Tender to where in Bay of Islands

alibabacruisers

Does anyone know where QM2 will tender in Bay of Islands? Waitangi, Paihia or Russell? Has she been to Bay of Islands before?

Barbara

h Barbara.,...home town to me.... more recently the ships are tendering to waitangi. because of her size the QM2 will probably anchor off "tapeka". In the past cunarders have send their tenders to russell and paihia but more recently are only sending them to waitangi.

Its about a 20 minute walk along the waterfront into paihia, or a ten minute walk up the hill to the treaty grounds. (ps theres a really good cafe in the grounds called "waikokapu" Set in the bush, over looking a small duckpond with the ship in the distance......great view...and very very good rumballs.....i know i had a mispeant youth eating them..lol..but i digress.)

Thanks for the information Roscoe....very informative. I will have a plan ready for each of the choices of port..just in case. It would be nice if Cunard would let us know earlier rather than later.

Is there much to see in Paihia or would the ferry to Russell be a better option?

Barbara

Thanks for the information Roscoe....very informative. I will have a plan ready for each of the choices of port..just in case. It would be nice if Cunard would let us know earlier rather than later. Is there much to see in Paihia or would the ferry to Russell be a better option? Barbara

Hi Barbara, You can esily do both.

Assuming you tender ashore at Waitangi its a pleasant stroll...20 minutes... along to Paihia from where you can take the ferry ....runs all day....12 minutes across to Russell. Paihia has a pleasant tourist feel about it with quite a few touristy shops and usually a market on cruise ship days to browse.

Russell is the historic part and you can wander around to the old Mission House etc.

By the time time you have had a wander around both its usually time to take the ferry back to Paihia and then back to the tender at Waitangi.

A shuttle is usually provided between Waitangi and Paihia so check for the drop off point if you wish to use it.

I should also add that we have been on several cruises that have called at the Bay of Islands and each time the arrangements have been different.....so prepare for all eventualities:D

Thanks for the information Roscoe....very informative. I will have a plan ready for each of the choices of port..just in case. It would be nice if Cunard would let us know earlier rather than later.

Is there much to see in Paihia or would the ferry to Russell be a better option?

Barbara

hi barbara, i was going to reply but kiwicruiser said exactly what i would have....spoton!

only thing i can add is that on a sunny day the bay is very very pretty. if history is your thing, i would aim for russell and the treaty grounds, if not look into the fullers boat trip to the "hole in the rock"

ill be on in sydney so please dont drink her dry in the meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

Holland Americas Oosterdam is anchored in the Bay today.

Here are a couple of grabs from local webcams.

This one from Paihia. That could be the shuttle bus heading along to Waitangi where the tenders land.

2boi1.jpg

From Russell. The land , to the left , on the far side of the pic is Waitangi.

2boi2.jpg

I received an email from Cunard saying that we will be tendering to Waitangi. So now, after reading both your advice Roscoe and David (thanks to you both), we will probably be checking out all three areas. Still haven't decided whether to do the ship excursion to Waitangi or on our own, but feel like if we book the ships excursion at least we will be able to get off the ship early.

Roscoe, are you getting on in Sydney first or second round (before or after NZ)? I will try to leave a few drinks for you since you are on til Southampton:)

Barbara

Archived