FLL to POM

bowen9475

We are considering a flight into FLL and a cruise out of POM the next day. Are there any FL hotels that will transport you to POM? If not, what do you suggest for transportation? Also, what is the earliest flight home out of FLL we should plan on when disembarking in POM? Thank you :)

The Hilton Garden Inn FLL Airport has a POM cruise pkg. It is round trip transportation but I believe that they bring you back to their hotel and not directly to FLL airport. It appears to be set up more for Park & Cruise. If the hotel offers a complimentary airport shuttle then it would be easy just to then take that over to the airport. Here is the link if you wanted to check rates etc... http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hilton-garden-inn-ft-lauderdale-airport-cruise-port-FLLFHGI/offers/100029074.htm

We used QLS for our pick up from our FLL hotel to POM and then from POM directly back to FLL airport. No, issues what so ever.

We were on a 7 day cruise, Sat to Sat . I do not know if this is a popular cruise day or not but the FLL airport was a complete zoo. The line to go through security was snaked down a side hallway. Once through security, which BTW took forever, the airside portion was wall-to-all people. No seats at our gate, the restaurants were all full with a line waiting to get in, the stores and bathrooms had very long lines...... it was just a mess.

We had 2 pm flights. We were off the ship by 8:30 , grabbed our shuttle and was to the airport by 9:45. We checked our bags with our airline, again a long line and did not get through security until after 12 noon. I do not know if this is the norm as it was the only time that I have used FLL airport.

If I used the FLL airport again, I probably wouldn't book a flight before 1 pm. This is if I was sailing from POM. It may be a little different from Port Everglades or could be totally different depending on what day of the week your cruise is on.

I don't know if this helped you or not but it was our experience with that airport.

:)

It depends on where you stay in Miami, but it's difficult to find a hotel that offers a shuttle. The closer you get to the port, the fewer you will find that will do the shuttle.

We fly into FLL as well due to flying with Southwest and we use SAS transportation. QLS is another option. Both seem to get good reviews. When we cruise out of miami we stay at either at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami or the Intercontinental. Both are pretty close to the port. But neither offer a shuttle service the next day to the port. But honesty, you don't really need it. The port is literally like 5 minutes away and you can easily flag a taxi. It's about a $10-12 +tip taxi ride to the port. Depending on how many you have in your group you would probably save money doing the taxi vs. a shuttle because you're likely not going to find a free shuttle, but more likely a pay per person shuttle.

Edited to add:

Earliest flight I would be comfortable is 11:50-noon. We easily made an 11:50 flight using SAS shuttle on our way back to FLL. However, we self disembarked off the ship and were some of the very first people to leave the ship that day. So it can easily be done, but it can be stressful. So Noon is probably the earliest I would book

Edited by kelkel2

It is a 45-60+ minute drive from the FLL area to POM; any hotel offering "free shuttles" is just building the cost into their rate. You are better off IMHO choosing your own hotel and booking your own transport.

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and lodging info. SAS, QLS, MJS and Go Airport Shuttle are suggested here often with fares starting at about $15 per person each way.

I flew into FLL and sailed the Getaway out of POM. The Hilton Garden Inn had an airport shuttle and also to the port with a package which also included breakfast. They then took us back to the FLL Airport directly from the Pier. It was great! The room wasn't that expensive either which when combined with all the transfers was well worth it! Hotel is also within walking distance to shopping, etc. They also have a shuttle for restaurants, etc. the night before if you want-we just walked everywhere.

Edited by Dectwins06

I flew into FLL and sailed the Getaway out of POM. The Hilton Garden Inn had an airport shuttle and also to the port with a package which also included breakfast. They then took us back to the FLL Airport directly from the Pier. It was great! The room wasn't that expensive either which when combined with all the transfers was well worth it! Hotel is also within walking distance to shopping, etc. They also have a shuttle for restaurants, etc. the night before if you want-we just walked everywhere.

Hilton Garden Inn in FLL has a free shuttle to POM? :confused:

Hilton Garden Inn in FLL has a free shuttle to POM? :confused:

They have a stay and cruise pkg that includes it..They have one for POM and there were about 10 of us on it :) I thought it was a good deal since the airfare was cheaper into FLL saved me money from Airport to hotel, hotel to pier and then pier to airport and included breakfast for only 170 a night when we went.

Thanks for the info on the Hilton Garden Inn. We are flying in to FLL in April and cruising out of Miami the next day. The Hilton Garden Inn offered the best deal for an overnight stay plus shuttle to POM. They have a free shuttle that will pick us up at the airport when we fly in and then they have a shuttle service that will take us to POM the next day. It was $250 total including taxes.

I originally wanted to stay in Miami but the hotels that are close the port were about $300 for the night plus we would have to take a taxi to get to the hotel and everything I was finding said a tax would run us about $75-80. Plus a tax to the port the next morning which I know is very cheap. We would then need to get a tax or shuttle back to the airport when we came back from the cruise. I could easily see it costing us $500 for one nights hotel stay plus transportation to and from.

I agree! I shopped around and it was a good deal with the transfers! They also will take you back to the airport after the cruise which I didn't realize it included until they gave me the number to call on the way to POM. We bought water and pop, etc. that night as well and walked to Red Lobster. It's a nice location and had a nice pool area with hot tub.