Calling all you light packers...

dkc1973

When are you leaving?

If you have time, decant shampoo etc and see how long the travel size lasts for you.

I've figured out how many days I can get out of travel toothpaste, 10ml eye dropper bottle of Argan oil, hair gel in one half of a contact lens case etc.

If you don't have laundry available Febreeze works well.

Look on ladylighttravel.com and onebag.com for more ideas on packing light.

Wow these are really great tips. I tell people I pack like a Girl Scout even though I've never been one. "Better to have and not need than to need and not have." That's my travel motto. Can't find everything in those "cruise" stores or there just isn't time in Port to get to the right store that has what you need. So I bring it.

Even though I am to the point that I don't stress like I use to over packing and just take what I want I will try some of these tips to cut down on the weight of my bags. Plus with the airlines charging more and more for bags it's getting to the point that I need to cut back any way.

Thanks to all for posting your ideas.

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

Pick just one single electronic device and the charger to go with it. You phone can double as a reader and camera. Leave everything else at home. Put your purse in your beach bag and use it as your personal item on flights. It can also hold your travel documents and a few articles that don't fit in your carry on. It's a good place for a little first aid kit and medicine. (Remember, a carry on with wheels may need to be checked. You don't want electronics, documents, or medicine to be checked and out of you control.) Don't bother with sneakers if you aren't going to be doing a lot of walking. Sandals for formal night and casual sandals for daily wear weigh less and take up less space. You can fit more things if you use ziplock bags to hold like types of clothing. Press the air out of the bags to compact them.

Everything that's not clothing or shoes can go in a Toiletry bag, backpack or tote bag. For shoes, wear one and put the other two in the 24" bag (provide you wr as p them in shopping bags or shower caps so they don't stain the clothes or the bag). Since, you're saying you plan to do your laundry on the ship, you can pack even less clothes, maybe like 3-5 outfits with like 7-8 pairs od undies, 1-2 bathing suits and whatever other clothing item you need like bras, socks, or stockings, light swester etc... This is especially true if packing to travel to the Caribbean; for Alaska and Canada, expect your items to be heavier, bulkier and bit tricky to pack for due to the weather.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Pick just one single electronic device and the charger to go with it. You phone can double as a reader and camera. Leave everything else at home. Put your purse in your beach bag and use it as your personal item on flights. It can also hold your travel documents and a few articles that don't fit in your carry on. It's a good place for a little first aid kit and medicine. (Remember, a carry on with wheels may need to be checked. You don't want electronics, documents, or medicine to be checked and out of you control.) Don't bother with sneakers if you aren't going to be doing a lot of walking. Sandals for formal night and casual sandals for daily wear weigh less and take up less space. You can fit more things if you use ziplock bags to hold like types of clothing. Press the air out of the bags to compact them.

Why would you even bring a purse? When I travel I bring a wristlet that doubles as my wallet/purse and easily slips into whatever carry on I'm bringing. I can't imagine hauling an entire purse along, particularly on a cruise.

Why would you even bring a purse? When I travel I bring a wristlet that doubles as my wallet/purse and easily slips into whatever carry on I'm bringing. I can't imagine hauling an entire purse along, particularly on a cruise.

I bring a small cross-body purse that I use almost exclusively for traveling. It's just big enough for my camera and other necessities. It fits very comfortably into whatever tote I am bringing on the plane. I do have wristlets, but find them less secure than this bag, which has traveled over the entire globe with me--I'm on my second of the same exact bag.

I actually like it for everyday use, but it's not made any more so I'm conserving it just for travel, it's so handy.

I think its a personal preference -I need to have purse on me especially in the evening time and port stops like Nassau where I walk around alot to hold my cell phone, passport wallet, bottle of water or drink, little knick-knack purchases like earrings, souviners, etc.. To each their own that works for them, as they say.[emoji3]

Forgot to add, makes it easy for me to whip out the Metrocard to swipe at the subway and buses when lugging my travel gear to the NYC port.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

I bring a small cross-body purse that I use almost exclusively for traveling. It's just big enough for my camera and other necessities. It fits very comfortably into whatever tote I am bringing on the plane. I do have wristlets, but find them less secure than this bag, which has traveled over the entire globe with me--I'm on my second of the same exact bag.

I actually like it for everyday use, but it's not made any more so I'm conserving it just for travel, it's so handy.

I use a cross body as well, but there are times where the wristlet is a better option. I don't always cruise on my vacations, and there are some places that I don't want or need the bulk of a cross body and am not worried about safety.

Zip-lock bags are a tip I got YEARS ago here at CC and it's the best tip EVER. I can get the 2-1/2 to 3 gal bags at the dollar store. You can fit a complete outfit in a zip-lock (shorts, t-shirt and shorts). I scrunch the air out and toss them in the bag. There are even the little bags for the daily pills sold at the pharmacy. These are labeled (am or pm) and tossed into a sandwich size bag. I take a light jacket which I carry/wear on the plane and use often on the cruise. I use neutral colors. Mine are black and tans with tops in other colors that will go with either color pants/shorts. I carry 2 swimsuits (one to wear/one to dry), one cover-up that's thin and that dries quickly. I carry a pair of black dress pants that can be worn with two different tops for the 2 formal nights, and one pair of black sandals that can be worn with formal night or with capri/top for casual dinners. I carry a dress out of the material that rolls into a ball without wrinkling. My shoes are packed in with my clothes in the zip lock bags. I use the little cube type plug in device rather an a power strip. I can plug 3 devices into one outlet spot. I put my shampoo and conditioner in travel size containers, tape the lid to prevent spills and then they go into a zip lock. I carry two hairbrushes. One flat and one rounded, a small make-up bag. I use the hair dryer on the cruise, but recently bought the tiniest hair dryer I've ever seen and it came with the adapter. It packs a lot of power and went with us on our Med cruise because it has an adapter. I never carry a t-shirt for all the days because I've never gone on a trip that I didn't end up buying a t-shirt to bring home. I never leave without over-the-counter meds. I woke in the night with a horrible chest cold, ship shops were closed and when we docked, the island we were on had nothing I could recognize and I wasted several miserable hours. I carry plenty of pills/gel caps for all the usual ailments from upset stomach, colds, antibiotic creams, band-aids, toothache gel, but I don't carry the boxes or big amounts (also in a zip-lock). I also have a large tote bags that I can carry on the islands. It zips into a tiny square and will fold out in a nylon fabric. Takes up no space. I carry a small leather clutch that will double on formal night to casual. Mid-week, I send my laundry bag in on the ship (Royal's wash 'n fold special).

Wow so much info! Can't wait to get home to read and digest it. I'll also upload my list for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Email me and I'll send you my list for self & DH sherri.tillger@comcast.net This pack works for us - would eliminate some for just 7 days - our longest trip 8 weeks in Europe including land, med & River cruise!

I use a cross body as well, but there are times where the wristlet is a better option. I don't always cruise on my vacations, and there are some places that I don't want or need the bulk of a cross body and am not worried about safety.

I use a wristlet too, on board in the evening; it works fine to hold my reading glasses, a tissue, maybe even my camera.

My cross body bag is quite small, so has little bulk. I am going to be so unhappy when it finally wears out as I've never found another that compares. I use it for most traveling, even car trips, etc.

Short list....:eek: :D :D

CLOTHING:

Basics:

-Dress/outfit for informal nights on ship

-Dress/outfit for casual nights on ship

-Shirts of all types (sleeveless, short-sleeved, long-sleeved)

-Pants/jeans

-Shorts (Even in cold weather areas, summers can be warm!)

Personal:

-Undergarments

-Ties

-Pantyhose

-Camisole/Slip

-Belts

-Bathing suit- for hot tubs!

Shoes:

-Walking shoes

-Dress shoes

I find that whatever space I allow myself I manage to fill up, so I just decide I'm taking only a 21" carry on and go from there. My difficulty is always wanting too many clothing and shoe options, I don't take most of the other items you have on your list.

For instance, I don't even use a clock at home, so why would I want one on a cruise? My cell phone (in airplane mode) is a clock, alarm, flashlight, etc. I do often take a camera but it's a tiny point and shoot. I also take OTC meds, but that's all for first aid. The one time I injured myself on a cruise no amount of band aids or gauze would have helped (very badly sprained an ankle). I don't take a fan, the ship has AC and outside is well outside.

I guess it's up to you if you need all this extra stuff to enjoy your trip, but I would maybe try it without once and see how it goes.

My bf and I share a 21" carry on, plus we each have a backpack each. That's for a 2 week vacay, so it's possible.

I bring 3 pairs of shoes. Sneakers I wear on the plane. In my bag are flats that double as water shoes and heels. Make sure your heels aren't big platforms.Even better yet, lower heels, or tops/straps that can squish down.

The most important thing for ladies is to decant all your makeup, hair, and beauty products. Using contact lens cases for hair pomade, eye cream, etc saves a ton of space. Also if you have a collection of samples from Sephora (what lady doesn't?!) bring those.

Go to the dollar store and get meds, such as anti-diarrhea, pain, etc whatever you need. The packs are small.

Clothes, I agree with others. You need a capsule collection. Everything needs to match with everything else. That way your shoes will match with everything too. And the bundle packing really works! I also got some bags that supposedly will compress your clothes and keep the air out. I have yet to try these. 25 more days! :D

I use my backpack for my electronics and makeup. I bring my cell phone, GoPro, compact point and shoot camera, and iPad, along with all my charging cords to go with them.

Everything fits! I'm done with overpacking. No more airline checked bag fees. No more using porters and tipping them. No more waiting for luggage on the first evening. And then getting to walk off early for disembarkation.

Like an above poster said, no, it's not a contest, but I like to pack light. Less to pack, unpack, and repack.

I totally agree with the "no purse" suggestion for a Caribbean cruise. Anything I might need at night - tissues, a lipstick?? - at most go in my husband's jacket pocket or my dress pockets. For the cruise, I need DL, Passport, CC and ATM card plus about $200 cash - for tips, cab fare - at most and ALL of this goes in the cabin safe. Nothing else needed for a Caribbean cruise. So why carry a purse? No need!

This is all we had for a 3 day cruise, but it was the same for a 2 week long non-cruise japan trip in the middle of summer. We each had one travel backpack which is carry on size, along with a day pack that attaches to the big backpack.

i-GMnjTMd-M.jpg

Don't take cotton, not even underwear. Cotton takes forever to dry when you wash it, especially if it's humid. Jeans are heavy and bulky so we take thin, lightweight pants from REI that can also double for somewhat nice clothes. A suit can be problematic because of all the bulk associated with it, so I'm unsure what to do for truly formal nights. For shoes, you only need formal shoes, comfortable walking shoes, and sandals if you go to the beach.

I'm an amateur photographer so I have a big dslr, a travel tripod and the associated accessories so that adds a lot of weight and bulk that most people won't have. A small tablet is invaluable as a book, map, movie player, and internet source. No need for a laptop anymore.

For Ducklite: The Celebrity S Class ships do NOT have clothes lines in the showers. I love this class despite this lack, so I take a portable line which comes with clips. I can use it on the hooks on the door, on the balcony chairs, etc. I bought mine at CVS Drug store, but the Dollar stores often have them.

For Ducklite: The Celebrity S Class ships do NOT have clothes lines in the showers. I love this class despite this lack, so I take a portable line which comes with clips. I can use it on the hooks on the door, on the balcony chairs, etc. I bought mine at CVS Drug store, but the Dollar stores often have them.

Like I said, every cruise line I'VE been on.

I stayed in a hotel a couple weeks ago and needed to hand wash a couple items. There was no line in the bathroom, so I hung one thing over the shower head and another on a hanger and put it over the shower curtain rod with a towel under it to catch the drips.

Every ship I've ever been on has specifically requested that items not be left on the balcony. Personally I think hanging out towels, laundry, bathing suits, etc. makes a ship look like a tenement. My opinion.

A couple tips for those who want to wash some things in the sink:

- Pick clothing that dries easily, like polyester rather than cotton

- Before cruise, launder these items at home in your sink to see how well they dry and how wrinkle free they will be,

- After laundering, straighten them out on a towel and roll up the towel to absorb as much water as possible. You can twist out excess water, then hang on a plastic coated hanger to dry- you shouldn't have enough water left to drip on anything and they will dry faster.

- I like a previous poster's tip re: using an old washcloth cut in small pieces to pack your laundry detergent. I have 3 ounce silicone containers for all liquids, but if I didn't already have then I would try that tip!

Edited by herbanrenewal

A couple tips for those who want to wash some things in the sink:

- Pick clothing that dries easily, like polyester rather than cotton

- Before cruise, launder these items at home in your sink to see how well they dry and how wrinkle free they will be,

- After laundering, straighten them out on a towel and roll up the towel to absorb as much water as possible. You can twist out excess water, then hang on a plastic coated hanger to dry- you shouldn't have enough water left to drip on anything and they will dry faster.

- I like a previous poster's tip re: using an old washcloth cut in small pieces to pack your laundry detergent. I have 3 ounce silicone containers for all liquids, but if I didn't already have then I would try that tip!

I do all that. But, instead of the washcloth/GoToob with detergent, I have moved on to using laundry soap leaves that I found at my local REI store. The dispenser is the size of those Listerine Pocketpack breath strips you find at the supermarket checkout stands. Put what I need in the sink, swish them around in the water and I'm good to go. One less liquid to deal with ;)

We completed 2 months of travel in 1 carry-on each, DH had a back pack & I had a big-a@@ purse!

We did 7 nights by car, 11 night TA cruise, 30 days in Europe by train, 1 week at Disney and 5 night by car home. Did I miss anything - nope. I carried it all from bottles of wine to a coffee maker, real wine glasses, flatware, paper plates, creamers, truvia, umbrellas, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, an 8' extension cord with multi plug end, a sm fan - the list goes on. I also had all of my own shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc...

Never had a problem with anything at any security point.

Traveling with carry-on only is the ONLY way we travel!

Try it - you'll like it!

WP_20130522_001.jpg

This included 4 bottles of wine, 2 glass wine glasses, a small coffee maker with coffee, creamers the little liquid ones, sugar, a supply of paper plates, salt, pepper, real silverware, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, 2 umbrellas, a twin size flat sheet, all of my own shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, etc..., a sport coat & zippered sweater for DH (think layers), 3 prs of shoes for me (white dressy sneakers, sandals black strappy kitten heel) and 2 for DH, (1 black walking 1 sandal) plus all of our clothes. We did laundry 3 times in a laundromat and I washed some things by hand at night.

I don't skimp on comfort things when I travel and I take only the clothes I know I am going to wear.

I use packing cubes for most things except pants - they go in the bottom. I have 3 long jersey knit dresses and 2 short ones that travel really well. I can wear them with heels for dressy or sneakers (not gym type but cute white ones) and short dressy socks or sandals for casual. The long dresses are nice as they are pretty warm in cooler weather. I am not a fan of pants and generally choose a dress unless it is really cold. I had 1 pr pants, 2 prs shorts, 4 shirts, 5 dresses, 1 sweater & all the base garments. I carry a good supply of costume jewelry to dress things up.

DH had 4 prs of pants, 2 prs shorts & 8 shirts.

Plus swimwear - we spent 2 weeks in FL at the end of trip.

It just takes some practice - we haven't checked a bag in almost 15 years. I have everything in travel sizes - my poor 3-1-1 bags are stuffed to capacity!