Getaway pics & thoughts - food, menus, Haven, entertainment, etc.

AttilaTheFun

Wanted to share a few thoughts and tons of pics with you all about the new Norwegian Getaway. I've been on Breakaway a couple times and have to say that in my opinion, Getaway is even more beautiful and really executes the Miami theme onboard very well. I'd say the ships are 90% identical and I made special effort to document the things that are different on Getaway vs. Breakaway. I also have some Haven pics to share for those of you who are interested.

The first difference you'll notice is the hull art! It's gorgeous and the colors are a bright, vibrant mix that's perfect for the Caribbean. The hull artist, David "Lebo" Le Batard is also very sweet and kind, unlike other hull artists we've encountered...

IMG_3766.JPG

(Apologies for the reflections in this photo - it was taken through glass)

I love the atrium chandeliers on Epic/Breakaway/Getaway and whereas Breakaway uses cylinder pieces, Getaway has hexagon-shaped pieces. It changes colors throughout the day/night as well.

IMG_3977.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

Fitness Center & Thermal Suite

I only have a couple pics of the private class rooms on Getaway that are used for pay classes like Flywheel and Fight Klub. I believe these features are identical to Breakaway.

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3813.JPG

The thermal suite is a section of the spa that spa suites/balconies have free access to, but everyone else must buy a pass. It's identical to Breakaway, but wanted to share some pictures anyway.

Whirlpool and massaging water jets (just press a button to activate)

IMG_3814.JPG

Heated tile loungers

IMG_3815.JPG

Padded loungers

IMG_3817.JPG

Salt bath

IMG_3816.JPG

Sports Complex

While nearly identical to Breakaway, Getaway's Sports Complex has a pirate theme to it (which even continues down to the SpongeBob splash area on the pool deck). The mini-golf course is re-themed to be a sunken pirate's ship and the ropes course has been painted to look like wood.

Ropes course

IMG_3885.JPG

Mini-golf course

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

IMG_3882.JPG

IMG_3878.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

Flamingo Bar & Grill

The Uptown Grill on Breakaway has been transformed into Flamingo Bar & Grill on Breakaway - a semi-outdoor grab-and-go counter near Spice H20. We were very impressed by the Cuban/Latin-inspired food offered at this venue, which is all complimentary.

Apologies, but I didn't get pictures of the actual venue, since it was too cold outside and Norwegian served the food in the buffet instead - something that won't need to happen once they get to Miami!

Flamingo Menu

yc78dqGBWshbft8tf3s7Fopq4O1QKwV9DiYnDRPZWbLj=w672-h896-no

Sandwich options

IMG_3855.JPG

EXCELLENT stuffed potato balls and chicken croquettes

IMG_3856.JPG

Other food options

IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

AMAZING tres leches cake and "meh" caramel custard

IMG_3875.JPG

I've never been a fan of the mega-ships, but for some reason, the Getaway has really piqued my curiosity and I'm planning to cruise on her! Thanks for the pictures.....and please keep them coming!

Main Dining Rooms - Lunch

Super-important Huge News: Norwegian is rolling out new menus in the Main Dining Rooms! The plan is to start with Breakaway and Getaway and expand fleetwide by some time in summer. As a semi-frequent Norwegian cruiser, this was great news, as I was growing tired of the old MDR options.

We had a chance to try lunch at Savor (although all MDRs are serving the same menu) and found the new options to be good to great. Apologies, but I did not get a chance to look at the breakfast menus to see if those were updated as well.

New lunch menu

IMG_3864.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

Scallops Gratin (bay scallops prepared like escargot, served with garlic bread)

IMG_3865.JPG

Popcorn Shrimp (a bit greasy, but good)

IMG_3866.JPG

Shrimp Burger (with onion straws, guacamole, pretzel bun and served with curly fries - excellent!)

IMG_3867.JPG

Chicken salad sandwich (served with corn relish and waffle fries - just average)

IMG_3869.JPG

Main Dining Rooms - Dinner

We did not have a chance to eat dinner in one of the MDRs, but they look near-identical to Breakaway. I took pictures of the two dinner menus they had on display and it looks like they may have merged the "always available" section into the main menu, rather than keeping it separated, and thus explains how they can offer 8 appetizers, 9 entrees, etc.

Dinner Menu #1

IMG_3900.JPG

IMG_3901.JPG

IMG_3902.JPG

Dinner Menu #2

IMG_3903.JPG

IMG_3904.JPG

IMG_3905.JPG

I see that you did not have dinner in the MDR; but we are sailing on the Getaway in March and were curious if you (or anyone else) have thoughts on the best nights (menus) to eat in the MDR (is there a lobster night, etc.). I know it is the MDR but we are trying to decide which specialty restaurants to book and on what night. Would hate to book a specialty restaurant on a given night and later find out that was "the" night you should have dined in the MDR. Thanks!

WOW

This is what I have been waiting for. Excellent pictures and review! Love the new menu changes. Everything looks great and I am rethinking the unlimited specialty restaurant option now. I saw several things that peaked my interest.

Thank you so much. I don't cruise for a year but you have really jump started my excitement. Keep it coming!!!!

P.S.

Thank you NCL for changing up the menus. The menu options are not just different. They are packed with several very delicious options.

Way to go!!!!!!

Edited by david_sobe

Loving this thread!! Thank you for so much information. Love the pictures and the new menu sounds great. As weird as this may sound we've never eaten in the MDR and already purchased the UDP but may change my mind. Thanks again for posting.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Youngest, not to hijack the thread, but... I think we had the same cabin on the Breakaway (different dates lol). 11910? How did you like it?

~Denise

we did! I loved it! Did you? Did you have Joemar as your steward? He was fabulous! I loved our balcony. And our robes. It was quiet down there and only heard the glow party one night from Spice, other than that it was quiet. Loved loved it. You???

we did! I loved it! Did you? Did you have Joemar as your steward? He was fabulous! I loved our balcony. And our robes. It was quiet down there and only heard the glow party one night from Spice, other than that it was quiet. Loved loved it. You???
Loved it too. Actually could see the fireworks from our balcony! I don't remember who are steward was. Did you book the same cabin for your Getaway cruise? We are movin' on up to the Haven :) Can't wait!!

~Denise