Packing for NYC and Caribbean

Daisy P

We're spending 5 nights in NYC before our 9 night Bermuda-Caribbean cruise at the end of the month, and I'm busy planning what to pack!

Can I expect NYC to be as hot as it was two years ago when I spent there two weeks in early July and never had to wear a long-sleeved shirt once? What about the ship (Liberty of the Seas)? Is the air-conditioning strong and will I be needing many long-sleeved items there?

I'm travelling from Finland so I'll be wearing long pants and a cardigan for the journey, but other than that I'm planning to take mainly shorts, tops and dresses. Will I be ok?

I'm trying to pack as lightly as possibly in order to save some room for NYC shopping as well as some port shopping!:)

We're spending 5 nights in NYC before our 9 night Bermuda-Caribbean cruise at the end of the month, and I'm busy planning what to pack!

Can I expect NYC to be as hot as it was two years ago when I spent there two weeks in early July and never had to wear a long-sleeved shirt once? What about the ship (Liberty of the Seas)? Is the air-conditioning strong and will I be needing many long-sleeved items there?

I'm travelling from Finland so I'll be wearing long pants and a cardigan for the journey, but other than that I'm planning to take mainly shorts, tops and dresses. Will I be ok?

I'm trying to pack as lightly as possibly in order to save some room for NYC shopping as well as some port shopping!:)

NYC can be very hot in the summer. You can check on NYC weather using this site.

http://www.weather.com/

Once you are on the site put New Your City in the search box, and you will see the forecast for the city.

If you go down to the bottom of the page you can see the monthly avg.

Edited by geocruiser

Yes, NYC will be hot in July. Personally I've never found any ship to be so chilled that I needed to wear long sleeves during the summer. Since you'll already have a cardigan anyway you've got a back-up plan. (Exception: If you get sunburned the AC can feel especially cold on your sunburned skin.)

DH and I are also going to be in NYC at the end of this month for 5 nights, but we're not cruising. I've been there in almost every month of the year and July is usually hot and humid. I'm packing for that type of weather and always wear running shoes to do all our walking. You can pretty much depend on it being at least 80-85 degrees (maybe 90+) and humid at that time of year.

Thanks for all your help!

Packing for NYC and the Caribbean in summer is about the same! Not much variation in the weather from those places IN THE SUMMER!

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear:)

Sounds like I'm on the right track with my packing!

I always walk A LOT when I travel, so I've learned to appreciate comfy shoes and will definitely be wearing running shoes for NYC. What shoes do you guys wear for walking in ports where you're also going to the beach?

Edited by Daisy P

I always walk A LOT when I travel, so I've learned to appreciate comfy shoes and will definitely be wearing running shoes for NYC. What shoes do you guys wear for walking in ports where you're also going to the beach?

I have bad feet and need a lot of arch support, so my days of going on a cruise with a few pairs of super cute flip flops that have no arch support are over. For our upcoming Med cruise (plus a few days in Istanbul) we will be doing a lot of walking and touring, but will probably hit the beach in Mykonos and have 1 sea day. I have a pair of thong-style Vionic sandals that I basically plan to wear every day. Some people can't wear thong style sandal for extended walking but as long as the arch support is there it's not a problem for me, so they'll work for sightseeing/walking, but will also work for the beach and pool. They are stylish enough to meet my "cute" factor while also being very comfy. Here's a link. I think it shows the blue ones but I got the ones that are like a black/white/beige snakeskin, i.e. neutral so go with everything I'm packing for daytime.

http://www.vionicshoes.com/women/sandals/karina-toe-post-sandal.html

Those look really nice!! And I always thought that sandals that are good for your feet and offer arch support would have to have a more sporty look and wouldn't go well with skirts or dresses. I was thinking about getting something like this:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1015862&vid=1&pid=439025022

But now I realise that there are prettier options :)!

I work in NYC and it hasn't been as hot the last two years (IMO) as it has been in the past, I love the summer and the warmer weather though. That said, you can still expect it to be warm.

Those look really nice!! And I always thought that sandals that are good for your feet and offer arch support would have to have a more sporty look and wouldn't go well with skirts or dresses.

Me too, so I was thrilled when I happened upon the Vionics in a local "good for your feet" shoe store. And now that I've looked on the Vionic website, I've seen even more, including some cute wedges. I see more of them in my future!

If you're cardigan matches the dresses and tops you plan to wear in the MDR...you'll be fine. If not...you might want to rethink the one you're thinking of taking. I've alway found the MDR and and walking on deck sometimes late in the evening to be cool. A cardigan is perfect.:D

Hope you have an awesome cruise!

I have never worn a sweater on a cruise, (even onboard in the winter). I have never found it be even cool, much less cold. I go sleeveless all the time and am very comfortable. It will be warm/hot, and normally comfortable onboard. It's usually humid so the temps rarely drop enough for it to feel cool. I usually don't even wear a sweater when we cruise in the winter out of the Northeast US.

So, when someone posts how cold it is onboard, just remember everyone is different and the majority of people are not cold and do not need sweaters. Most I see wearing them are 75+ in age and a small percentage of everyone else.

Edited by BND

I have never worn a sweater on a cruise, (even onboard in the winter). I have never found it be even cool, much less cold. I go sleeveless all the time and am very comfortable. It will be warm/hot, and normally comfortable onboard. It's usually humid so the temps rarely drop enough for it to feel cool. I usually don't even wear a sweater when we cruise in the winter out of the Northeast US.

So, when someone posts how cold it is onboard, just remember everyone is different and the majority of people are not cold and do not need sweaters. Most I see wearing them are 75+ in age and a small percentage of everyone else.

Hi:)...guess we all have different body types and temps too.

I just went on a cruise to Alaska and wore long sleeves every day,

even on the ship and was perfectly comfortable....

Now, as for bringing sweaters, I always bring a cardigan.....no matter

what the itnineray....may not always wear it and it doesn't take up

much space. I think it goes back to when I was a child.....no matter

where we traveled, my Mom always made me take a sweater;)

And as for your age reference, I am 57, not 75.....And I have found

some ships are cold.....oh no, maybe I getting old:eek::o

I live in NC and spend a lot of time outside in the summer (I garden). It's freaking hot & humid here. But I've adjusted over time because I love to grow vegetables:p As a consequence, however, I find that a/c temps are usually set too cold for me (coming in to a 72 degree room from the 95 outside with a heat index of > 100 is normal around here, and that is TOOO cold for me). So, at 42, I too always carry a cardigan;)

[yes, when we have people over to our house, we readjust the a/c setting so others are comfortable in our home - otherwise, we keep it closer to 80]

We're spending a long weekend in NYC at the end of July. I will bring one pair of linen pants but mostly dresses (because that's my style preference). Sleeveless shirts. And yes, a cardigan. My Dansko walking sandals, and not sure what else. Depends on weather, and whether or not we will walk the Brooklyn bridge (we have not done that yet in all our trips, and want to, so if we do I might actually pack walking shoes - otherwise my walking sandals are fine for the city).

Edited by Hoyaheel

Hi:)...guess we all have different body types and temps too.

I just went on a cruise to Alaska and wore long sleeves every day,

even on the ship and was perfectly comfortable....

Now, as for bringing sweaters, I always bring a cardigan.....no matter

what the itnineray....may not always wear it and it doesn't take up

much space. I think it goes back to when I was a child.....no matter

where we traveled, my Mom always made me take a sweater;)

And as for your age reference, I am 57, not 75.....And I have found

some ships are cold.....oh no, maybe I getting old:eek::o

I'm 55. My sister who is cold all the time is anemic and she's 54. My point was, older people tend to be cold even when it's relatively warm. I've just seen several posts from people who say to bring a sweater, yet when I do see anyone onboard wearing one they tend to be elderly. I love going to the mall in shorts and sleeveless top and there is invariably a couple of elderly women wearing coats. Age does impact your ability to regulate body temps.

I'm currently packing/organizing for our trip to NYC in 10 days and there will not be anything with long sleeves (no long pants either) or a sweater. It's prob about 90 here in VA today and humid (will be worse tomorrow and Mon) and coming into the A/C after working in the yard feels wonderful, never cold. When someone complains a room is cold, I tell them that they can put more on, but I can only take so much off.

Edited by BND

When someone complains a room is cold, I tell them that they can put more on, but I can only take so much off.

Ha! I said that to my husband for years! And he knows I mean it, because I will garden naked:eek: (we live in the country)

I live in NYC. It's hot and humid right now, I expect it to be similarly so throughout the month. It may rain some. The key to NYC in my opinion is layers, I always have some sort of cardigan with me but I wear sleeveless shirts pretty much year round. In winter I just put more layers on. And I wear skirts/dresses year round too. In winter I add tights. In summer I swear by skimmies (Jockey makes them) for under my skirts/dresses. Very comfortable and eliminate any "chub rub" and also any concern about accidental flashing.

• 2 weeks later...

On the train right now returning from our 5 night trip. Hot and humid the first two days, hot and less humid the last three. No need for anything like a sweater lol. I don't think it even got below 70 at night.

Just back from NYC and boy was I happy I had a cardigan AND a scarf in my bag because our flight was delayed and the airport (LGA) was FREEZING. My husband pulled out every layer he had in his bag to put on. And EVERYONE was talking about the temps - it wasn't just us;)

But out walking during the day- no, absolutely no need for any warmth layer at all. But since weather conditions change and you never know what the indoor temps will be, I will continue to pack for both ends of the spectrum (at least one item) just in case.....

Just back from NYC and boy was I happy I had a cardigan AND a scarf in my bag because our flight was delayed and the airport (LGA) was FREEZING. My husband pulled out every layer he had in his bag to put on. And EVERYONE was talking about the temps - it wasn't just us;)

But out walking during the day- no, absolutely no need for any warmth layer at all. But since weather conditions change and you never know what the indoor temps will be, I will continue to pack for both ends of the spectrum (at least one item) just in case.....

We went to three shows (Kelly and Michael, Finding Neverland and Penn & Teller) and I wore a sundress to FN, shorts to K&M and capris and sleeveless top to P&T and I was never cold, not even cool. Everyone was dressed for the temps in the city. None of the theaters or restaurants, or anywhere else we were inside were the least bit cold. I'm actually shocked that LGA was cold considering the mayor was on tv last Tuesday saying they were turning all thermostats in city gov buildings to 78 deg and requested everyone do the same.

Edited by BND

Well, we've already agreed we have different internal temps. I'm happy you're comfortable with the way you packed & dressed. I likewise am happy with the way I packed and dressed.

But LGA was totally not 78. I keep my home and my office at 78, so I know what that feels like. LGA (terminal C) was probably 66.

Just arrived home yesterday! It was a great vacation!!

We went to see two musicals (An American in Paris and on the Town) and I thought it was quite cold in the theaters! I was lucky I had a scarf with me. I'm really not used to the strong air-conditioning so to me it felt quite chilly also in some restaurants in NYC as well as the MDR on Liberty. It was nice and warm (well actually HOT) everywhere outside, though, :) and I loved it :D!

Just arrived home yesterday! It was a great vacation!!

We went to see two musicals (An American in Paris and on the Town) and I thought it was quite cold in the theaters! I was lucky I had a scarf with me. I'm really not used to the strong air-conditioning so to me it felt quite chilly also in some restaurants in NYC as well as the MDR on Liberty. It was nice and warm (well actually HOT) everywhere outside, though, :) and I loved it :D!

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip.