Which tripod do you recommend?

We are doing a private excursion (just the 2 of us) with the following tour company:

http://www.hawaiianphotos.net/kauai_tour_info.htm

Along with lenses for our Canon 60D, they've suggested a tripod. We went to Best Buy and spent an hour tinkering around today. What do you recommend and why? We'd like something that is light weight and that folds down very easily into a tube type shape. We are willing to spend money if it is worth it. This is something we plan to take with us on many trips in the future.

What lenses do you own, and what lenses might you own in the future?

I read a great article years ago that basically said if you want to own a good tripod, you can either spend $1100 or $1700: you can either buy the $1100 tripod first, or you can buy a $75 tripod, then a $150 tripod, then a $275 tripod, and then the $1100 tripod. :)

We have a Manfrotto 055CX4 (I think) and I really like it. Lightweight thanks to the carbon fiber legs. Versatile as the center post can go sideways. On top we've put a Markins Q3 ballhead, which is now starting to show that our newer heavier lenses probably need a Q10 instead. The Q3 doesn't creep when we look away, but it does seem to flex a bit when a lot of weight (albeit a 1Dx on a 70-200/2.8, so that weight is hanging a fair distance back from the ball) is applied.

If nothing else, pick ONE style of plate/clamp, as you'll be buying these for years. I recommend the Arca-Swiss style, as it is well standardized (we use Markins ballhead, Really Right Stuff clamps, rented Wimberley gimbal heads, Wimberley lens plates, etc. with no compatibility issues).

I can feel your frustration in selecting a tripod. I've gone thru it twice! The first time, I made my selection based on price. My second selection was based on other factors.

The first thing you should do is Google "how to buy a tripod." Look for buying guides that list factors to consider.

After your research I suggest you write a list of the factors that are important to you. To me, the most important factor is weight rating followed by tripod weight and construction. Consider the weight of your camera and heaviest lens. Now determine if a heavier camera or lens is in your photography future. I didn't consider that, and when I upgraded to heavy telephoto lenses, I needed another tripod and head.

Once you determine the "perfect" tripod for you, it's time to go find it. You can take that list to Best Buy or a local photography store. Or you can search on-line. I start my searches on-line at B&H Photo. I suggest B&H only because the site has a very good filter system to narrow searches for equipment.

If you go to B&H Photos website, start at the Support Equipment page. From here you can start to narrow your search. Decide if you want to search for just a tripod or a tripod and head combination. If you start looking for just a tripod, you'll need to do a separte search for a tripod head.

Once you've made a decision and gone to the next web page you can scroll down and look on the left side of the screen to select the factors from the list you made earlier. When you have finished selecting from the list, you'll see what B&H has that meets your factors for that "perfect" tripod. Now you need to decide where to make the purchase. If you're lucky, you can find a local store that has it in stock and you can pick it up right away.

Good luck and happy "hunting!"

I'd advise you if you want the best to check out Really Right Stuff tripods. I thought Gitzo was great but RRS goes beyond that. RRS is not normally sold in retail stores but direct. There are threads all over the internet about the company.

For travel their TVC-24 is ideal.

Number of Leg Sections = 4

• Load Capacity = 40 lb / 18 kg

• Max Height = 49.2 in / 125 cm

• Minimum Height = 4.0 in / 10 cm

Folded Length = 18.7 in / 47.5 cm

• Weight = 3.2 lb / 1.5 kg

The short folded length of only 18.7 inches means it fits in a carryon bag with a very low weight of 3.2 lbs.

My2cents

framer

Edited by framer

Take a look at Induro tripods as well, they have some really well rated tripods that are quite light and weather resistant. I also have to agree with peety3, arca-swiss is a really good way to go for clamps.

It really does depend on what lenses you intend to use and how much shoulder ache you are prepared to endure.

I have had a Manfrotto tripod for several years and it allows great results but is bulky and heavy so I don't take it on air travel, merely car trips and shortish walks. I have just bought a Manfrotto monopod and intend to take it on an extended trip soon. It is great for providing reasonable support and allowing a slower shutter speed but of course has the drawback that it needs to be supported, unlike the tripod. It's much lighter but still solid.

My advice is to spend a little time at a camera shop, speak to the staff there and play with their stock, remembering that bulk and weight all have to be transported!

As previous posters have said, your needs now may well differ from the future but as tripods are (relatively) inexpensive purchases any future change in circumstances need not be too costly.

Thanks for all the replies. We believe the heaviest lens we have is a telephoto 70-300mm, but I'd have to check against the other ones we have since I'm not confident.

Currently our cameras are out to be cleaned before our next two trips.

We now realize we have much to research. We plan to look into all your recommendations. Thanks again! :)

I would advise you to stay away from any brand that has fixed to tripod head and any brand that has non standard camera plate. Get carbon fibre tripod with Arca Swiss type ball head. If on the budget but still insist on highest quality product look at Sirui. I had collection of Giottos, Velbon and Manfrotto heads that all used different camera plates and I found it so frustrating that I dumped the lot.

Edited by burchan