typical weekend getaway is now $590 to $750--say, we're averaging $670 without even EATING or any entertainment or attraction fees...NOW, try EATING for three days for two people for $30!!

Heck, if we just stayed AT HOME and drove to modest restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner for three days...and, maybe went out for some moderately priced entertainment for three nights--say a movie...we'd likely spend close to that $700!

So, at these prices, we're getting a relaxing, low stress cruise...We're eating very nice...with great service. We get activities onboard the ship all day and shows and other entertainment options well into the night...We get a nice wine tour during the one port stop. Aside from the drive to the port and back, we don't have to hassle with any logistics...We'll have a nice balcony cabin with a pleasant ocean view...

If we paid MORE (say $670 plus $150 per day for three meals for two--so $1120 total--before ANY entertainment)...We'd be sitting by a hotel pool most of the day...we'd be dealing with where to go to dinner, then trying to be conservative in ordering so as to not overspend that budget...Then we'd be going back to the hotel room after dinner and watching TV...

For some of the prices they are offering now, how does anyone NOT take a cruise?

Edited by Bruin Steve

This is why I'm doing b2b2b cruises on the Caribbean Princess in October for 14nts (5/5/4). With inside rates for a solo from $398+tax and $400obc on the first two legs and $300 OBC credit on the 3rd sailing (plus FCC & Shareholder OBC) they are practically paying me to go!

My total cruise fare (excluding taxes) is $1194 + $258.90 in taxes ($1452.90) and I have $1325 in OBC :D. That means 14 days onboard costs me only $127.90 +$161 in gratuities ($288.90 total) before discretionary spending. that's only $20/day for lodging, three meals and entertainment. I literally can't afford to stay home :D

Edited by scottamiller

You summed it up very nicely. It is frequently the "argument" I give to my friends and relatives who say "how can you afford to go on cruises on your small pension and social security". Like the other poster said, once you figure in the OBC for FCC and Shareholder and Military (if applicable) and, if you are Elite, free mini-bar, free canapes, free laundry, and (after 20 cruises) free loyalty OBC (small, but counts), the value is even greater. Plus if you win a free luggage tag at Trivia, all the better (LOL).... Go for an inside cabin, and you really get a deal.

Okay...So I just made my final payment for our November 23 sailing of the Golden Princess...

The cruise itinerary isn't all that exciting...We're going from LA down to Ensenada and back...

BUT, everyone likes to get away from home for a nice weekend every now and then...

Considering we're paying only $668 for a balcony cabin (that's including taxes and fees!)--and $200 of that comes back as OBC--which will cover tips, our wine tour in Ensenada and a couple of drinks each...We're are "carpooling" to the pier... which means half a parking charge, we're enjoying 3 nights for under $700 TOTAL...

Yes, we are fortunate that we live within an hour of port, so we don't have to pay for abny airfare or extra transportation or hotel charges...

But, let's compare this to going for any typical three night "getaway weekend"...

If, instead, we wanted to go to, say, San Diego or Santa Barbara or Palm Springs or Lake Arrowhead for three nights (typical weekend getaways for LA area residents), we'd be paying:

--San Diego (We're actually going there in early October): The Marriott on Mission Bay is costing us $233 and change (inc. taxes) per night...So, $700 right there...

--Santa Barbara: The Hyatt is a moderately priced (for Santa Barbara) $180 per night for the same dates as our cruise...So, $540 just for the hotel...

--Palm Springs: Hilton Palm Springs...on a pay now rate...inc. taxes is $686 for the 3 nights...

--Lake Arrowhead: Lake Arrowhead Resort--$198 and change per night on a nonrefundable rate...So $595 for three nights...

Yeah, there are some cheaper hotels in some of these places...more expensive ones too...I was just using these as representative of where we would be likely to stay...

So, between $540 and $700 just for three nights' lodging... Then we'd have to drive between 150 and 300 miles plus driving in and around the area...so, add about $50 just for gas, not even worrying about wear and tear, parking charges, etc...or risk of traffic tickets or accidents...So, that typical weekend getaway is now $590 to $750--say, we're averaging $670 without even EATING or any entertainment or attraction fees...NOW, try EATING for three days for two people for $30!!

Heck, if we just stayed AT HOME and drove to modest restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner for three days...and, maybe went out for some moderately priced entertainment for three nights--say a movie...we'd likely spend close to that $700!

So, at these prices, we're getting a relaxing, low stress cruise...We're eating very nice...with great service. We get activities onboard the ship all day and shows and other entertainment options well into the night...We get a nice wine tour during the one port stop. Aside from the drive to the port and back, we don't have to hassle with any logistics...We'll have a nice balcony cabin with a pleasant ocean view...

If we paid MORE (say $670 plus $150 per day for three meals for two--so $1120 total--before ANY entertainment)...We'd be sitting by a hotel pool most of the day...we'd be dealing with where to go to dinner, then trying to be conservative in ordering so as to not overspend that budget...Then we'd be going back to the hotel room after dinner and watching TV...

For some of the prices they are offering now, how does anyone NOT take a cruise?

reason not to go "people get really see sick and cant handle the motion" It must be nice to live near the ports. Hoping to do a med cruise next year :(

Exactly! We've cruised on our anniversary week the last three years, but I proposed to my husband that for this upcoming anniversary (20th!), we do something different. He likes the tropics, so I researched booking a week at a resort in the Caribbean or Mexico, preferably an AI resort. Fortunately, we don't have to pinch pennies too much, but I almost stroked when I priced a week away in the Caribbean! Granted it was for Feb., but no place was less than $6,000 for the week.

After the sticker shock wore off, we decided that a cruise was really the best option for us. We get a week in the Caribbean, visiting our favorite ports and good food & service - for a lot cheaper. We were able to use SW airline points for our flights too! :D We couldn't have done that otherwise. Even with drink package (for that true AI experience!), we'll come out at about 1/2 of what we would have spent at a resort. And I think we'll have just as good of a time.

I get a few comments like "wow, you're a cruising queen" when I mention that I'm going on another cruise...my response is something just like you describe, lol. Who wouldn't want to cruise.

I've never been called a "cruising queen" but, when ribbed about cruising I have told some folks that "I'm a pretty, pretty Princess!"

(My granddaughter gave me a really strange look when I said that...) :D

In addition to "I get seasick", one hears all kinds of reasons people stay away from cruises:

1. I will be bored to death. I don't enjoy bingo and shuffleboard.

2. Piracy on the seas.

3. The engine will fail and we will be stuck at sea sleeping on decks and no toilets.

4. Norovirus.

5. I get claustrophobic in those little cabins.

6. People fall overboard and are never found.

7. I will get too fat.

8. They won't have anything I like to eat.

9. I don't like to be herded like cattle.

10. Too many drunks.

any others?

In addition to "I get seasick", one hears all kinds of reasons people stay away from cruises:

2. Piracy on the seas.

3. The engine will fail and we will be stuck at sea sleeping on decks and no toilets.

4. Norovirus.

7. I will get too fat.

10. Too many drunks.

any others?

You forgot to repeat number 4 a dozen times... :rolleyes:

We haven't done very many vacations in the last nine years due to a number of reasons, mostly circulating around hubby's work and his mother's terminal illness, but during that time, besides a couple of days in Ventura Harbor and a day trip to Lake Arrowhead (which is a very daunting drive even in July when we went), we have gone on three cruises...all two week ones to Hawaii on Princess. And even when we went at the holiday time when it's the highest fares (actually the only time we can go due to having a school-aged kid), the difference in price between 2005/06 and 2012/13 wasn't that much.

Of course, we stayed in insides and an obstructed OV (which wasn't obstructed much of the time), we had a great time. Now the stop in Ensenada was like a stationary sea day for us as I won't go off the ship there anymore, but I think about 90 per cent of the passengers felt the same.

But now that we've done the two-week ones, my hubby says that even 7-day cruises are too short for him. Embarkation day is a partial (and much of a hassle) and disembarkation day doesn't really count as you get breakfast and then wait to get off the ship and go home. So we've been spoiled.:p:o

The other fly in the ointment for us is that our daughter is a high school senior, which means paying a lot for her education next year (hubby will want to avoid taking -- or making the girl -- take out a loan). Fortunately, she's not Stanford or Harvard material (and I think I've brainwashed her against SC as I'm a true blue Bruin). But even Cal State schools cost a lot. The upside is that if her parents want to take a cruise, we'll be able to do so at just about anytime of year.

I've got answers to all of them...

Just don't cruise on HAL...

2. Piracy on the seas.

Just don't cruise in Somalia...or in New Orleans Square at Disneyland...

Just don't cruise on Carnival...

4. Norovirus.

Yeah, like you never get sick at home either...

But your cubicle at work IS spacious?

Just don't cruise on Carnival...while drunk...or else just get an inside cabin--it's hard to fall through the wall...

7. I will get too fat.

You are already too fat...

But McDonald's and Denny's do???

What animal do you like to be herded like?

10. Too many drunks.

Just don't cruise on Carnival...unless, maybe YOU are one of those drunks?

Edited by Bruin Steve

You are right, it is the best thing anyone can do.....:) :) :) :D

MAYBE there are people who just don't want to go? Do they owe anyone an explanation? It's nobody's business why I go on lots of cruises and it isn't my business why they don't. Besides if all those people booked there would be no room left for us LOL

I love your post OP!!

I feel the same way, everyone at my work calls me the cruise freak...and than they all want me to show them how to do it!! :)

I live in Arizona, so it's just a few hours drive over to CA to the cruise port, I love having it so close, I feel like I can keep my sanity knowing I can score such great deals for a just a quick get away.

I have two of the 4 day cruises that I scored for $149 a pp inside cabin, no obc...however at $37 a day...you can't beat it!

enjoy your cruise!!!

On the flip side the fact that cruises are such a deal is also a curse, as there are other things we would like to do other than a cruise, but a cruise is just so easy and such a value that these other trips just don't seem to get done.

For example we just booked a 5 day cruise visiting 2 ports in Mexico leaving out of Houston (140 miles away), total out of pocket expense for a Gty balcony cabin upgraded to BB including port fees and taxes will be $940 and we get $200 of OBC.

What other kind of trip can you do that even comes close in value these days, 5 nights even in a fairly cheap motel is going to be around $400-$500+, 2 meals per day at basic casual dining places without appetizers or dessert is another $60-$80 per day for 2 people, or at least another $300-$400 for 5 days. This is before travel expenses and assumes fairly low rates.....

I'm with you OP! If you live in So Cal these are great deals. My friend and I are on a 3 day November 14th. We have a Caribe deck balcony. We paid $249 plus $65 port fees. We each have a $100 OBC. What a great way to spend a long weekend. I can't wait. 9 weeks to go.:):):)

I think I got a good deal, I go solo and I got an obstructed ocean view for $261 for a 3 night out of Vancouver to LA. I live near Vancouver and my flight home was free with Visa points, so I am happy...

You got a great deal! I looked at that one, but the air fare was more than the cruise portion as I don't have any miles or points left to use.

Edited by Ryndam2002