Med In Jan & Feb-Missed ports due to rough sea's?

I have'nt actually cruised in the Med in January/February and don't know of any cruise lines that do. The weather isn't generally that good, don't know about rough seas but the temperature isn't that warm. Personally I would give it a miss, I wouldn't consider a Med cruise much before May.

We haven't done the Med in Jan/Feb, but in 2007 we did one of the early March sailings and then again in Nov. The March 07 was our first cruise and we did not find the seas rough overall. The mornings were quite chilly and we had layered clothing, sweaters and jackets and gloves. By afternoons it warmed up considerably, but usually I still needed the sweater.

It really depends on personal preference. I do not like hot weather, so sweater or jacket weather is okay for me. We are going again this Nov. The weather in Nov. is still quite pleasant and last year, people were still around the pool, although in March I don't recall many at all at the pool. Of course, the Med cruises are very port intensive, so you will be very busy every day visiting wonderful sites!

I have'nt actually cruised in the Med in January/February and don't know of any cruise lines that do. The weather isn't generally that good, don't know about rough seas but the temperature isn't that warm. Personally I would give it a miss, I wouldn't consider a Med cruise much before May.

The Med is an April to October season and probably best in June and September. :)

As one might have noticed - the Med. Sea during this Jan/Feb. season is...off season. MSC and Costa still do cruises (but have sent the majority of their fleets to the Carribean and elsewhere)...There may be others. I did a Costa cruise the 2nd half of Jan. and we were fortunate or it's normal enough, to find relatively calm sea - Savona/Katakolon, (Olympia) Greece/Athens/Izmir/Rhodes/Cypus/Alexandria, Egypt/Rome/Savona...except for the trip back towards Itay, nasty seas reported, our ship (Costa Concordia) went around the worst, and it resulted in even calmer sea than predicted...the ships will do what is possible to avoid the worst rough sea - docking is one problem that they may not be able to handle, but, since off season, can go to atlernative ports, for example in Greece or Turkey, to permit passengers to see the same sites on land...somehting less possible when the 'Season' starts and other lines are using many of the same ports...

...Our experience - glad we did it in January, I can imagine (but can't imagine myself there during the summer!!!) Olympia/Athens/Ephesus/Rhodes/Cyprus/Alexandria(Cairo) or even Civitavecchia (Rome) in high (summer) season. The ships are very well designed, they are also prepared to aid sea-sick passengers (not a problem for me, but one must consider personal sensibilities)...LOVELY without the Spring/SUMMER/Fall hoards of people!!!!

HOWEVER...the is one other negative note to consider - one sees such beautiful islands and beaches and the water is too cold!

We also sailed the Concordia "off season" last Feb. Perfect cool touring weather--no crowds. Only on our way back into Civitavecchia did we have rough seas during a storm.

Going off season is great--you can actually see the sites in peace--and afford to stay in a nice hotel in Rome pre or post!!!

Can anyone tell me their experience cruising the Med in Jan & Feb?

How rough were the sea's?

Did you miss any ports?

Thanks!

We went last year on MSC MUSICA early January from Genoa to Naples - Piraeus - Rhodes - Alexandria - Tripolis - Civitavecchia and back to Genoa.

No port was skipped.

One night between Alexandria and Tripolis was rough.

We liked it!

So we booked for next year January again MSC FANTASIA:

Genoa - Barcelona - Gibraltar - Madeira - Teneriffa - Lanzarote - Malaga - Civitavecchia - Genoa

again.

It cannot be worse than our Transatlantic on QUEEN VICTORIA this January.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived