Why do people go shopping on vacation?

cibumcupio

This is a question that I've been wondering about for a while. And in general too, not just for cruising. This board is pretty active so I thought I would post it here. Why do you go shopping when you are on vacation? I understand if you need to buy some gifts for people. Or you forgot to bring something and you need to go buy it. But I don't understand the shopping as an activity thing. If you have such limited time in port, why would you spend it shopping? You can shop anywhere. And often the things that you can buy are not even from that port. Like in Venice there are these glass trinkets everywhere, but they are all made in China. And even if there are things that are unique to that port, aren't there much more unique things to do there than shopping?

I was talking about this with my husband during our last cruise, and he had a theory that maybe some people see shopping as a way to remember a place. Like if you buy something, even something that you can buy anywhere, in this specific port, it will help you remember that port more when you see that item. And that will give you good memories.

Curious to see what responses people will have. :o If you are someone who does look for shopping opportunities when you travel, I would really like to hear your side.

This is a question that I've been wondering about for a while. And in general too, not just for cruising. This board is pretty active so I thought I would post it here. Why do you go shopping when you are on vacation? I understand if you need to buy some gifts for people. Or you forgot to bring something and you need to go buy it. But I don't understand the shopping as an activity thing. If you have such limited time in port, why would you spend it shopping? You can shop anywhere. And often the things that you can buy are not even from that port. Like in Venice there are these glass trinkets everywhere, but they are all made in China. And even if there are things that are unique to that port, aren't there much more unique things to do there than shopping?

I was talking about this with my husband during our last cruise, and he had a theory that maybe some people see shopping as a way to remember a place. Like if you buy something, even something that you can buy anywhere, in this specific port, it will help you remember that port more when you see that item. And that will give you good memories.

Curious to see what responses people will have. :o If you are someone who does look for shopping opportunities when you travel, I would really like to hear your side.

We used to buy the crappy souvenirs. But now we buy nothing. But we lie to avoid problems in customs. The time we claimed nothing, they questioned our kids on how many times they have cruised. When they heard, they let us pass. Better to falsely claim a tshirt and some crap then to get questioned.

I only buy what we consume on the ship and in the ports.

I never understood the shopping thing either, particularly when the ports are interesting and there is so much to see. On a trip years ago to Venice, there was a young couple who did nothing but shop. When I said that my niece and I took a gondola ride, the young woman said "Everyone on the gondolas looked bored." The couple stopped at every Hard Rock Café so that they could bring back T-shirts from each country. I just don't get it!

On all of my trips - so far I have been to 24 countries and of course the amount of cities multiply - I try to find a normal supermarket to see how people there actually live, eat and consume. I observe what they put in their shopping cart to see whats good and popular. Positively spying them!

I usually bring home something to taste, some dry food, like tea, coffee, bisquits, pasta etc, something that will not need to be in cold. I dont get cheap souveniers except for fridge magnet. I might need second fridge as Im running out of space on the door soon.

But food is probably not what you meant with shopping.

You could say the same kinds of things about any activity though... "Why would you go for a hike here when you could walk around the block at home, why not use the time doing <insert activity of choice>"

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You could say the same kinds of things about any activity though... "Why would you go for a hike here when you could walk around the block at home, why not use the time doing <insert activity of choice>"

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree. Some people like shopping. While shopping you can see a city and enjoy the culture, food, and drink of a place. Some like riding a lame roller coaster on Labadee. Why would someone ride a jetski when they can do that at home? Why would they go to the beach? The list is endless. Different people like different things, simple as that. Shoppers don't need to defend or explain "their side" any more than beach goers or museum visitors:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

I go shopping on vacation because the item or piece of clothing is a tangible memory of that place. If it goes on display in my home every time I pass it I get a reminder of that trip or that place. I do enjoy other activities as well and don't go crazy with the shopping, but I do treasure the items I have picked up overseas.

On vacation, you know where DH and I go if we can? Grocery store. True! We love to see the various goods for sale in other countries, and compare prices. It's interesting for us. :) Prices are cheaper too than at the stores at the pier. I think we've been to a grocery store in almost every single port we've ever gone to, and on land vacations too.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Shoppers don't need to defend or explain "their side" any more than beach goers or museum visitors:rolleyes:

You're right, you don't need to. But it would be nice if you did. :) I'm not saying that it's wrong to shop, it's just not my preference and I would like to better understand people who do.

As for why people do any activity, they all have their reasons. Some I understand, like hiking (the view is unique to that area) or eating the local food. But others I don't, and I would like to. Been curious about it for a long time, so here I am to ask. I'm also guessing that people have different reasons for liking the same activity. Maybe some people like the memories of the particular item they bought. Or some just like the activity itself, period, and will want to do it wherever and whenever they can. I don't know. And maybe there are others that I haven't even considered. It just seems like it's a pretty big activity (or bigger than it seems, from all of the hard sells cruise lines put on about shopping in ports--also don't understand people using vacation time to listen to a shopping lecture).

On that note, I also like stop by grocery stores when I travel. I like to see what their prices are and what kind of things people eat. And sometimes I'll buy some foods there as gifts.

Edited by cibumcupio

Shopping is in women's blood like going to the bar is in men's blood. :rolleyes:

We were in port in Puerto Vallarta several years ago. That night the comedian in the theater asked for a show of hands as to who went shopping at the WalMart across the street from the port and I was astounded at the number of hands that went up!

We like to walk around after our shore excursion to see what is being offered window shopping but a magnet for our refrigerator and a tshirt for our DGD is about it. To the shopaholics I say shop on!

Well I shop for souvenirs for people but aside from that my shopping is in 2 categories:

1) Duty free items. If I am looking for an electronics item or a watch or something I will buy it on the ship or in port (if the store is reputable aka on the official shopping guide) to get a better deal. For instance: I am looking for a new camera so I will print prices and specifications for several models I have narrowed the list down to and buy one of those in port or in the ship if the price is better.

2) Shopping can be a neat "excursion" if you don't want to do a structured one from the ship or outside vendor. For example I may give myself a mission like "Find the best wood carving in town" or "Find the best handmade art in town" and in trying to complete that mission you get a chance to go to several different places and interact with several different locals. Some people even do "Find the best Pina Coloada" etc...

When we go on vacation, no matter where it is, we look for a a Christmas ornament from the area to remember the vacation. If it is a cruise, we may try to get an ornament from multiple ports if time allows.

I also look for a Coke bottle or can showing that it was bottled outside the USA. My grandfather worked for the Coca Cola company, and I have been collecting Coke bottles since I was a kid. I haven't been able to travel too much, but I have bottles from almost 10 countries now

On our Alaska cruise we did a helicopter tour in one port and then went into town to look around and did some shopping in an antique store. The items we saw were unique, facinating and many were not items we would encounter at home. we didnt buy anything but it was fun to look.

At another port we spent the majority of the day on tours and did some shopping in local owned businesses specifically to look at Alaskan hand made items.

We are going on a cruise next month. We have tours planned for two of the ports and will probably do some shopping for local handcrafted items while there too.

People like to do different things. I like to do cultural tours, vistit places where I can take photos and also to look in stores at local handcrafted items. Some people like to go to the beach and sit all day in the sun. Not my cup of tea but more power to them!

You're right, you don't need to. But it would be nice if you did. :) I'm not saying that it's wrong to shop, it's just not my preference and I would like to better understand people who do.

As for why people do any activity, they all have their reasons. Some I understand, like hiking (the view is unique to that area) or eating the local food. But others I don't, and I would like to. Been curious about it for a long time, so here I am to ask. I'm also guessing that people have different reasons for liking the same activity. Maybe some people like the memories of the particular item they bought. Or some just like the activity itself, period, and will want to do it wherever and whenever they can. I don't know. And maybe there are others that I haven't even considered. It just seems like it's a pretty big activity (or bigger than it seems, from all of the hard sells cruise lines put on about shopping in ports--also don't understand people using vacation time to listen to a shopping lecture).

On that note, I also like stop by grocery stores when I travel. I like to see what their prices are and what kind of things people eat. And sometimes I'll buy some foods there as gifts.

Really why? .....:rolleyes:

There is no doubt that you can find whatever you are looking at on Amazon for cheaper. Unless it is unique like a bottle of wine from a Tuscany winery that isn't available in the U.S. :D <guilty>

Therefore I don't shop unless something jumps out at me. Case in point, while in China I saw this very cute Iphone case so I bought it. But I wanted to see if I paid a good price so went to search online. Sure enough the same exact one was on amazon (also made in China). Selling for the what I paid, so I was good with that.

And for the person who doesn't declare purchases to Customs???? You get an $800 exemption ($1600 combined for two of you). There is no reason to lie to Customs. You do not need to detail you declaration if you are under your exemption.

I don't understand why this is even a question.

The assumption behind your question is that you can easily buy back home whatever is available at the ports. This is simply not true. If this is not your assumption, then the answer is obvious.

Edited by Toddcan

We shop A LOT on vacation, but moreso on a land vacation than a cruise. As a guide, most consumer goods cost 2 to 3 times as much in Australia as they do in the US. On my last trip over I bought a vitamix for just under US$400 - it retails here for about AUD$1100 (AUD$1 = roughly US90c)

Clothes are also much less expensive, we buy all my DH's suits when we're traveling.

When on a cruise we like to get a fridge magnet from each port :)

Memories fade ... unless you have something tangible to spark them.

We rarely sit down at a mutual computer screen to click through the pictures of any given cruise. But when we decorate the Christmas tree, there are numerous times when an ornament starts an excited conversation about the fun we had on a particular trip.

Aside from that, shopping is one of the best ways to get some local currency. I often find that store clerks pretend they don't have any ... until you're making a purchase ... and then you can generally get change in local currency. And, if you really want something that was made in a particular country, local currency generally fits that requirement. :)

However, I can guarantee you that shopping never qualifies as the highlight of any given trip. It's always an amazing excursion that features a lot of activity. But the trinket we bought on the trip will remind us of that experience ... we touch it and smile ... and for a few moments we step back in time ...

We buy a Christmas ornament from every port. It's the only "must have" on our shopping list. In some ports, we haven't been able to find one but we found a cute pair of little dutch shoes on a string in one port and it hangs prominently on the tree. We even managed to find a hand carved ornament in Turkey that an elderly man was selling. He only had two and we bought both. We are limited to cruising during the summer months, so when it's cold outside and we put the tree up, we get a nice reminder of the warm weather and the fun we had in each port and how many days until our next cruise. Some of them are totally cheesy, some are ornaments we would never have chosen at home but represent something we thought was funny when we saw them. Our tree is covered with the wonderful ports and memories. It's inexpensive, takes up very little room in the luggage and wouldn't mean anything to anyone other than us.

On all of my trips - so far I have been to 24 countries and of course the amount of cities multiply - I try to find a normal supermarket to see how people there actually live, eat and consume. I observe what they put in their shopping cart to see whats good and popular. Positively spying them!

I usually bring home something to taste, some dry food, like tea, coffee, bisquits, pasta etc, something that will not need to be in cold. I dont get cheap souveniers except for fridge magnet. I might need second fridge as Im running out of space on the door soon.

But food is probably not what you meant with shopping.

Shopping is a sport LOL, locally or in other countries, finding a good deal,(rarely in the Caribbean) but finding something unusual to wear not available in the states, is fun. We consider ourselves world travelers, a lot of travel through cruises but much also on our own, however once you get out of the tourist sports, especially in Europe, lot of good shopping in markets. As quote, we always hit the super markets and markets for spices etc. and I can tell you that spices even the common ones are better in other place, such as India, the spices from a local indian market are fabulous.

Different people like different things. Personally I don't get those that bring stuffed animals on their cruises and take photos of them everywhere or those that will sit in a Señor Frogs and drink the port away but whatever floats their boats. I don't do a lot if shopping but will look around in a few shops to find a shirt for our DS.

Have a collection of small local water colors from various ports and keep collecting- if we see something reasonable. These are light (no frame, just mat) and easy to carry- and such good mementos.

We don't spend much time shopping, as we like to do beach and nature excursions- but this is a reason we shop sometimes on a cruise.