Livorno private driver- any referrals?

QuattroRomeo

Hi maidncruze-thanks for your response. We have used a couple of well known limo companies in Italy, but have not come across any CC comments yet for livornotoflorence.com.

We intend to do Florence without a tourguide as such, just looking for reliable transportation there and back.

After checking the rules for the ports of call forums, you can recommend companies if it is in response to a request.(I assume this is to prevent companies from advertising themselves)! Anyway, if you can suggest or recommend someone else, that would be helpful too!

Thanks.

dogs4fun and I-Cruiser-

I am thinking of contacting Tuscany by Taxi to take us to Florence from the port in October. Could you give a brief description of how your day went. How much time did you have in Florence (we plan to DIY it)? Were they at the dock when they said they would be? Were they waiting for you at the appointed place and time? The reviews on Trip Advisor (not my favorite site) were so so. The really bad one was back in 2011 and the reviews since then have been good to excellent but there aren't many of them. Just want to make sure we get there :). There are 4 of us to start and I'm sure I can get more from our roll call.

Thanks in advance.

<<<Karen>>>

Our driver was waiting for us at the pier. We were among the first 50 or so to get off the ship & were well on our way before anyone else. Our driver was great ... pointed out sights all the way to Florence ... very affable guy.

He met us right on time at the end of the day.

We allowed some wiggle room getting back to the ship. I believe that we had about 7 hours in Florence.

Before I left for Europe, I again contacted Tuscany by Taxi to reconfirm ... might also help to make you feel a little more secure if you do this as well. :)

Edited by dogs4fun

Thanks dogs4fun :). I usually contact the tour people several times before we leave :o. I guess I worry too much and especially if I have others booked. They are counting on me to "make it happen" and I don't want to let them down.

<<<Karen>>>

My husband and I are interested in renting a car in Livorno and driving to Lucca for the day and sightseeing along the way at our leisure. I am having a hard time finding a car rental that is open on Sundays (that is the day our ship will be at port in Livorno) Any suggestions would be welcome.

We used Tuscany by Taxi also and loved them. We left the ship and went straight to the overlook of Florence, then down into Florence. We arranged to meet across the city by the Pont Vecchio bridge. So nice to have our driver waiting. Then we went to Pisa for about 45 minutes. Our driver was Ricardo and he was full of interesting information plus made sure we found a bathroom the appropriate times. Really a wonderful stress less day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
We used Tuscany by Taxi also and loved them. We left the ship and went straight to the overlook of Florence, then down into Florence. We arranged to meet across the city by the Pont Vecchio bridge. So nice to have our driver waiting. Then we went to Pisa for about 45 minutes. Our driver was Ricardo and he was full of interesting information plus made sure we found a bathroom the appropriate times. Really a wonderful stress less day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can you share how much Tuscany by Taxi charged for the transportation for the full day?

We just received a quote from privatetourinitaly.com for a full day tour from Livorno and another one in Messina that were very reasonable. Researching the reviews of this company, it looks great and they have been very quick to respond to questions via email.

They were also responsive to some itinerary changes we wanted to make and super flexible. If you do not see the exact tour you want on their site, contact them and they will work with you.

We are also using RomeInLimo in Rome - they offer tours in both ports also but are a little more expensive. I am interested in comparing the two companies.

I will definitely post a review when I return - I am hoping the tours are as good as they sound!

dogs4fun and I-Cruiser-

I am thinking of contacting Tuscany by Taxi to take us to Florence from the port in October. Could you give a brief description of how your day went. How much time did you have in Florence (we plan to DIY it)? Were they at the dock when they said they would be? Were they waiting for you at the appointed place and time? The reviews on Trip Advisor (not my favorite site) were so so. The really bad one was back in 2011 and the reviews since then have been good to excellent but there aren't many of them. Just want to make sure we get there :). There are 4 of us to start and I'm sure I can get more from our roll call.

Thanks in advance.

<<<Karen>>>

Our driver was waiting for us at the pier. We were among the first 50 or so to get off the ship & were well on our way before anyone else. Our driver was great ... pointed out sights all the way to Florence ... very affable guy.

He met us right on time at the end of the day.

We allowed some wiggle room getting back to the ship. I believe that we had about 7 hours in Florence.

Before I left for Europe, I again contacted Tuscany by Taxi to reconfirm ... might also help to make you feel a little more secure if you do this as well. :)

Our day with TBT was the same. We made a photostop just outside Florence so we could make some panorama pictures.

We spent 5 h hrs in Florence.

My husband and I are interested in renting a car in Livorno and driving to Lucca for the day and sightseeing along the way at our leisure. I am having a hard time finding a car rental that is open on Sundays (that is the day our ship will be at port in Livorno) Any suggestions would be welcome.

From my research, it would be worth your while to arrange a rental car before you go. You will also be advised to acquire an international drivers license before leaving home. Note: We have been on the autostrada in Italy - not a place for the faint hearted. They drive FAST!

Some interesting and beautiful side trips from Pisa if you have a rental car: visit Torre del Lago Puccini; a small town on the shores of Lake Massaciuccoli where Puccini lived. Another cool site is the town of Barga, north of Lucca on the edge of the Garfagnana region and the Apuane Alps. It is said to be one of the most beautiful medieval walled cities in Tuscany, and it does not get the tourist crowds of some of the other cities.

Do you mind sharing the cost the TBT charged for the Florence transport?

This was a few years ago now so I cant recall exactly but I remember it was very inexpensive for the car. Maybe we paid euros 120 for the car and we were 6.