Best Belize excursion-need input

CrewsII

We are taking our first cruise and Belize in on our itenerary. What is the best excursion? Or can you go somewhere on your own that is fun? We love to go to the beach or do something adventurous. We are not shoppers or sight seers really. But if something is highly recommended then we would consider it.

We are taking our first cruise and Belize in on our itenerary. What is the best excursion? Or can you go somewhere on your own that is fun? We love to go to the beach or do something adventurous. We are not shoppers or sight seers really. But if something is highly recommended then we would consider it.

Belize is one port you should not venture out on your own. I would definately book an excursion through the cruiseline.

We did this a few years back. Cave tubing with Major Tom. Great guy and the tour was fabulous. No need to do a ship tour. This tour is safe.

http://www.cave-tubingdotnet

Edited by Sky616

The cave tubing is a good excursion. I've done it twice. The first time, I loved it. The second time, I thought it was just ok. The biggest negative about it is the loooong bus ride getting to and from the river. Also, it's the most popular excursion so it is very crowded at the lauch point, especially if there are multiple ships that day. But what I really didn't like about it the second time was, with it being so crowded now, they keep the groups together by linking all the inner tubes together. They do this by making everyone put their feet on the tube in front of them, and the person in front has to lock their feet under their armpits. This means you have someone else's wet feet next to your head the entire time.

I was just in Belize a few days ago and this time, I did the barrier reef snorkling and island beach break. It was excellent and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Either way, don't go it alone. Belize City is pretty rough and not a place to just go wander around on your own.

I highly recommend ziplining. On the ride to and from you get to see some of the beautiful country that Belize is and then zip through the rain forest. We did it through belizecruiseexcursions.com. Comes with a great Belizean meal after the ziplining.

Just back on the Carnival Sunshine. I was a single/ solo cruiser mid 40 male.

I booked the Shark Ray Alley Snorkel via Shore Excursioneers by Air.

Tendering was slow to the port and I missed my original 8:30 flight to San Pedro/Ambergris Caye. This was not a problem as the excursion just started a little later as I caught the 9:30. Approx 15 minute plane ride to San Pedro. Met at the airport by Canton our guide and walked to the Aqua Scuba Center on the beach. Once paperwork was taken care of, we were off!!

First stop - Hol Chan Marine Reserve. During our 45 minute snorkel we spotted moray eel, southern rays, spotted eagle rays, several sea turtles and a fairly large barracuda. More fish than I can remember.

Second Stop was at a conch cleaning spot where a local fishermen was tossing the conch from it's shell to a waiting Loggerhead Turtle. Spotted 3-5 rays in this area as well.

Last Stop was at Shark Ray Alley. Wow!!! On arrival Canton threw several chopped up fish overboard and in no time there were between 15-25 Nurse sharks competing for lunch with other fish and rays. The largest one's were between 9 and 10 feet. We hopped in and over the next 30 minutes were surrounded by these beautiful (and docile) creatures. Just don't put a finger out for them to suck up. They are much like catfish in their disposition and feeding technique. The grand finale was a large spotted eagle ray turning vertical and launching itself about 5-6 feet up and out of the water to try and remove a pesky remora.

5 out of 5 stars for the company (shore excursioneer) the service provider (Aqua Scuba) and the guide Canton).

Going by air also leaves time to grab lunch at a beachfront restaurant before heading back to Belize City, the port and then your ship. Water taxing out takes approximately 75-90 minutes each way.

Do not miss this experience!

Originally scheduled to catch a 8:30 am (Belize time) flight to San Pedro.

Ended up on the 9:30 flight, met at airport by Canton, walked to Aqua Scuba and did paperwork. We were heading out at approximately 10:10 am and spent 2- 2 1/2 hours snorkeling. Got back around 12:30. Had lunch and had the opportunity to choose my return time (flight available on the hour ) to Belize City. I chose the 2 pm so I could grab lunch and wander a little. Could easily have chosen the 3 pm as I did not need to retender until 5 pm.

The cost was $130 per person.

It was a fantastic excursion and I would un hesitatingly recommend it!

• 2 weeks later...
Just back on the Carnival Sunshine. I was a single/ solo cruiser mid 40 male.

I booked the Shark Ray Alley Snorkel via Shore Excursioneers by Air.

Tendering was slow to the port and I missed my original 8:30 flight to San Pedro/Ambergris Caye. This was not a problem as the excursion just started a little later as I caught the 9:30. Approx 15 minute plane ride to San Pedro. Met at the airport by Canton our guide and walked to the Aqua Scuba Center on the beach. Once paperwork was taken care of, we were off!!

First stop - Hol Chan Marine Reserve. During our 45 minute snorkel we spotted moray eel, southern rays, spotted eagle rays, several sea turtles and a fairly large barracuda. More fish than I can remember.

Second Stop was at a conch cleaning spot where a local fishermen was tossing the conch from it's shell to a waiting Loggerhead Turtle. Spotted 3-5 rays in this area as well.

Last Stop was at Shark Ray Alley. Wow!!! On arrival Canton threw several chopped up fish overboard and in no time there were between 15-25 Nurse sharks competing for lunch with other fish and rays. The largest one's were between 9 and 10 feet. We hopped in and over the next 30 minutes were surrounded by these beautiful (and docile) creatures. Just don't put a finger out for them to suck up. They are much like catfish in their disposition and feeding technique. The grand finale was a large spotted eagle ray turning vertical and launching itself about 5-6 feet up and out of the water to try and remove a pesky remora.

5 out of 5 stars for the company (shore excursioneer) the service provider (Aqua Scuba) and the guide Canton).

Going by air also leaves time to grab lunch at a beachfront restaurant before heading back to Belize City, the port and then your ship. Water taxing out takes approximately 75-90 minutes each way.

Do not miss this experience!

I have been to Belize probably 7-8 times. I have done I think everything but the ruins.

This is by far THE BEST EXCURSION.

I did the same excursion early November with Canton and this was the best snorkeling experience. My DW snorkeled here for the first time ever, and had no problems.

If you enjoy snorkeling, I doubt you would get a better experience....anywhere....

And the flight over and back was pretty kewl too. :)

Belize is one port you should not venture out on your own. I would definately book an excursion through the cruiseline.

There are so many local reputable vendors that there is absolutely no reason to have to waste money with the cruiseline if you do your research on here. Most people on here can suggest a great company.

OP, we have done the cave tubing twice now and love it. It's very interesting and you get to see a lot of things. It's something that you really don't get to do anywhere else, so a great experience. I have 2 reviews listed in my signature line if you are interested. They have tons of pictures included.

We just returned a few weeks ago and this time in Belize we did the shark ray alley. Simply amazing and a great trip. Plenty of sharks and rays...how's that for adventure. :D I just finished my review on it with TONS of pictures. Let me know if interested in the link since I don't have it listed in my signature yet.

In Belize you are best off booking with the ship or a reputable independent and not wondering around on your own. ;)

Going out by boat/catamaran to snorkel in the Barrier Reef is awesome. (2nd largest barrier reef in the world) :)

LuLu

Can you recommend a private company to visit the Barrier Reef?

who did you use?

The cave tubing is a good excursion. I've done it twice. The first time, I loved it. The second time, I thought it was just ok. The biggest negative about it is the loooong bus ride getting to and from the river. Also, it's the most popular excursion so it is very crowded at the lauch point, especially if there are multiple ships that day. But what I really didn't like about it the second time was, with it being so crowded now, they keep the groups together by linking all the inner tubes together. They do this by making everyone put their feet on the tube in front of them, and the person in front has to lock their feet under their armpits. This means you have someone else's wet feet next to your head the entire time.

I was just in Belize a few days ago and this time, I did the barrier reef snorkling and island beach break. It was excellent and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Either way, don't go it alone. Belize City is pretty rough and not a place to just go wander around on your own.

Hi PAUL! Long time no see!

Did you do that barrier reef excursion with RC? We are going to Belize soon and looking for an excursion. Any advice would be great.

Haven't seen you on FB, did you leave?

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for snorekling that is perhaps a bit more respectful of the wildlife? No offense, but I'd prefer not to use operators that chum the water, allow or encourge guests to touch the animals, etc. My mindset comes from most of my snorkeling experience off Hawaii where that kind of activity is highly looked down upon (and illegal).

They do this by making everyone put their feet on the tube in front of them, and the person in front has to lock their feet under their armpits. This means you have someone else's wet feet next to your head the entire time.

Ok so we now can mark that one off the list! Ha!

Ok so we now can mark that one off the list! Ha!

They do this by making everyone put their feet on the tube in front of them, and the person in front has to lock their feet under their armpits. This means you have someone else's wet feet next to your head the entire time.

TOTALLY WRONG!! Maybe if it was several years ago you would have done this, but they no longer have you put your feet in someones armpits. They upgraded the tubes and they link together with safety clips. They did this several years back. ;) :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
TOTALLY WRONG!! Maybe if it was several years ago you would have done this, but they no longer have you put your feet in someones armpits. They upgraded the tubes and they link together with safety clips. They did this several years back. ;) :cool:

They linked us feet to armpit June 2014. Maybe some companies don't, but we did.

Mitsugirly, I've enjoyed your reviews. My only complaint is that you haven't reviewed Goff's Caye yet, lol!!!:p

They linked us feet to armpit June 2014. Maybe some companies don't, but we did.

Mitsugirly, I've enjoyed your reviews. My only complaint is that you haven't reviewed Goff's Caye yet, lol!!!:p

Just wondering, who did you use for the cave tubing? Was it the cruise line? If so, that explains it. I haven't seen any of the normal vendors in Belize linking feet in armpits for a few years.

Some day I plan on making it to Goffs Caye (and Rendezvous Cay as well). I just need more time and money to go back now. :D