Whole lobster vs lobster tail

leela8

I was on the Liberty last august on the MDR menu it had lobster upcharge for 20 a Whole main lobster. I was on the breeze in Feb. and the upcharge lobster said lobster tail? I am going on the conquest in April which one is correct in the MDR whole maine lobster or maine lobster tail for 20.00 from the steakhouse.

I was on the Liberty last august on the MDR menu it had lobster upcharge for 20 a Whole main lobster. I was on the breeze in Feb. and the upcharge lobster said lobster tail? I am going on the conquest in April which one is correct in the MDR whole maine lobster or maine lobster tail for 20.00 from the steakhouse.

$20.00 seems cheap for a whole lobster to be served in the MDR. Great deal if you can get it. My guess would be lobster tail. Your best bet would be to ask your waiter before ordering.

I am asking someone who knows not guessing...I believe it has changed with the American table vs regular menu this is the regular menu

great seafood and premium aged USDA beef,

seasoned and broiled to your exact speci􀏐ications.

a surcharge of $20.00 applies to each entrée

steamed whole maine lobster

1½ lb, served with drawn butter

* surf & turf

maine lobster tail and grilled 􀏐ilet mignon

* broiled 􀏐ilet mignon

9-oz. premium aged beef

* prime new york strip loin steak

14-oz. of the favorite cut for steak lovers

baked idaho potatoes - steamed white rice

french fries - assorted steamed vegetables

I ordered the $20 lobster on the Dream about a month ago and it was a whole lobster. They cut the shell in half for you and you get both claws along with the body and tail. It was very good and well worth the additional charge.

$20.00 seems cheap for a whole lobster to be served in the MDR. Great deal if you can get it. My guess would be lobster tail. Your best bet would be to ask your waiter before ordering.

Funny how expensive Lobster can be in some places. Whole Live lobsters are 6.99 a pound in my local grocery today and they run just over a pound each. I have seen them as low as 4.99 a pound in the last year. Two years ago in Maine, I paid $2.50 a pound for live lobster.

I would expect Carnival buying in extreme bulk would get them for well under $5 a pound.

This is from the Carnival site on options available:

Following a successful pilot program that introduced select dishes from our steakhouse restaurants in the main dining rooms aboard four ships, Carnival Cruise Lines will roll out the new Steakhouse Selections fleetwide beginning the week of August 28, 2014.

The Steakhouse Selections, which are offered nightly, include a 1-1/2 pound Maine lobster, 9 oz. filet mignon, 14-oz. New York strip steak, and surf and turf (broiled Maine lobster tail and filet mignon). Steak offerings feature prime aged beef. The entrees are $20 each. The Steakhouse Selections augment the existing wide array of complimentary choices from our appetizer, entrée and dessert menus that are part of the main dining room offerings.

In January my DH ordered the whole lobster on our first night in the dining room and was presented with a small tail, he was rather unhappy and complained and asked for the rest of it. He was told that it was a superior lobster tail... He was also refunded the upcharge and the rest of the week the menu read lobster tail.

I'm thinking that if it's the old menu still it might be the whole lobster. I know for a fact that the new menus have just the tail. Anyone out there on the conquest or the valo that can help with this?

Funny how expensive Lobster can be in some places. Whole Live lobsters are 6.99 a pound in my local grocery today and they run just over a pound each. I have seen them as low as 4.99 a pound in the last year. Two years ago in Maine, I paid $2.50 a pound for live lobster.

I would expect Carnival buying in extreme bulk would get them for well under $5 a pound.

They also buy beer for about $1.00 each and add another $5 to $6 bucks. Coke about $.20 and add another $1.80. This is business.

I believe that the whole lobster is only offered for the first day or two of the cruise. Without a proper tank that circulates sea water, you cannot keep lobsters alive more than about 2 days in the fridge. And you cannot freeze a whole lobster. I think they do frozen Maine lobster tails after the whole bugs run out (and that folks, is a cardinal sin :eek:).

While the North American lobster is frequently called the Maine lobster, they may or may not actually be from Maine. I know the Maine Lobstermen's Association is constantly fighting to protect the "Maine" label.

Really, the cost of lobster depends on the time of year (lobstermen prefer not to go out in winter :o), and the distance they are transported, again because of the requirement for either dry ice packing (like we do to ship by air), or in water tanks at stages along the route.

On every menu in the main dinning room there is a section that says steakhouse selections, you can order from the list of 4 or 5 entrees for an additional 20.00.

The menu on the Liberty last August had 11/2 lb whole maine lobster steamed. On the Breeze in Feb. the selection read Maine lobster tail. Did Carnival change from whole lobster to lobster tail? If anyone KNOWS the answer please respond or if anyone is on a ship right now and can read the menu and report it that would be great.

It may vary per ship but when I was on the elation I opted for the whole lobster for 20$ and it was worth it. It had the claws. Ironically it looked like two lobsters cut in half because I had 4 claws and 2 tails split in half.

It may vary per ship but when I was on the elation I opted for the whole lobster for 20$ and it was worth it. It had the claws. Ironically it looked like two lobsters cut in half because I had 4 claws and 2 tails split in half.

Just a side question, and one probably only of interest to an aficionado, but when you say it was the whole lobster, but then say it was split tails and claws, was the head and body part of the split tails? Just asking, because that could be the difference between fresh and frozen lobster. If you remove the tail and claw arms, you can freeze this, but if the head is still attached, then it was fresh, as this part goes bad if frozen. Personally, there is no way I would pay a $20 up charge for a frozen lobster.