Back from South Georgia and Antarctica- thanks to all

beth555

Just want to thank you all for the information you supplied on the Antarctica especially dileep. We have been back about a week now off the Prince Albert II. What a amazing trip. I am not sure any words can describe it. I am so glad we took a ship that made landings and if anyone is considering the trip I would say save up and do the landings and zodiac tours. There is nothing like standing in a 400,000 king penguin rookery (South Georgia) or seeing the comic antics of the adelies. The beauty of Antarctica is hard to describe but I will never forget the dinner where the captain took us so close to the tabular icebergs it was like you could reach out and touch them. On top of that it was a great place for whales. The captain would constantly announce whales and everyone would get up from dinner and go look side by side. What great fun. If you look back on these threads we were originally on the Clelia II, and due to a change in itinerary we switched to Silversea Prince Albert II and I am glad we did. When we arrived back at Usheria both the La Boreal and the Clelia II were in port due to problems. I understood that Clelia II was going out soon. We had a great captain and expedition staff and it was a trip of a lifetime.

Beth555,

I am glad you had a great trip. I was on the ship that sent the satelite phone to the Clelia II during the storm and what I saw in the rough seas made me very glad I was on the Explorer. We also saw the La Boreal in Ushuaia, later I read they had problems and had to cancel a cruise. I have a picture of the PA II when we passed by it in the Errera channel on our way to Neko Harbor. I know that I was so worried about clothes and such, but all the info I gleened from these pages was a big help. I hope you plan on writing a review, I know that I will, because there are so few reviews about Antarctica. Are your pictures up somewhere?

Julie

Beth, I am so happy for you. I am glad that you had the courage and determination to overcome your health issues. There is no way to describe it. You just have to experience it. Seeing someone else's movies and pictures is so inadequate!

Julie, I will be in the Explorer (Lindblad) on next July 2011 to the Artic. Could you kindly post some information about the ship such as amenities in the room, dress code for dinner laundry facilities and any other information you consider relevant?

There is few information about this ship and about cruises to the Artic.

My first choice for this cruise to the Artic was PAII, but she is fully booked, so I will try Lindblad first time.

Waiting for reports and photos from those who've cruised this year so the rest of us can relive/live through your experiences :-)))

I did my big Kapitan Khlebnikov trip in Nov/Dec and am STILL sorting through over 8000 photos ! I just cant pic a favourite!!!:D:D

I did my big Kapitan Khlebnikov trip in Nov/Dec and am STILL sorting through over 8000 photos ! I just cant pic a favourite!!!:D:D

Picking Favs ... impossible when you visit a place like Antarctica ... I gave up and just went with posting a lot :-))))

Julie, I will be in the Explorer (Lindblad) on next July 2011 to the Artic. Could you kindly post some information about the ship such as amenities in the room, dress code for dinner laundry facilities and any other information you consider relevant?

There is few information about this ship and about cruises to the Artic.

My first choice for this cruise to the Artic was PAII, but she is fully booked, so I will try Lindblad first time.

My DH and I have just returned this past Wednesday from the Explorer in Antarctica. The cabins are roomy with comfortable beds. The bathroom has a hair dryer, liquid shower gel and shampoo, and body lotion in a dispenser. There was no conditioner. The shower is the biggest of any we have encountered in cruising.

Laundry was sent out and although the slip said next day they were very prompt and usually it came back the same day. There are no public laundry facilities. Everything we sent out came back in great shape. There is a clothes line in the bathroom for drying hand washed items or things that have gotten wet.

The dress code in the dining room was very casual. Everyone was dressed neatly but no dress clothes at all.

The ship and her crew were very nice. Everything was clean and in working order. There were lockers for each cabin in the mud room for storing boots. We brought our trekking poles but didn't need them as there were plenty available in the mud room to borrow.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Explorer. We had a fantastic time aboard.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you still have.

Linda

One more question: is internet access available in the Explorer?

WiFi access is available in the Lounge and Bistro areas. We plugged in to the internet in the cabin and had good luck connecting. There were 3 different plans available for purchase, we chose the mid-range package that was $55 for 100 minutes.

Linda

Archived