Do Balconies Have Outdoor Outlets?

None of the ships I have been on had them and I am very glad. there is no sound proofing between balconies for for you to listen means everyone has to. I have had enough afternoons on the balcony ruined from people playing load music on a balcony.

no they do not have outlets.

it's general cruise etiquette to not listen to music on the balcony out of consideration for those around you and their 'quiet enjoyment' of their own balconies... i actually ran across this earlier:

Don’t blare music on your balcony: On a recent cruise, the passengers in a balcony near us brought a stereo and thought it was a good idea to blare rap music on it. While you might enjoy jamming to rap music, would you want someone blaring polka, heavy metal, jazz, barbershop quartets, salsa, or any other type of music that you didn’t like? You want to sit outside and listen to loud music, that is what the pool deck is for. After all, have you ever heard a passenger say, “the music on the lido deck isn’t loud enough”. It is probably a safe bet that the guests in balconies near you do not listen the same type of music that you do. Someone in another cabin did complain to the crew and everyone around us was able to enjoy peace and quiet on our balconies for the rest of the cruise. - See more at: http://cruisefever.net/0802-things-you-should-not-do-on-a-cruise/#sthash.7cCfowse.dpuf

i'm not sure if it's explicitly published somewhere for balconies, it does say on the prohibited items list:

Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments on board, however, if a noise complaint is received, the instrument will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

Radios/Boom Boxes: For the comfort of all our guests, radios and boom boxes can be used with headphones or earpieces when used in public areas.

so be aware that others can make noise complaints and it may result in being asked to stop, or having a device confiscated. headphones may be your best bet.

I'm not real technical, but we use the little wireless, bluetooth speakers and our cell phone for music on the balcony. Works great. To answer your question, I don't remember ever seeing an outlet on our balcony

If you play music on your balcony I would suggest headphones. Your neighbors may not appreciate the music when they would rather be listening to the calming sound of the ship skimming through the ocean. PLEASE BE COURTEOUS.

I would also second the headphones, earpods, earbuds, etc.

Even if there were an outlet on the balcony, would be highly doubtful that it would be 120VAC anyway. If I remember correctly, most hotel functions onboard are 240VAC, with the one outlet per stateroom wired for 120VAC.

I don't think it would be a good idea to put an electrical outlet on balconies on a cruise ship.

Think about it: When there are storms or high seas, the waves do spray onto the decks and balconies, coating everything in large amounts of salty ocean water.

Now think of what happens when salt water hits an electrical outlet...Salt water is corrosive and conducts electricity very well.The outlet could electrify anything touching it (including any water the cord was touching) and over time the electrical wiring attached to the outlet would corrode.

Doesn't sound very safe all around.

And please don't play music on a boom box on your balcony. Many people would like to enjoy their stateroom balcony in peace without loud music blaring.

Thank you in advance on behalf of everyone in the balcony staterooms on your side of the ship. :-)

Seems like it's all about moderation. If your music is only loud enough for you to hear I can't see why it would be any more of a problem than talking on the balcony. It isn't bad etiquette to talk is it?

If you play music on your balcony I would suggest headphones. Your neighbors may not appreciate the music when they would rather be listening to the calming sound of the ship skimming through the ocean. PLEASE BE COURTEOUS.

I agree!

Personally, I'd rather catch an occasional whiff of smoke from a neighbor's balcony than be forced to listen to their music.

Thankfully have never had anyone rude enough to play their music without ear buds or headphones though.

Seems like it's all about moderation. If your music is only loud enough for you to hear I can't see why it would be any more of a problem than talking on the balcony. It isn't bad etiquette to talk is it?

Agreed. Some of these people act like the only options for music are silent or blaring

I agree mattp420. Music at a reasonable sound level is no different than people yacking on their cell phones, slamming balcony doors, or arguing with each other on their balconies. I've heard all of those things on my balconies. It just goes with the territory on a cruise. I think if you want complete solitude, you need to take a different type of vacation. After all, on a cruise you are confined with 2 or 3 thousand other people and some of them will no doubt annoy you in one way or another.

I think practicing tolerance is as important to etiquette as practicing moderation is. And I also think one should think about that before one starts preaching to the choir.

I have never seen an electrical outlet on a cruise ship balcony.

I took my earphones and my small speaker with us. The speaker I was able to set on the table and it was so quiet that even when my parents came out they barely heard it and we had the divider open between our balconies. I use my earphones when I am on the Lido or want to listen a bit louder.

The small speakers are great for a balcony because they are not very loud.

In my opinion someone listening to music at a low volume is no different than someone having a conversation on their balcony. As long as your music is played at a low volume, bring a speaker and enjoy your balcony. Be respectful and keep the volume low. Nowhere does it state that balconies are "quiet zones."

A lot of people, it seems, jumped to the conclusion that the original poster was going to play music loud enough for everyone to hear! I don't think he said that. He just saud he wanted to listen to music. I would think that we would all plan to use headphones any time we listened to music on the balcony! We barely talk on our balcony out of respect for our neighbors who might want to enjoy the quiet of the ocean!

Beverly

The original post was a question about an outlet to play a musical device...and responders just commented that there isn't one and if the op wants to listen to music on his balcony that he be respectful of his neighbors. What is so wrong with answering the question with a small caveat.

I will not be wearing headphones because my DH could not hear the music. If it bothers you, ask POLITELY and I will gladly turn it down as would not want to bother anyone enjoying their vacation.

Edited by cruising maniac