Help with Upgrade/Upsell with NCL

dorothyl

My TA is gone away as of today for 2 week vacation.I want to upgrade/upsell from a AG to AD.Before she went she told me she tried for an AD and could not get it for less than $750pp xtra.

It is NCLs rule to deal with TA direct and she is now gone.When I spoke to NCL today they said if I wait 2 weeks there will be nothing to upgrade me to.

I know by following this board my upgrade should be a better price.

I understand the problems those have had with NCL customer service but is there a way to handle my own negotiations with the reaccomadations desk because I think I could negotiate a better price?

Usually when my TA goes on vacation she leaves the number of another TA who will handle any problems or concerns while she is gone.... did she leave a person to cover for her? Or... just call the agency.... they should have someone that can help you.

My TA works hr own agency and booked my cruise through a mother company Encore.The NCL rep yesterday told me that mhoever is debating price for me could have me on the phone while they debated price on another with NCL.

Not only was this not offered when I asked my TA if I could call Encore while she was gone she said "no they have to work through her".

I know an AG mini is a good room I just wanted to surprise my husband with a better suite but I knowthat $750.00pp to move up 2 levels is far too high.

Last year I had the same problem. About 2 weeks before the cruise, my TA went away on vacation. I was looking to upgrade/upsell to a better cabin, and had learned from these boards that a few days before sailing was the best time to call NCL, and if there were any upgrades available you could manage to get a decent price.

I called NCL directly, myself, and explained that my TA was away on vacation, and that I was interested in an upgrade/sell. The women was very helpful, and offered me my choice of 2 different balcony cabins. I told her I would call right back. Lo and behold, the minute I hung up, the phone rang, and it was my TA calling from his vacation telling me that he was able to get me a balcony cabin. LOL LOL I guess NCL called him on his cell phone. I told him I knew, because I had called NCL myself and they had offered me the same upgrade.

To make a long story short, we did end up taking the upgrade from a inside cabin on deck 8 to a balcony cabin on deck 10 for $100.00pp more.

So if you TA is away on vacation, call NCL themselves and ask. I have also read here that if you don't get help the first time, call again, maybe you will be able to reach someone who will want to sell you that upgrade :)

Good Luck

Debbie

There is a reason that the cruise lines will only deal with your TA. Can you imagine what would happen if everyone who booked with a TA then contacted the cruise line and started changing around their reservation? The TA would never know who is sailing in what cabin and at what price and what extras such as airfare, transfers, etc. had been contracted. A good TA will always have someone covering for them while they are away, just like a good physician.

LOL well then I guess I put alot more research into finding a good physican then I do a TA, because there was no one eles covering for him. Used an online site which refered me to him, and I think he does his business from his home.

Used the same guy this year (prices were excellent) and will probably do the same thing again, call NCL a few days before sailing.....we are going around the same time as last year, and I think he will be on vacation again hehe

Debbie

Dorothy.. you might lose the chance to upgrade period if you don't move on this one. Are the higher suites still showing available??

750.00pp is a lot of money for 2 categories IMO... I think I would go for the AG.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide. :)

Casshew

I already have the AG, and yes the higher suites are not only still available but are being upsold.On another post here someone go an upsell from BA to AD for $250pp.Thats what I would like to do also.

Now it is just how to do it? My TA also works alone with her own business and left no one to help.

After reading the different responses from people here maybe I will try NCL again.

Dorothy

CALL NCL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have nothing to lose right, and if the first person doesn't seem to be able to or want to help you.....call back and talk to someone eles :)

Let me know how you make out

Debbie

Is there a particular person or dept at NCL I can call? My TA is not on vacation, but I don't have a sense she is working very hard for me. I asked about getting bumped back up into a balcony cabin (we're one of those POA people who got bumped down from a BE Balcony to a K Inside when America went down and Aloha took it's place) and she said there was only a suite available for $4,000pp more than what we're paying. I have not seen any balcony's for sale, so I can't really say if the ship is just booked up or if my TA isn't trying very hard.

So, who do you call?

Thanks for the help.

Laura

lbryant

I don't think my TA was working to hard to get me the best upsell.When the price dropped before our final payment I had to call her, she had no idea.She altered the rate but told me she normally charges for changes but this time she would not.

Thank you for the number. I just checked some online cruise outlets and saw there were a couple of balconies being sold for our cruise. My TA did not know about these availabilities and NCL has not contacted us to re-instate us into the balcony we originally reserved. Don't know what's up with that, but will give the re-accomodation person a call and see what they say.

Thanks - Laura

I spoke with a very nice woman named Maggie (800-625-4309 ext 7130) in the NCL Re-accomodation office. She said the balcony cabins we saw for sale on the internet were blocks of rooms reserved by the travel agencies, and so NCL could not book them or upgrade passengers to them because in essence, they are inventory NCL has classified as "reserved" (which makes sense to me). She said often a few weeks before departure, if the travel agency does not sell the rooms, they are kicked back to NCL, who can then sell or upgrade existing passengers. So I'll call back then.

There apparently is a waiting list for those passengers who were downgraded in room category in the move from one ship to the other and we were told we are on that list (where on the list, I have no idea). I'll keep hoping for the upgrade (which really is more of a re-instate as opposed to an upgrade I guess) and in the meantime try to get used to the idea of the inside. Insides are fine, I've had them before, but had really dreamed of spending that cruise in a balcony room. I'm finding that hope difficult to let go of.

Again, thank you for the phone number and encouragement.

Laura

ladymanor1

No i have not yet.I keep checking availability and all the suites I am interested still have the same # available as last week.If they are nto filling up yet I have a better chance of getting a better price the closer we get.I will try next week directly with NCL.My husband whom I was doing this a suprise for says the mini AG is fin and just gives us more $ to spend in NYC,can't argue that logic can I?I have Century 21 already earmarked as a major shopping destination.

Dorothy,

I forgot when your sail date is......we are sailing Sept 26...and although my TA says he will call a week before hand.....if I don't hear from him (it seems that i have to all the work) I will call NCL personally about 3 days before sailing.

Keep me posted how you make out!

Debbie

Archived