Lima (Callao) Peru

jhuntermartin

If you will be starting, ending, or arriving in Lima, Peru I want to provide information to the Cruise Critic Community.

HELLO FROM LIMA PERU I AM JIM A VETERAN CRUISER. Let me first say LIMA and Peru have been my home since November of 2006, my mom joined me in December of 2006. We came to Peru to visit friends and NEVER LEFT my mom and I call PERU our adopted country. This country is magic and I hope everybody who cruises will take the time to really enjoy your time here. I wish to provide some tips on enjoying your time here and give you some basic information.

ARRIVAL IN LIMA - Your ship will be arriving in Callao which is about one to one and half hours from the parts of Lima that will interest most visitors. Callao is not safe during the day let alone at night. BUT DO NOT LET THIS SCARE you because the Port Area is secured and is access controlled. When exiting the ship DO NOT BRING YOUR PASSPORT bring a Drivers License. Women should carry a small purse.

CURRENCY - Peru has it´s own currency called the Sole but Dollars are also used here. There are ATM Machines everywhere, GlobalNet which is owned by InterBank are the best machines to use and you can withdraw Soles or Dollars from them, the service charge is $1.50 USD and you can take up to $200 USD per transaction. You may also exchange Dollars with individuals who are called Cambistos or Cambistas who you will see near major intersections wearing Green Jackets. You negoiate the rate with them but it should be about .05 cents above what InterBank is giving. The GlobalNet Machines are located at every InterBank Office and they have offices in all Vivandias and Plaza Veas which are supermarkets. InterBank´s Website can be found at http://www.interbank.com.pe.

WHAT TO DO HERE - That is a loaded question it depends on you and the time you have here. For a one day stay try visiting the Gold Museum and YOU MUST TRY the cuisine here. Many Peruvians visit the US and claim they loose weight because they just don´t eat in the US, this small country has four distinct cuisines and I have never had anything I didn´t like.

Peru is home to Gaston Acurio who has restaurants all over the world and is the guru of Peruvian Cuisine. Checkout his website here http://www.astridygaston.com. His original restaurant here is in the Miraflores district which is one of the districts you want to see. His restaurants are expensive by Peruvian standards but are reasonable by American standards pricewise.

SHOPPING - The two things to buy here are Alpaca and Silver. Peru is home to the Alpaca and has some of largest silver deposits in the world. The craftsmanship is wonderful and unique. You must buy only from reputable stores to assure what you are buying is good silver and is real silver. Local handicrafts can be found in the several craft markets in the Miraflores District, they range from junk to some nice stuff.

Feel free to post your questions here and I will reply as time allows. I hope all of you enjoy the magic I have experienced here.

Thank you for your post about the magic of Lima. I would like to know what are the outstanding areas to see in Lima. You mention Mira Flores district. What about other areas or things to see/do? We will be in Lima for just one day in December. Is it best to take a taxi into town (direct from the ship, not from outside the gate) or to take a ship's excursion? Is it an easy "walking town"? If we take a taxi, would it be difficult to find one later in the day to return to the ship -- and could we return directly to the ship (not outside the gate)?

I would like to have more information, if possible. More exact info and details on the magic, please! Thank you very much.

Bev

Thank you for your post about the magic of Lima. I would like to know what are the outstanding areas to see in Lima. You mention Mira Flores district. What about other areas or things to see/do? We will be in Lima for just one day in December. Is it best to take a taxi into town (direct from the ship, not from outside the gate) or to take a ship's excursion? Is it an easy "walking town"? If we take a taxi, would it be difficult to find one later in the day to return to the ship -- and could we return directly to the ship (not outside the gate)?

I would like to have more information, if possible. More exact info and details on the magic, please! Thank you very much.

Bev

As a frequent business traveler to Lima, I certainly would not count on just any old taxi either at the port or from town returning to the port. Access is very restricted at the port-there is a taxi kiosk but when the "approved" taxis are gone, they are gone, so then you have to go outside the gate with all the iffy things that can happen in that part of Lima. You will have the same problems returning-MOST taxis are NOT allowed inside the port, so you will have to walk from the corner inside the port. NOT a place you want to be.

You should book a car and driver for the entire day or maybe even a tour (not something I recommend often). Go downtown to the Gold Museum, Plaza de Armas, the Cathedral, the San Francisco Monastery with the catacombs. Then head to Miraflores for the great ocean view from the Larco Mar shopping center, an absolutely fantastic Japanese restaurant on the lower floor, the Indian Market and a street that looks like Los Angeles in Spanish. This should take up the better part of your day if you are only making a port stop.

• 2 weeks later...
As a frequent business traveler to Lima, I certainly would not count on just any old taxi either at the port or from town returning to the port. Access is very restricted at the port-there is a taxi kiosk but when the "approved" taxis are gone, they are gone, so then you have to go outside the gate with all the iffy things that can happen in that part of Lima. You will have the same problems returning-MOST taxis are NOT allowed inside the port, so you will have to walk from the corner inside the port. NOT a place you want to be.

You should book a car and driver for the entire day or maybe even a tour (not something I recommend often). Go downtown to the Gold Museum, Plaza de Armas, the Cathedral, the San Francisco Monastery with the catacombs. Then head to Miraflores for the great ocean view from the Larco Mar shopping center, an absolutely fantastic Japanese restaurant on the lower floor, the Indian Market and a street that looks like Los Angeles in Spanish. This should take up the better part of your day if you are only making a port stop.

I have seen several of your postings, Greatam, so you are obviously the cc expert on Peru.

We will be on the Infinity calling in Callao on Tuesday 15th December. We have 9 hours available in port, but most of the ship's tours are only for three or four hours and we would like to have time to explore Lima well, preferably on our own or with a personal guide with plenty of free time. The ship's tours do not give us that and they are expensive.

From what you say about Callao, we need to be very careful. Last year in Recife, Brazil, we booked a private car, but he was not allowed inside the gatrs of the port and we have many worrying moments on disembarking, because we were only allowed to travel on the shuttle to the gate or on a tour.

Do you know of any private car companies or tour companies that we could contact that could arrange a custom day tour (and, most importantly, who are allowed in the port)?

Thank you for the warning. Our ship will be there in Feb '09,which I posted this post on our roll call.A passport is not required while in Lima if stopped by police for some reason? Maybe should take a photocopy with just in case?Don't need passport to get back on board? I am wondering of any GOOD tour operators in port too. Any info would be of help and for all our safety.--Diane

Bev

The pity of most cruise ships is they only stop here to and from South America. Though Holland America´s Rotterdam is beginning and ending a few cruises here this year. Me and my mom are thinking about the April 10th Sailing as I write this.

Any trip to Lima should include a visit to Central Lima and visit Plaza de Armas this is where Lima was founded the Government Palace is home of the Peruvian President. The changing of the guard happens at 11:45. Also on the same Plaza is the Cathedral Construction which took 58 years to complete and was rebuilt in the 1700´s after an earthquake. There is some religious art to see inside it too.

Walk about five minutes away and you have a real national treasure the Church and Covenant of San Fransico is it simply amazing and a miracle that it survived the earthquakers in 1687 and 1746. Much of it has been restored and they even have catacombs. Rumor has it that there are over 75,000 people there. The monastery has a huge library of 17th century books and other treasures.

To the east of the Plaza is the Torre Tagle Palace which is a fine example of Spanish Colonial architecture in Lima. The Foreign Ministry now occupies it which is why you see soliders with machine guns on the roof and a lot of security around it. Access is limited but you can still visit the Courtyard. The entry is an amazing carved stone and the wood balconies are of carved dark-wood. Access to the inner courtyard is unreliable it just depends on who is inside and what the security report of the day is.

FOR MUSEUM BUFFS

Museo de la Nacion - On the outside it looks awful almost like a concrete jungle, inside it is a well laid out and very informative museum that gives you a good history of the country from the Pre-Conquest cultures to the modern day. Peru has an interesting history and I really came to understand the country more after visiting. If you see one museum this is the one to see. Downside is it is located in San Borja which is a bit outside of the city center. Website is: http://inc.perucultural.org.pe/expo1.shtml

Museo Larco - This is located in Pueblo Libre and houses the largest collection of pre-Columbian ceramics in the world. The building that houses the collection itself is also intersting, it is 18th century colonial mansion. Website is: http://museolarco.perucultural.org.pe/iindex.html.

National Archaeology and Anthropology Museum - This is also located in Pueblo Libre. It houses the largest collection of artifacts from pre-Hispanic cultures in Peru. The Museum is also located in a very stately colonial mansion that was the home of the leaders of the struggle for Peru´s independence, Jose de San Martin and Simon Bolivar. Website is: http://museonacional.perucultural.org.pe/ingles/index.htm.

Museo Oro del Peru (Gold Museum) - This is located in Monterrico and is a private collection of Miguel Mujica. With that said this museum has had it´s troubles because it has been alleged that a lot of the items are fake. This still remains unresolved but none the less has other objects of interest. Many guidebooks don´t list this museum as an attraction because of the controversy about whether or not the gold objects are indeed gold. A Frommer´s Guidebook put it this way, "all that glitters ain´t necessarily gold". Website is http://www.museoroperu.com.pe/

NOW FOR SOME ARCHITECTURE

Barranco - I am into architecture and I considered buying an old home in the Barranco District which is like Adams Morgan in Washington DC, sort of a very artsy neighborhood. At one time, this is where you lived if you had money, today it has seen a major revival and has a fine collection of about every type of architecture primarily European and could also be worth a quick car tour too see. It also has a great collection of shops and restaurants. I found some images on Google and you should check these out. http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=barranco+lima&gbv=2&aq=0&oq=Barranco&aqi=g3.

TOUR OPERATORS

As I live here I do not really take tours but as a veteran cruiser I have found cruise ship tours to be overpriced and not all that informative. I don´t mean to sound arrogant but a bus with forty or so people does not work for me. A good friend of mine here had a daughter who worked for a tour operator and just said "get a driver".

I know several good drivers that I use for business and friends when they come and visit please feel free to email me for more specific information jhm680@gmail.com. The drivers I would refer to you would speak near perfect English and know how to give tours, take you to the right places to buy what you want and get the Peruvian price. They use new vehicles and that is important here, in two years that new car in Peru is not new at all, the roads are awful here in Lima and in the Provinces they are even worse.

If you coming in the summer and want a day at the beach that is possible too. The best beaches close to Lima are to the south and are about 2 hours from Callao.

WHERE IS THE MAGIC

The magic of Peru is the people, life style, and food. Peruvian Food is finally get it's well deserved place in the World of Food. Gastón Acurio´s latest Cookbook was or still is on the New York Times Best Seller List and his restaurants here are incredible. In my opinion any trip to Lima must include a meal here and you have several great options with restaurants once again feel free to email me and introduce yourself and I will help. You can try Peruvian Cuisine or any other world known cuisine here and the meal will be excellent and the prices cheap by US Standards.

Another option to experience the real flavor of Peru is Dinner in a Local Home and I arranged a few of those for visitors. Remember families are very close and extended here so the Dining Rooms are big in most Peruvian Homes so I know a few retired ladies who love to cook and will be more than happy to host you and it's cheap like $12 per person. They are incredible hosts some speak English others don´t but all are real charmers and just warm people.

Last year I hosted a group for Lunch at my apartment my Housekeeper Alexandria needed some extra cash and it turned out to be a ball. She was astounded that people would pay her $8 a head for a traditional Peruvian Meal. I now live in all the way out La Molina and that is a really far drive from where the ships dock so No More Lunches with Alexandria. If you want to experience some real fun go to a restaurant that has a show and serves a meal during the show there is a great one in the Miraflores District at La Comar called La Dama Juana web: http://www.ladamajuana.com.pe

If you are into Silver Jewelry or Silver Flatware you want to visit a few of our great retailers who sell these items. The silver here is good and the craftsmanship is incredible. Gold items are incredible too. There is also Silver combined with exotic woods for bowls, serving items, statues, and many other things. I just eyed a piece I like at a well known, reputable retailer and I have it on reserve.

The Craft Markets can be good too but you need to be careful which ones you visit because some have very low quality items while others have good quality items too.

Edited by jhuntermartin

Our ship is stopping in San Martin New Years Day 2010 and some of us would like to arrange a small plane to fly over the Nazca lines. Can't seem to find an operator on-line yet.

Any leads, recommendations, or contact info welcome....

• 3 weeks later...
We will be on the Infinity calling in Callao on Tuesday 15th December. We have 9 hours available in port, but most of the ship's tours are only for three or four hours and we would like to have time to explore Lima well, preferably on our own or with a personal guide with plenty of free time. The ship's tours do not give us that and they are expensive. From what you say about Callao, we need to be very careful. Last year in Recife, Brazil,

Do you know of any private car companies or tour companies that we could contact that could arrange a custom day tour (and, most importantly, who are allowed in the port)?

Some very good information here, thank you! :D

We are on the same cruise and looking for something of the same. Best if we have a driver, not a tour guide (we do our own research, and we like to give directions for what we want to see AND we speak Spanish). A museum or two, the main historical buildings, church, the Indian market sounds lovely.

Maybe Miines would care to share info.? You can always e-mail us at:

Asir <dot> Alessoner <at> Malmo <dot> com

and then we can switch to the secure e-mail address. ;)

Any more suggestions from the near-natives here is most welcome.

We read a warning from the Italian government of states of emergency in Cuzco (and other) province.

http://www.viaggiaresicuri.it/index.php?id=322&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=4432&no_cache=1

So we feel suffiently aware of the need for precaution.

We were on a cruise that stopped in Recife in 2007. While we took a tour, we then wandered around on our own. We were extremely prepared, and very stressed out over what we read about crime. :( But all went well. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

My husband and I and 5 other people are looking for a full day tour of lima from the port we willbe on Infinity Can anyone recommend a Driver that can do a full day tour with lunch. I have tried a few of the tour operators and they want payment in advance and I will not pay in advance what happens if the ship doesn't stop or there is a problem??

If anyone can help us out with a driver and tour please email me at the following:

jkoehler1@ec.rr.com

Having been to Lima a couple of times, don't miss a visit to PARDOS Chicken Restaurants, a few of them around the city, one out near the Gold Museum. YUM. Also try the best local beer Cusquena.

Edited by NSWP

Hello,

We were on the Radiance of the Seas in April of 2009 and visited Lima. We took a ship's tour as it wasn't very expensive and it was a good tour. Sometimes a ship's tour is best especially when the main city like Lima is not close to the port. i agree though that if you can find a driver and guide that it is the best way to see Lima.

I would also see the University of the Americas as the architecture is very interesting.

Having ben to Lima a couple of times and stayed in the City for a month or so..the traffic is chaotic, out of control, better off with a ship's shorex. There are some wild drivers in Lima, trust me, many of whom do not possess a drivers licence, let alone registration and insurance on their vehicles.

Edited by NSWP

• 4 weeks later...

Mr. Martin, I am glad that you are posting on South America as your postings have been great. We travelled with you and your mother last year on the Infinity. By the way how is her surgery going... fully recovered?

We had spent a day in Lima last year and are now coming back for a week. Can you provide any suggests of silver shops? or any other suggestions after doing the regular tourist stops. We are going on a bike ride of Lima and then?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don Dayton

Hi,

Now that someone asked I can recomend a driver that I used. His name is Able Morante. He speaks very good english, has a nice car and charged us $10 per hour last year while we were on the amsterdam sailing from San Diego to Rio. We overnighted in Callao. So we used him for two days. His email is able_morante@hotmail.com .

We did the first day in the suburbs and dinner at a very nice rest called Huaca Pudlana. It is near some old inca ruins that are lit up at night. He also recomened something I never saw before and that was the water fountain park. I can put up some pictures if anyone wants or you can look up post of mine fron earlier this year.

I loved Lima. So much history. It was also my 100th country. So it means a lot to me.

Enjoy your cruises.

Jeffrey

Yes, there is a Sterns shuttle to thier store in Miraflores. However there is not much else near the Marriott that one might go to Lima for. I do recomend that you do either a car or take a tour.

Jeffrey

We have just returned from Cusco/ Macchu Pichu and would like to thank greatam for the acurate and very useful advice she gave during our planning stage. We had a wonderful time there and would be happy to answer any questions from knowledge gained through our experience there.

• 2 weeks later...

woodley,

DW and I plan to visit in June. I would love to hear more of your thoughts on your trip and suggestions for things not to miss. I'd gladly welcome an email if you have the time.

jhuntermartin,

Glad to see you here. We met you on the Orchestra roll call last December and would like to get some of your ideas as to things to do in Lima. We will be there for a couple of days before and after visiting Macchu Pichu. I still have your email address from the roll call, so when we get closer to time I may contact you for suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I and 5 other people are looking for a full day tour of lima from the port we willbe on Infinity Can anyone recommend a Driver that can do a full day tour with lunch. I have tried a few of the tour operators and they want payment in advance and I will not pay in advance what happens if the ship doesn't stop or there is a problem??

If anyone can help us out with a driver and tour please email me at the following:

jkoehler1@ec.rr.com

We just got back from a cruise to Lima. We hired Monica Tours before we left home and we were very impressed with her services. There were 4 of us on a private tour with a driver and an English speaking guide (Cecilia) in a new air-conditioned mini-van. She went where we wished to go, suggested places, etc. etc. Charge was $20 per hour. Her website is www.monicatoursperu.com

• 3 weeks later...

I will be sailing on the Veendam October 10, 2010 thru November 14, 2010 with a Port of Call in Lima on 26-27 October 2010. This is a perfect cruise for us as we are going to be in the states in early October and I have always wanted to do a full transit of the Panama Canal and go around the tip of South America. I am sorry that I have been slow to respond to recent emails for information but work has really tied me down. Please feel free to email me at jhm680@gmail.com and put "LIMA INFORMATION" in the subject line so your email doesn´t get trashed automatically.

Edited by jhuntermartin

I had written in my original post about getting money here thru ATM´s and just stumbled on to something. If you have a Bank of America or Scotia Bank Canada ATM Card you can use them at Scotia Bank here which has ATM´s all over Lima without paying a fee due to an alliance that Bank of America belongs to that includes Scotia Bank. The withdrawal limit is $500 USD per day and withdrawals can be made in US Dollars or the Peruvian Soles. ATM´s for Scotia can be found in their offices which they have plenty of, at the airport, and all major shopping venues. Scotia Bank also has major operations in Chile for those of you taking cruises out of or into Chile. I believe Scotia Bank withdrew from Argentina during their economic crisis in 2002.