Hotels--Madrid and Barcelona

Bruin Steve

Next July 1, we're doing a 13 night "Running of the Bulls" cruise on Celebrity Constellation...

We've booked our flights four nights ahead of the cruise in Barcelona...and, post-cruise, we're planning on taking the train up to Madrid and spending 6 nights before flying home...

For Barcelona (I've been several times...and have stayed at the Hilton on Diagonal, the Gran Havana, the Continental and others)...I was thinking of booking the Continental again as the price and location cannot be beat (136 Euro per night for a Ramblas view balcony)...but, my wife is not thrilled with the choice--she thought the beds were too hard...

So, I am looking into other hotel choices nearby...

I came across the Montecarlo--ranked #15 out of 544 by TripAdvisor.com--only about a block south also on Las Ramblas. The price is only slightly higher but does not include breakfast (14 euro per person per day extra). There is also a confusing assortment of room types--standard, deluxe, view, etc. Has anyone stayed in this hotel that has an opinion they could share? Thanks...

Then, in Madrid...I've been there a couple of times...Last visit, we stayed at the Emperatriz--up in the Salamanca District...Very nice hotel, but a little remote--we found ourselves constantly walking long distances...

Anyone familiar with Madrid have an opinion on where to stay--what part of town, any specific hotel recommendations? We like something nice...but not too expensive...I am picturing that somewhere near the Plaza del Sol or the Gran Via would be the location...but I don't know the town well enough--I could be wrong. we plan on using Madrid as a base and, perhaps, catching tours to Toledo, Avila, etc.

Thanks for any help, recommendations or opinions...

For Madrid, I would look in the central areas from the 'Art Triangle' between the Reina Sofia Museum and the Prada Museum, up to the Plaza Santa Ana in the Cortes district and then over to the base of the Gran Via.

Staying right at Sol or right at Plaza Mayor are not actually the best options and then there are also many good hotels just off the gran via and into the Opera district. There are literally 100s of very good options now in Madrid.

Just to get an idea of the area, The ME Reina Victoria is a great location and then moving over to the new chain from Melia called INNSIDE, with their Innside Hotel Suecia. If you look at a site like Kayak you will get an idea of the large number of quality hotels in this zone. Rooms can be very small, but usually modern and very functional.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187514-d630305-Reviews-ME_Madrid_Reina_Victoria-Madrid.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187514-d5796375-Reviews-Innside_Madrid_Suecia-Madrid.html

Well...For Barcelona, we've now settled on and booked the Hotel Montecarlo. My wife was hesitant to go back to the Continental because she thought the beds were hard.

Montecarlo actually had a great rate for our dates of less than 112 euros per night...but that was for a 20 square meter room "without natural sunlight"...So we spent 142 per night for a larger room--25 square meters--"with natural light"...on a nonrefundable rate (for comparison, our same room we had last time at the Continental--with the Ramblas view balcony--would have been 136 per night). The other difference is that the Montecarlo does not include breakfast. That's an additional 14 euros per person per day and we decided to pass.

We're still debating Madrid. We are traveling with my Sister and Brother-in-law...and he would like to use his Marriott points. But none of the Marriotts look all that convenient to me...

I'm thinking those two Melia properties look pretty good...but wondering what else is out there to consider...We still have almost a year to go...

Agree with MADflyer about location near Plaza Santa Ana / Las Cortes (also sometimes referred as Barrio de las Letras), I always stay there. I don't care for Sol/ Plaza Mayor for hotel, too congested. Many hotels in that area at different price points. July/ August is low season for hotels in Madrid, so you could stay in a really nice property for a very reasonable price. Some of the hotels I've stayed in that area are Westin Palace, Hotel Villa Real, Catalonia Las Cortes , Hotel Madrid Prado. Next month I'll be staying at the NH Palacio de la Tepa for the first time.

You mention you're going with another couple. Another option would be to rent an apt. I've used the company http://www.spain-select.com/ Take a look at their apartments in the "Cortes" area

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a Madrid hotel close to Atocha. It will be for only one night, before we move on to Córdoba the next morning and after coming in for our Ta flight. I would just book the Radisson Blu Prado, since we will be there later on the trip...for four nights. But, I was doing those nights with points, that are now used up. Trying to save a bit.

I was looking at the two AC Hotel properties (Marriott partner) near Atocha...the AC Carlton and the AC Atocha. These would definitely be cheaper than the Radisson Blu. But, my experience has been in most major cities things ten to get seedy by the train station. That said, reading TA reviews, no one has mentioned a seedy area. The other choice, paying a bit more for a NH Collection Paseo del Prado...just north of the Radisson. We do collect NH points...but, don't know if that would be walkable to train station with luggage.

Any recommendations among these location choices?

I'm looking for a Madrid hotel close to Atocha. It will be for only one night,

I was looking at the two AC Hotel properties (Marriott partner) near Atocha...the AC Carlton and the AC Atocha. These would definitely be cheaper than the Radisson Blu. But, my experience has been in most major cities things ten to get seedy by the train station. That said, reading TA reviews, no one has mentioned a seedy area. The other choice, paying a bit more for a NH Collection Paseo del Prado...just north of the Radisson. We do collect NH points...but, don't know if that would be walkable to train station with luggage.

Any recommendations among these location choices?

While I would not call the area near Atocha seedy, it is true that there south of the station it is a little more 'urban'. Paseo de prado and Atocha street itself are better. That said, you will certainly manage for a one night stay if you were to choose those AC hotels. Just be observant at night or in the early AM.

You seem to be wanting to collect points, but you do have many many options in that zone.

You do have the NH Madrid National which is much closer and more walkable near to the Atocha metro station, the Atocha Renfe station is the train station itself, but you can just walk around the Atocha circle that is crossed in sections. This is a very high traffic area and these streets around Atocha are the main communication for switching to the different zones of Madrid.

You also do not need to walk if you wanted the NH Paseo as there are many busses that will get you to Atocha in a couple minutes.

The Husa Paseo del Arte is a very good choice in that area. This is a very established Spanish chain. The hotel is a nice 4 star choice.

When arriving to Madrid you can take the set price taxi to the city for 30 euros all inclusive and they will drop you anywhere you want. You can then buy a 10 trip stamp transport ticket that makes using busses and the metro very inexpensive as well and this can be shared.

While I would not call the area near Atocha seedy, it is true that there south of the station it is a little more 'urban'. Paseo de prado and Atocha street itself are better. That said, you will certainly manage for a one night stay if you were to choose those AC hotels. Just be observant at night or in the early AM.

You seem to be wanting to collect points, but you do have many many options in that zone.

You do have the NH Madrid National which is much closer and more walkable near to the Atocha metro station, the Atocha Renfe station is the train station itself, but you can just walk around the Atocha circle that is crossed in sections. This is a very high traffic area and these streets around Atocha are the main communication for switching to the different zones of Madrid.

You also do not need to walk if you wanted the NH Paseo as there are many busses that will get you to Atocha in a couple minutes.

The Husa Paseo del Arte is a very good choice in that area. This is a very established Spanish chain. The hotel is a nice 4 star choice.

When arriving to Madrid you can take the set price taxi to the city for 30 euros all inclusive and they will drop you anywhere you want. You can then buy a 10 trip stamp transport ticket that makes using busses and the metro very inexpensive as well and this can be shared.

Thanks, Paseo del Arte does look promising...prices are very good. Actually seems to be a better value than AC Hotels and a very good location ( we don't collect Marriott, I was just happy with an AC stay we had in Lisbon a few years ago).

What do you think about the Hotel Atlantico or the Iberostar Las Letras...both on the Gran Via?

Las Letras is a little more upscale part at the end of gran via. Atlantico is very good location depending on needs. There is noise at Atlantico 24 hours a day as many activities from offices to shopping to bars and restaurants to open all night , night clubs. If you ended up on lower floor at Atlantico, you might have real noise issues. Not sure if Atlantico has renovated again as this hotel never had much profile, but now on top trip advisor listing.

Both are on the extremely busy gran via with 24 hour traffic. This would be like staying right on Times Square in New York, some love it some hate it.

What do you think about the Hotel Atlantico or the Iberostar Las Letras...both on the Gran Via?

I don't like la Gran Vía for the reasons mentioned by MADflyer. My parents and sister stayed in the Atlantico a few years ago and told me you had to be careful when coming out of the hotel not to literally be run over by people!

Thanks again Madflyer. Booked the Paseo del Arte - it was only 115 Euro for room with breakfast. Location is perfect - on the north end of the train station and close to the art area. Free wifi and room upgrade for booking on their site.

It might be a better deal than two of my nights at the Blu, which were cash and points (no breakfast almost same price). Our other two were straight points. But, I don't want to move during the 4 nights we return. Hoping for gold card upgrade to free breakfast there.

Thanks again Madflyer. Booked the Paseo del Arte - it was only 115 Euro for room with breakfast. Location is perfect - on the north end of the train station and close to the art area. Free wifi and room upgrade for booking on their site.

It might be a better deal than two of my nights at the Blu, which were cash and points (no breakfast almost same price). Our other two were straight points. But, I don't want to move during the 4 nights we return. Hoping for gold card upgrade to free breakfast there.

I am glad that worked out. Hotel rooms in Madrid are notoriously small, but other than that, I think you will find both your stays pleasurable. Have a great trip.

I am glad that worked out. Hotel rooms in Madrid are notoriously small, but other than that, I think you will find both your stays pleasurable. Have a great trip.

Yes have run into some small rooms. But, cruise ship cabins aren't huge.

And, in Seville, the Alfonso XIII was running a 4 night for the price of 3 special...so I really splurged there and booked the larger room. Using points in Córdoba also...so this trip to Spain is working out to be my best value vacation ever ( used FF points for air)!!! Even the Parador I booked in Ronda was a very good price. Geeked and looking forward to this trip very much!:)