Fascination / Jacksonville / Birth Certificate - Trouble???

LSEA

First of all let me start with I know, I know, everybody should have a passport!

DD & I are sailing next Thursday on a 4 day on the Fascination. I have a passport but DD (11) doesn't. She has a disability and honestly we hadn't really thought that she would want / be able to cruise but she expressed an interest and the opportunity was there so I booked just a few days ago. No time to get her a passport.

I opened up the lockbox to get her birth certificate out and all I have is a ratty copy of her birth certificate. It does have an embossed raised seal, but it isn't very legible (the seal, the birth certificate is legible). Are we OK?

DH’s employer relocated us recently and we are living in some temp housing until we find a house. If we do have a better copy it is buried in our storage facility and impossible to get my hands on it. Do I need to scramble to get a better copy? We no longer live in the state where she was born but DH and I could probably figure out a way to get one.

Can anyone who has used a birth certificate let me know what their experience is? Thanks!!!

First of all let me start with I know, I know, everybody should have a passport!

DD & I are sailing next Thursday on a 4 day on the Fascination. I have a passport but DD (11) doesn't. She has a disability and honestly we hadn't really thought that she would want / be able to cruise but she expressed an interest and the opportunity was there so I booked just a few days ago. No time to get her a passport.

I opened up the lockbox to get her birth certificate out and all I have is a ratty copy of her birth certificate. It does have an embossed raised seal, but it isn't very legible (the seal, the birth certificate is legible). Are we OK?

DH’s employer relocated us recently and we are living in some temp housing until we find a house. If we do have a better copy it is buried in our storage facility and impossible to get my hands on it. Do I need to scramble to get a better copy? We no longer live in the state where she was born but DH and I could probably figure out a way to get one.

Can anyone who has used a birth certificate let me know what their experience is? Thanks!!!

Well given that we cannot see what you have, it is very hard to say if it will be good enough based on it's condition.....you contradict your self by saying it does have a seal but isn't very legible, but then you say the seal and birth certificate is legible ?

You need to go by your instincts on this one as only you will know if you feel confident in it. And if not, go ahead and start coming up with a plan to get a "Certified" copy w/ raised seal replacement. You can go to www.vitalchek.com for ordering replacement copies, but it will come at a premium price due to the shortness in time you would need it to arrive to you.

Good Luck.

Are you sure its just a copy if it has the raised seal?? It could be a official copy, then it would be ok.

If you are that worried, you can send for a expedited copy of her birth certificate online. We did that for our first cruise.

You'll be fine. My father used his birth cert for his first few cruises. The thing was held in place by an entire roll of tape. Since he's ancient, the ink was almost illegible where the Registrar has filled it out. The seal was almost worn out. They took it no problem. Just relax. Don't overthink it.

you contradict your self by saying it does have a seal but isn't very legible, but then you say the seal and birth certificate is legible ?

Sorry, what I intended to say was it is hard to make out the details of the raised seal. The text of the birth certificate is legible.

I have no problems paying any price for the new copy if necessary.

Sorry, what I intended to say was it is hard to make out the details of the raised seal. The text of the birth certificate is legible.

I have no problems paying any price for the new copy if necessary.

Can you *feel* the seal?

That aside, if you have the time and resources to replace it, replace it. Peace of mind is priceless.

Are you sure its just a copy if it has the raised seal?? It could be a official copy, then it would be ok.

If you are that worried, you can send for a expedited copy of her birth certificate online. We did that for our first cruise.

It surely must be an official copy because there is a raised seal. I am starting to think I am OK, just looking for something to worry about! Thanks for your quick response.

This is only my 2nd Carnival cruise, I mostly hang out on the HAL boards. The Carnival board is the best, people are so friendly and easy going.

Can you *feel* the seal?

That aside, if you have the time and resources to replace it, replace it. Peace of mind is priceless.

Yes, I can feel the seal and if you hold it up to the light and look really close you can make out most of the letters.

Thanks for the feedback about your Dad's experience. I am over thinking it. Considering the challenges with DD, I tend to worry about everything.

Fingers crossed she enjoys cruising. In any event, I will apply for a passport for her as soon as we return!

Yes, I can feel the seal and if you hold it up to the light and look really close you can make out most of the letters.

Thanks for the feedback about your Dad's experience. I am over thinking it. Considering the challenges with DD, I tend to worry about everything.

Fingers crossed she enjoys cruising. In any event, I will apply for a passport for her as soon as we return!

You'll do fine. Do me a favor though, make sure you take some time to enjoy yourself while on board? ;)

HAVE a GOOD TIME! We travel my daughter Jenny she's 22 yrs old and is severely disabled, this August she will make her 25th CRUISE......yes some years more the 1 cruise for Jen. She LOVES LOVES LOVES cruising :D

Side note: If you are at ALL worried about the birth certificate order a new one from VitalCheck, they are GREAT and easy to work with. ;)

You'll do fine. Do me a favor though, make sure you take some time to enjoy yourself while on board? ;)

Will do. Aside from the nerves I am really looking forward to this. DH and DS aren't going so it is just us girls. I suppose the predictable thing about kids, particularly kids who are significantly disabled, is that things are unpredictable. We have gotten very good at going with the flow. Thanks!

HAVE a GOOD TIME! We travel my daughter Jenny she's 22 yrs old and is severely disabled, this August she will make her 25th CRUISE......yes some years more the 1 cruise for Jen. She LOVES LOVES LOVES cruising :D

Side note: If you are at ALL worried about the birth certificate order a new one from VitalCheck, they are GREAT and easy to work with. ;)

Thanks for the good wishes!

I have thought about VitalCheck, but do you think they could have it to me by Weds, May 5?

I have thought about VitalCheck, but do you think they could have it to me by Weds, May 5?

It will depend on what state your in, if they can overnight it to you, etc. etc. etc. It's definitively worth looking into if you want to have all your bases covered.

I had a birth certificate from PA in 2 days :D Give them a call it is worth the piece of mind.....;)

It will depend on what state your in, if they can overnight it to you, etc. etc. etc. It's definitively worth looking into if you want to have all your bases covered.

Actually, I just got off the phone with the city clerk where she was born. She told me if I fax in the request form from the city's website, along with a copy of my drivers license, and a reminder of our conversation she will get a copy prepared. She said if I have a friend or relative living in the city (which I do) they can come in with a prepaid over night envelope along with the processing fee and she ( the clerk ) will send it out overnight on Monday. They are closing at noon today so we have run out of time but she said it would be no problem to do on Monday. So, I will probably do this.

They may take it or they may not! Go for a new copy if there is time.

On a side note, Customs questioned my DL. I have lost some weight since the photo was taken. There were rumors that stowaways had gotten on at Cozumel so Customs may have been on alert. Little things like this force them to do a better job so they question everything that doesn't meet their expectations.

I had a birth certificate from PA in 2 days :D Give them a call it is worth the piece of mind.....;)

I can't find a number on their website. I think they deal exclusively via email. On their website they are saying it will take 3 - 5 days plus, depending on the locale of the record.

Then when you get home from this WONDERFUL cruise experience you can get every one a passport ;) We all have passport cards a little cheaper but some do not agree with my take on them. Jen can't fly so we have to drive or arrive buy boat.

It surely must be an official copy because there is a raised seal. I am starting to think I am OK, just looking for something to worry about! Thanks for your quick response.

This is only my 2nd Carnival cruise, I mostly hang out on the HAL boards. The Carnival board is the best, people are so friendly and easy going.

I "think" you would be OK...but if it gives you peace of mind just go to the website another poster mentioned- vitalcheck.com and get yourself another copy. It will be expensive since you will have to pay for expedited shipping, but if you don't mind then go for it. Would be worth it for the peace of mind, IMO...and it is always good to have nice, clean (new) copies of important documents!!

Have a wonderful cruise!!!!

Archived