Martinique - Hiking in Tropical Forest - Location Help

wendycook22

There is an excursion Celebrity carries that is entitled Hiking Through Tropical Rain Forest.

This is their description:

Journey into Martinique's majestic rainforest on this guided hike to roaring waterfalls and through dense, lush rainforest. You'll follow your expert guide on foot through winding trails and across wild jungle terrain. Your guide will teach you about the flora and fauna of the area, leading you to beautiful waterfalls along the way. The Absalon walking loop features incredible views of local wildlife and plants. Dip your toes in crystal clear river water while learning about this ecologically diverse area. MT25

Experience a guided rainforest hike, past beautiful waterfalls and through dense jungle terrain.

See the beautiful La Fontaine de Didier falls, where you can dip your feet in the cool cerulean water.

Learn how to identify ferns, mahogany trees, balisier flowers, and other botanical wonders with the expertise of your guide.

Is anyone able to identify where this hike may be located? I like to look up the location to get an idea of what the trails - or atmosphere will be like -any interesting points, etc. We did a rainforest trip once and it was all on paved paths - big disappointment.

Like most we are having difficulty finding excursions outside of the cruise ship so we are going to use our OBC for an excursion in this port.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I did just find this one review.....in case anyone else is interested i knowing...

http://alyssawrites.com/la-fontaine-de-didier/

Our other option was St Pierre Tour with Rum Distillery Visit....

Then we would head back to the ship grab some lunch and maybe leave again after lunch and walk around the city.

Hi Wendy,

That's my blog you linked to there :) I lived in Martinique for a couple years.

The Absalon trail is partly paved before you get to the part that I wrote about on my blog. Then you do a bit of walk through a ravine. It's about an hour and a half one-way to get to Didier. There are better hikes on the island, but that's probably one of the easiest if you're coming on a cruise ship.

The Saint-Pierre and Depaz Distillery is interesting if you like rum -- it's the only distillery that you can explore during production which is around now. Saint-Pierre was onsidered the Paris of the Caribbean but was destroyed in a volcano and you can see the ruins, with nice views over the Caribbean. It's a small fishing town now.

In my opinion, Fort de France isn't a very nice place to explore... Which is where I suspect the ship will be docked. If you have to stay in the area, definitely go to the Victor Schoelcher library (nice architecture) and the Savane. You can go to Lily's Bar at the Bateliere Hotel, they have nice food and drinks that sit on a man-made (but quite clean) beach.

Hope that helps! Have fun in Martinique - I miss it all the time!

Ajwrites thank you very much for the blog and response. We don't sail out until November but Inlike to get an idea of what we can do at each port and make the best decisions for the time we have in each port. The excursions are limited in Martinique right now, maybe more will become available but from my readings I doubt it.

Can you comment on snorkelling or swimming with the turtles?

• 9 months later...
Hi Wendy,

That's my blog you linked to there :) I lived in Martinique for a couple years.

The Absalon trail is partly paved before you get to the part that I wrote about on my blog. Then you do a bit of walk through a ravine. It's about an hour and a half one-way to get to Didier. There are better hikes on the island, but that's probably one of the easiest if you're coming on a cruise ship.

The Saint-Pierre and Depaz Distillery is interesting if you like rum -- it's the only distillery that you can explore during production which is around now. Saint-Pierre was onsidered the Paris of the Caribbean but was destroyed in a volcano and you can see the ruins, with nice views over the Caribbean. It's a small fishing town now.

In my opinion, Fort de France isn't a very nice place to explore... Which is where I suspect the ship will be docked. If you have to stay in the area, definitely go to the Victor Schoelcher library (nice architecture) and the Savane. You can go to Lily's Bar at the Bateliere Hotel, they have nice food and drinks that sit on a man-made (but quite clean) beach.

Hope that helps! Have fun in Martinique - I miss it all the time!

We are interested in signing up for the Celebrity's excursion (MT25.) Any comments about the rain forest hike?

What type of shoes do you recommend for this excursion? Would water shoes work? Tennis shoes? Or should we bring hiking shoes? Please advise