Children

Aorinka

Yes, you'll find children on all luxury voyages but you will find far fewer on long ones and during times of the year other than summer and certain holidays.

In addition some of the lines with much smaller size ships will have either no children or very few.

Keith

yes - we took our kids on their first Regent cruise when they were 12 - and they LOVED it! - we'll be celebrating Christmas this year on the Navigator along with them (they'll be 18, so not kids any longer, but they're still excited about cruising on Regent) -

Crystal and Regent do have programs for children during the summer and school breaks. During the rest of the year there are very few children and the ones that are there are expected to act like little adults. I could not imagine taking my daughter on a luxury cruise when she was young -- she would have been bored to tears (and probably would have terrorized the guests). There are some children that do well in the adult atmosphere with 2 hour dinners...... but, IMO, there aren't too many of them.

Please note that even some other luxury lines have children's program certain times of the year. For example, we were on the Silversea Cruise Line in August of 2009 and there was a children's program and about 40 to 50 children on board even though there are no children's facilities.

Keith

Please note that even some other luxury lines have children's program certain times of the year. For example, we were on the Silversea Cruise Line in August of 2009 and there was a children's program and about 40 to 50 children on board even though there are no children's facilities.

Keith

Just for clarification, there was a children's program on Silversea? I wasn't aware they had one. Do any of the luxury lines have "children's facilities"? From what I've read on the SS board, the cruises with 40 ot 50 children were more or less a nightmare for passengers on board without children. IMO, if you prefer sailing without children, avoid the summer and school breaks.

Just for clarification, there was a children's program on Silversea? I wasn't aware they had one. Do any of the luxury lines have "children's facilities"? From what I've read on the SS board, the cruises with 40 ot 50 children were more or less a nightmare for passengers on board without children. IMO, if you prefer sailing without children, avoid the summer and school breaks.

Yes there was one on our Silversea Alaska cruise. There were a lot of children and it was the record for that summer.

Actually most of them were very well behaved. Just one family was not and honestly I bought it was the parents who were the ones not well behaved.

There was no children's facility but there was a program for the kids.

Keith

Yes there was one on our Silversea Alaska cruise. There were a lot of children and it was the record for that summer.

Actually most of them were very well behaved. Just one family was not and honestly I bought it was the parents who were the ones not well behaved.

Keith

Thanks for explaining. Very interesting!

• 3 months later...

Keith

Hi Keith,

Since we have taken only one cruise (Crystal) with our 8-year old daughter we have been looking at other alternatives. It seems that none of the other luxury lines even mention a program for children so I am not so sure that we would receive the great treatment and service that we did with our daughter on Crystal (Crystal even mentions the Fantasia program for children on their website). In addition to the luxury lines already mentioned, Oceania and Azamara also seem to discourage travel with children. Other than Crystal are there any others you would recommend? The next best thing I can find would be Celebrity. Thanks.

I hear that Disney has an excellent program for kids that allows the parents to enjoy themselves. I don't have children, but if I did, I'd be looking at that line first.

I see your point but our daughter was well received by Crystal - from the Fantasia staff to the head waiter in the MDR to all the guys working on Lido deck. If we want Disney, all we have to do is drive to Disney World. I understand those that do not like children and don't want to have them on their cruise, I just am happy that at least one luxury line knows how to accommodate families and do it well. Usually if a child is causing problems - anywhere - it is the parents that are at fault and should be held responsible IMHO.

As stated in a previous post, we've taken our son on four Crystal Cruises, all had significant numbers of kids. And guess what, you never saw the kids as they were given a full program of activities that kept them busy, out of trouble and allowed the adults to enjoy their cruise. And the kids were generally very well behaved as well.

I see your point but our daughter was well received by Crystal - from the Fantasia staff to the head waiter in the MDR to all the guys working on Lido deck. If we want Disney, all we have to do is drive to Disney World. I understand those that do not like children and don't want to have them on their cruise, I just am happy that at least one luxury line knows how to accommodate families and do it well. Usually if a child is causing problems - anywhere - it is the parents that are at fault and should be held responsible IMHO.

The staff do love children -- after all, many are missing their own. Passengers do not love them so much. Many luxury cruisers book to have a quiet, luxurious time away from the real world -- this includes children. Unless you plan on booking a luxury cruise during the summer and/or school breaks (when there are programs on some luxury lines), you may not receive a warm welcome from other passengers.

In terms of people who never see children when there are 50+ on board...... please tell me where you purchased your ear plugs and blindfold:eek:

P.S. It only takes one family on a small luxury cruise ship to disrupt everything. It is amazing how two or three children can scare passengers out of the pool, almost run you down in the hallways and play games in the elevators - pushing all of the buttons repeatedly.

Hi Keith,

Since we have taken only one cruise (Crystal) with our 8-year old daughter we have been looking at other alternatives. It seems that none of the other luxury lines even mention a program for children so I am not so sure that we would receive the great treatment and service that we did with our daughter on Crystal (Crystal even mentions the Fantasia program for children on their website). In addition to the luxury lines already mentioned, Oceania and Azamara also seem to discourage travel with children. Other than Crystal are there any others you would recommend? The next best thing I can find would be Celebrity. Thanks.

DoubleCho, in terms of a luxury line Crystal in my opinion is the best for a child. So, I would say if you want another luxury experience stay with Crystal.

Celebrity has a very nice children's program and years ago when our children were young we took several Celebrity cruises. They have other nice attributes for the parents such as excellent service. But in terms of expectations it's not a luxury line so you can't compare the two. For example, the food in the main dining room will not come anywhere near to Crystal. Now, one option would be to get a suite and then eat in the specialty restaurants.

Again, it's a nice line but it's not going to compare to Crystal so you would be best not to make comparisons if you go this route so you won't be disappointed.

Keith

DoubleCho, in terms of a luxury line Crystal in my opinion is the best for a child. So, I would say if you want another luxury experience stay with Crystal.

Celebrity has a very nice children's program and years ago when our children were young we took several Celebrity cruises. They have other nice attributes for the parents such as excellent service. But in terms of expectations it's not a luxury line so you can't compare the two. For example, the food in the main dining room will not come anywhere near to Crystal. Now, one option would be to get a suite and then eat in the specialty restaurants.

Again, it's a nice line but it's not going to compare to Crystal so you would be best not to make comparisons if you go this route so you won't be disappointed.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. We are planning to do an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity in June 2013 and have booked a suite. Unfortunately, this particular ship only has one specialty restaurant and our daughter will not be able to join us when we dine there (must be 12 years old). She would rather be with the kids and eat earlier anyway so that will work out.

I think you are correct and we are planning our future summer cruises on Crystal as long as our budget can handle it. :)

Thanks again for your help.

I wasn't telling you which line to book. If Crystal provides what you're looking for in a cruise, by all means, book a Crystal cruise. I think it's great that there are luxury lines out there that will cater to families with children.

All I was trying to say was that I'd heard Disney offers a great experience for adults and kids-- i.e.; high quality kids programs that allow adults to enjoy adult activities while their kids have a good time in a safe environment. I have never been on a Disney cruise or gone to Disney World and wouldn't choose to because I don't have children. But I do have a good friend who swears by Disney and claims their cruises are amazing.

As far as children's behavior on cruises, I agree that when they act up, their parents should be held accountable. Unfortunately, because luxury cruises cost a lot of money, sometimes the crew hesitate to address problems caused by kids. And that's not fair to the other passengers who have paid a lot of money for a luxury vacation that might be spoiled by kids running amok. But in all fairness to kids, sometimes adult passengers behave a lot worse than kids ever could.

• 4 weeks later...

We took our then 4 yo daughter on Regent Seven Seas Navigator during Xmas 2008. They had counselors onboard and took great care of the kids. They did not have dedicated children space but, they met them in a meeting room and they all appeared to be pretty pleased. As stated below, a good many of the luxury lines put counselors onboard during holiday cruises. Our experience (40+ cruises) has shown that generally, the more expensive the cruise, the children tend to be more cruise-experienced, better behaved, and low-key. Be prepared to entertain the kids on your own during down time for the counselors.

Sorry to say that's an unsubstantiated proposition. I have seen plenty of unruly kids on luxury lines. However, during the holidays it has become expected to see children (never used to be on lux lines) so I know enough NEVER to book a holiday cruise.

Archived