Hobart (Tasmania) or Melbourne (Australia)

ilovhywd

Hi!

We are looking at two itineraries that are similar, except that one goes to Hobart and one goes to Melbourne. What are the pros and cons of each port that would help us make an educated decision.

This will be our first trip to that area of the world. Thanks!

I'd choose Hobart if you are able to do a tour to Port Arthur, one of the most interesting places I've ever visited.

I'd choose Melbourne if you just want to do a city tour--more to see there than in Hobart.

Hobart has much easier access to the city as the dock is literally in the city. Also a lovely cruise up the bays and river approaching the port. Essential to visit Salamanca markets if in Hobart on a Saturday, if not go visit all the fine old buildings around the port and enjoy some local refreshments:D

Lots of other things to do such as visit the old penal settlement at Port Arthur or go on a tour to Mt Field National Park or Bonorong Wildlife Park. Or even do a jet boat ride of the coast line - office is right on the docks.

Melbourne city is some distance from the dock at Port Melbourne and requires a Tram ride into the downtown area where you can catch a free city circle tram. Lots of quirky little shops in the lane ways between the main streets. You could however just go swimming on the bayside beaches next to the pier. There are also bicycles for rent on the foreshore. Other options include excursions to wildlife parks, wineries, or the Great Ocean Road.

My choice would be Hobart.

Both are great places to visit, but we absolutely loved Hobart and would love to go back for an extended stay.

We rented a car for the day and drove out to Bonorong Wildlife Park, Richmond and then to the top of Mt Wellington for superb views. We fell lucky as our visit was during the wooden boat festival which was fascinating.

Thanks for all of your responses. We chose the itinerary with Hobart.

Newbris - I was unaware of this issue. In trying to be geographically precise, I guess I was politically unprecise. Hope I haven't offended anyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi rather than start a new thread, it should be suitable to post in here. I will be stopping in Hobart for a day and have rented a car, I was thinking about doing the following:

Go to Mount Wellington in the morning, then head off to Barrilla Bay for oysters, then stop by the remarkable caves on the way back, then when back in the cbd stop by some of the cathedrals. Is there anything I should do while in hobart or what I have planned will pretty much take up the day? Thank you.

Archived